diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 3000/24 issues

In my 24V manual the Solar Charger states that it's maximum is 80A *24V - 1920w so you are slightly over paneled.
Correct. The folks at SS didn't seem to have any concerns with the connected PV array. They sold it too me. I've never gotten close to 2000 watts from my array.

I now have 2 growatts running in parallel. I only have 1000w of PV connected to the 2nd unit so far.

Correct. The folks at SS didn't seem to have any concerns with the connected PV array. They sold it too me. I've never gotten close to 2000 watts from my array.

I now have 2 growatts running in parallel. I only have 1000w of PV connected to the 2nd unit so far.
many modern MPPTs have the overpaneling rating state in the handbooks these days.
I have not seen such a value from Growatt yet.

Doesn't mean you can't do it, just wanted to point out the discrepancy.

many modern MPPTs have the overpaneling rating state in the handbooks these days.

I've been running this model since January with zero issues, the over panelling isn't an issue as the inverter allows you to limit the maximum power the inverter pulls from the panels. Remember that solar panels don't push energy the way a battery does. (All or nothing) The inverter takes what is needed depending on the charge requirements and running load

Hope you don't mind some random questions, but I'm kind of lazy today and can't find the answers on the vendors' sites...

Has anybody tried mounting GP4 batteries and a Growatt combo in their 3-Space rack mount?

Does the Growatt have an automatic transfer switch from grid to battery?

Can you control the charge rate when connected to 120V grid?

Hope you don't mind some random questions, but I'm kind of lazy today and can't find the answers on the vendors' sites...

Has anybody tried mounting GP4 batteries and a Growatt combo in their 3-Space rack mount?

Not sure what GP4 batteries are...
Yes Growatt has built in ATS, Yes charge rates from grid can be adjusted but for the 3kw 24v model I think the maximum is 60amps from grid charging

yes and yes

One mistake I made I calculated the charge rate with a 24V base 60A * 24V (wrong) - but the grid charger works with the charge voltage (set up to 29.2V) - Will recommends 28.8V

60A * 28.8V = 1728W going into the battery and the Growatt draws about 1800W from the grid while doing that + whatever you got running at that point.

I am having a similar problem with the same inverter sold to me by the same company.
My inverter just went dark. No alrm or beeps or any kind of warning.
They really seem not to care about their customers.
I am full time RV and today marks two weeks of running off the genny 24/7.
One person at Signature Solar told me that they know more than Growatt and in fact, Growatt calls them for advice.
What I took from that is Signature Solar sold me an inferior device they don't believe in manufactured by an inferior company they don't believe in.

Did it really take you 6-7 weeks to get this worked out with them?
Any suggestions other than scorched earth on review sites, BBB, so on?
I'm calling the CC company today.

Thanks.

I am having a similar problem with the same inverter sold to me by the same company.
My inverter just went dark. No alrm or beeps or any kind of warning.
They really seem not to care about their customers.
I am full time RV and today marks two weeks of running off the genny 24/7.
One person at Signature Solar told me that they know more than Growatt and in fact, Growatt calls them for advice.
What I took from that is Signature Solar sold me an inferior device they don't believe in manufactured by an inferior company they don't believe in.

Did it really take you 6-7 weeks to get this worked out with them?
Any suggestions other than scorched earth on review sites, BBB, so on?
I'm calling the CC company today.
It took me about 3 weeks to get the situation resolved. It was very frustrating.

Call them relentlessly. I think your gonna have to talk to James. Make sure you have your return label in your inbox before you let them off the phone.

I think a few of the techs know a great deal about the Growatt but not the ones I spoke with initially. James seems to have a lot of confidence it the product.

In the end they made things right and I even bought a second unit.

FWIW All this information, and more, was in another long thread that was deleted. I'm not happy about that but I'm sure admin had their reasons.

It took me about 3 weeks to get the situation resolved. It was very frustrating.

Call them relentlessly. I think your gonna have to talk to James. Make sure you have your return label in your inbox before you let them off the phone.

I think a few of the techs know a great deal about the Growatt but not the ones I spoke with initially. James seems to have a lot of confidence it the product.

In the end they made things right and I even bought a second unit.

FWIW All this information, and more, was in another long thread that was deleted. I'm not happy about that but I'm sure admin had their reasons.
What was the resolution?

I've been running this model since January with zero issues, the over panelling isn't an issue as the inverter allows you to limit the maximum power the inverter pulls from the panels. Remember that solar panels don't push energy the way a battery does. (All or nothing) The inverter takes what is needed depending on the charge requirements and running load

This is good to know. I have this and carefully did not overpanel. Will have to find it in the manual - if you know where it is, great.

UPDATE:
Ian at Watts247.com is AWESOME! https://watts247.com

I called Watts247 because they were mentioned a lot in the forums and I wanted a second opinion on whether the Growatt was up to snuff and whether the whole All-In-One thing was a good idea.

Ian asked me what was going on and practically insisted on helping me diagnose the problem.
In less time than I have spent trying to get SS to respond to me I learned that the unit has an internal fuse and it had blown.
Ian even sold me a replacement for a very nominal fee.

The fuse was able to blow because the breaker between my battery and the inverter was too large.
I ordered a smaller breaker (150 amps) and should be back up and running early next week.

I bet most of those "blown main boards" are simply blown fuses.
It would be nice if Growatt moved that fuse into the user serviceable area of the inverter.

I also wish SS had better customer service.

Can you show us the picture of the fuse as to where it is located?
What is the rating of the fuse?

blownfuse.jpg

The fuse is 200a/58v and is located under the main board. I circled it in red.

Thanks! Good to know that they have internal fuse for the battery charger output just in case the external breaker/fuse is too large or no breaker/fuse installed.

Thanks! Good to know that they have internal fuse for the battery charger output just in case the external breaker/fuse is too large or no breaker/fuse installed.
I agree. An internal fuse was one of the first things I tried to search for.
I couldn't find anything.

I am a newbie to Solar and have noticed that while placing a breaker/fuse between the batteries and inverter is shown on diagrams and recommeded in manuals, there isn't really much in depth on sizing it properly.

Back