diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 3000 24 volt shutting down.

Dmarkwa

1) I just received my 24 volt 200 amp battery yesterday. Came in good shape. Thank you to sig solar for that. I hooked it up to the Growatt 3000 24 volt which I bought from sig thru AMAZON as far as I understand and charged the battery. Worked great. Then after unplugging the Growatt from utility power to test the Growatt ran for about 5 hours. Great. The then the Growatt shut off with the battery still showing 3 led lights of charge. I was only running a few lights, a refer and lcd tv. I reset the Growatt and it started and shut off again in under a minute. Is there a log I can read in the Growatt or someone I can send the Growatt settings to to figure out why?

2) Also I connected the Growatt to the battery using the correct ports and Ethernet cable l. But can’t find anywhere in documentation about what that Does and how it should be set up.

3) I received with my battery a USB stick with a green connector on the end meant for two wires. No idea what that is for.

Thank you for helping me out.

Mark Weiss
435-363-6363
Logan Utah
Dadweiss@mac.com

I have the same inverter but don’t use the data cable. Sounds like low voltage cut off is set to high but I don’t know if that is adjustable using data cable. I use mine on user defined not lithium. You could go that route until you figure it out.

Yeah, I think most everyone does the 'user defined' setting. I'm in a campervan with excess panels and battery for my needs, so only problem I had was the BMS as Ian mentions over and over... seems most of them give the GW a problem... so I don't use one any more... haven't needed the alt to battery convertor yet either... checked out ok, and I setup a long set of extension cables for the iSDT meter... so I can turn it on/off from the drivers' seat when or if ever needed...
Did you call Ian or the dealer you bought it from? They should be able to help make sure you have the correct settings for your setup? Sounds like a settings problem.... took me a while to figure that out as well.

Thank you for the response. When I first got the Growatt I was in user defined mode. Then when I got my G4 battery I was encouraged to switch to lithium set up and that’s when I’ve had the problems. It seems like I bought a G4 thinking it had ta BMS that would communicate with the Growatt. But it looks like it doesn’t do that very well. I also haven’t been able to hook up the software to be able to see the different cells within the G4. So I’m hopeful today that I have the correct computer settings to at least be able to monitor the G4. It looks like I’m switching to user defined. Thanks again.

Yeah, I think most everyone does the 'user defined' setting. I'm in a campervan with excess panels and battery for my needs, so only problem I had was the BMS as Ian mentions over and over... seems most of them give the GW a problem... so I don't use one any more... haven't needed the alt to battery convertor yet either... checked out ok, and I setup a long set of extension cables for the iSDT meter... so I can turn it on/off from the drivers' seat when or if ever needed...
Did you call Ian or the dealer you bought it from? They should be able to help make sure you have the correct settings for your setup? Sounds like a settings problem.... took me a while to figure that out as well.
Who is Ian? I have been dealing with Francis and GW and Adam at signature.

1) I just received my 24 volt 200 amp battery yesterday. Came in good shape. Thank you to sig solar for that. I hooked it up to the Growatt 3000 24 volt which I bought from sig thru AMAZON as far as I understand and charged the battery. Worked great. Then after unplugging the Growatt from utility power to test the Growatt ran for about 5 hours. Great. The then the Growatt shut off with the battery still showing 3 led lights of charge. I was only running a few lights, a refer and lcd tv. I reset the Growatt and it started and shut off again in under a minute. Is there a log I can read in the Growatt or someone I can send the Growatt settings to to figure out why?

2) Also I connected the Growatt to the battery using the correct ports and Ethernet cable l. But can’t find anywhere in documentation about what that Does and how it should be set up.

3) I received with my battery a USB stick with a green connector on the end meant for two wires. No idea what that is for.

Thank you for helping me out.

Mark Weiss
435-363-6363
Logan Utah
Dadweiss@mac.com
List all your GW settings here. Most likely you have a setting that isn't correct.

I'd forget about BMS to inverter comm, not needed unless you really "think" you need it. Your system will work fine without once you set up the GW correctly.

Here are my no BMS settings. User defined I think will work. It’s just that I bought the G4 Lifepower expecting it to work so it’s disappointing that I paid for something and it doesn’t work. Sig Solar has bee NL helpful. It’s the battery/BMS that seems bogus.

I just saw this thread. Are you still running into issues?
Yep. Just tested it again today. Battery shut down after 2 hours and shunt saying 180 amps before shut down. GW was shut down too. Red led. I reset the battery and like before, 4 green lights. I’m still in lithium mode but I tried setting #21 to 5%. Thinking low voltage shut off was possibly the culprit. No joy. My pc is connected now. But “test” software doesn’t show history or error codes even with password.

I’d like to buy another battery so I had two that are working but I’m hesitant since this one doesn’t work with lithium settings. You guys sent me a hub by mistake. Then a cable that works on the pc with the “test” version of the software. (I was using the wrong software) thinking I’d find an error message. Didn’t. Call me if possible. I could need addition help although Adam has been responsive.

435-363-6363

Mark

Let me make it clearer.
I am still running right now in lithium mode. Hoping to get that working. The settings above are proposed settings for user defined mode. My thought was to move to user defined and test. If it works and doesn’t shut down, likely the BMS communication in the G4 is a problem. The battery charged just fine. Just shutting down prematurely.

Without pulling cell voltages you can't determine if the BMS is shutting things down. You could go to User defined, back the charge voltage down to 28.0 or 27.5V and see what occurs. Float at 0.5V less than Bulk charge setting.

I'll wager the BMS is shutting this down. I'd determine what is causing the shutdown before using lithium mode again.

My Growatt SPF3000 shutdown unexpectedly last week for no apparent reason. No alarms, no error codes, nothing. I freaked out and checked everything. Nothing gave me any clue as to why it shut down. As I started to pull everything apart, I noticed the power cable on the positive battery terminal was loose. It wasn't fully disconnected and looked like it still made contact. Apparently when my Growatt was pulling 2000 watts several hours prior, there was some sparking at the positive terminal. It left some burn marks behind. Even though it was still connected, the Growatt wouldn't power on even with no load. I shut off all of the PV inputs, disconnected the power cable, reattached the power cable, and the Growatt came back to life. It's been working fine ever since. I suspect it was some kind of protection circuitry that shut it down because it was midday and my solar panels should have been providing full current.

@Dmarkwa were you ever contacted. I sent your info over to my support team but I know we were extremely busy on Monday (back to back calls). If not I'll get with Adam regarding this issue.

My Growatt SPF3000 shutdown unexpectedly last week for no apparent reason. No alarms, no error codes, nothing. I freaked out and checked everything. Nothing gave me any clue as to why it shut down. As I started to pull everything apart, I noticed the power cable on the positive battery terminal was loose. It wasn't fully disconnected and looked like it still made contact. Apparently when my Growatt was pulling 2000 watts several hours prior, there was some sparking at the positive terminal. It left some burn marks behind. Even though it was still connected, the Growatt wouldn't power on even with no load. I shut off all of the PV inputs, disconnected the power cable, reattached the power cable, and the Growatt came back to life. It's been working fine ever since. I suspect it was some kind of protection circuitry that shut it down because it was midday and my solar panels should have been providing full current.
Uhhh.
Apparently, you don't own a torque wrench.
When you discovered the loose wire and arc damage, did you check ALL(as in every single) connection in your system?
Prolly shood!

Back