diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 3000 48v ballance charging Fla?

Groscout

Solar hunter
Good peak sunlight hours, fellow photon herders. I have a Growatt 3000TL LVM-48, one that has the unexplained settings between setting 43-48 Etc. In my search to find info on how to balance charge Fla batteries i found that the 43-48 magical mystery settings appear to be explained in a user manual intended for a different product: SPF 3000TL LVM-ES in this manual on page 20 you will see what i believe to be an explanation for my mystery settings. This is my first post and thread, thanks for your input!

Good peak sunlight hours, fellow photon herders. I have a Growatt 3000TL LVM-48, one that has the unexplained settings between setting 43-48 Etc. In my search to find info on how to balance charge Fla batteries i found that the 43-48 magical mystery settings appear to be explained in a user manual intended for a different product: SPF 3000TL LVM-ES in this manual on page 20 you will see what i believe to be an explanation for my mystery settings. This is my first post and thread, thanks for your input!
Hi Groscout,

I am also looking for help in configuring these same settings on my Growatt 48v 3000TL.

My understanding is the FLA batteries require equalization charging each month, and this setting lets you do that.

Hi Groscout,

I am also looking for help in configuring these same settings on my Growatt 48v 3000TL.
Good evening Swannie, I'm curious what the manufacturer of your batteries specify for equalization charge voltage and duration. Although duration is usually determined by specific gravity. The reason i say this is because 58.4v, 14.6v per battery is no where close to whats needed to equalize my batteries: 15.5-16v is.

Changing the Growatt settings to auto "equalize" charge is pretty straight forward. Page 22 of the above mentioned user manual explains how to set it up using setting 43-48.
"43 Battery equalization, Battery equalization enable, Battery equalization disable(default)
44 Battery equalization voltage Default 58.4V, 48.0V~58.4V Settable
45 Battery equalized time Default 60min, 5min~900min Settable
46 Battery equalized timeout Default 120min, 5min~900min Settable
47 Equalization interval Default 30days, 1 days~90 days Settable
48 Equalization activated immediately"
My understanding is the FLA batteries require equalization charging each month, and this setting lets you do that.
My first post was a bit rhetorical and poorly formulated question about the maximum balance charging voltage of the Growatt in question. '58.4v or 14.6v per 12v battery' being too low to actually balance. From what little information i could gather online and on the forum, equalization charging won't occur at that voltage rather it will "refresh" the battery.

Since my first post, the bench charger for my future LFP build showed up which allowed me to equalize charge each battery to 16v until the specific gravity stoped rising. This was done the day after I did a "refresh" with the Growatt. After an equalization charge my useable amp hours went from somewhere around 36-38 to 70, 11 short of new.

Hi GroScout,

Ian at Watts247 said those settings are only for lead acid batteries. I have LiFePO4 so I will not be using settings 43-48.

Hi GroScout,

Ian at Watts247 said those settings are only for lead acid batteries. I have LiFePO4 so I will not be using settings 43-48.
Yes that is correct only FLA need equalization. LFP do not. They require top balancing.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point I'm going to say any AIO or SCC that claims to support a FLA battery is false unless it can equalize charge. My Growatt is limited to 58.4v which doesn't allow me to equalize charge thus it doesn't support FLA. Or you could say it works with FLA until equalization is required.

This is almost completely irrelevant to many Growatt users because most of us are using LFP. What I'm getting at is if you want to use FLA untill you get your LFP don't expect your Growatt to do the job. You will need a power supply or other means to equalize your FLA batteries.

Good evening Swannie, I'm curious what the manufacturer of your batteries specify for equalization charge voltage and duration. Although duration is usually determined by specific gravity. The reason i say this is because 58.4v, 14.6v per battery is no where close to whats needed to equalize my batteries: 15.5-16v is.

Changing the Growatt settings to auto "equalize" charge is pretty straight forward. Page 22 of the above mentioned user manual explains how to set it up using setting 43-48.
"43 Battery equalization, Battery equalization enable, Battery equalization disable(default)
44 Battery equalization voltage Default 58.4V, 48.0V~58.4V Settable
45 Battery equalized time Default 60min, 5min~900min Settable
46 Battery equalized timeout Default 120min, 5min~900min Settable
47 Equalization interval Default 30days, 1 days~90 days Settable
48 Equalization activated immediately"

My first post was a bit rhetorical and poorly formulated question about the maximum balance charging voltage of the Growatt in question. '58.4v or 14.6v per 12v battery' being too low to actually balance. From what little information i could gather online and on the forum, equalization charging won't occur at that voltage rather it will "refresh" the battery.

Since my first post, the bench charger for my future LFP build showed up which allowed me to equalize charge each battery to 16v until the specific gravity stoped rising. This was done the day after I did a "refresh" with the Growatt. After an equalization charge my useable amp hours went from somewhere around 36-38 to 70, 11 short of new.
15.5 to 16? What battery you have?

dang just use max setting if needed but for me 58 is too high

This may help clear things up a little bit. Don at interstate batteries sent me a super helpful equalization charging scheme for SRM-24/deep cycle/marine batteries 'flooded lead acid' see attached PDF.

Attachments

• SRM and Marine Battery Charging Scheme.pdf
    84.5 KB · Views: 18
This may help clear things up a little bit. Don at interstate batteries sent me a super helpful equalization charging scheme for SRM-24/deep cycle/marine batteries 'flooded lead acid' see attached PDF.
Growatt inverter is not suitable for Tubular Lead Acid Batteries. I have SPF 5000ES with C10 Luminous batteries - 200 AH and i am experiencing troubles with the charger. The Bulk charge required for those batteries is 59.2 volts.
Sako inverter which is cheaper than Growatt has a charger more suitable for LA batteries.

You can use User Defined setting for battery type, set your own float and absorb settings, then use equalization setting with appropriate setup only for LFP balancing cycle when you desire.

I have the same thing my manual didn't come with information for those setting numbers, if you find the user manual online it will have the information for the setting number 43-48. Another thing is that on the Shineapp it lets you set the voltages until 62v instead of 58.6v like the manual says.

Back