diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 3000 LVM possible inverter issues

I have had the same problem with the flickering led lights for about a year and I was out mowing my yard and I noticed the ground wire attached to the grounding rod on my utility pole where my electric meter is mounted was loose, so I tighten it up and I have been flicker free for over a month.

I have had the same problem with the flickering led lights for about a year and I was out mowing my yard and I noticed the ground wire attached to the grounding rod on my utility pole where my electric meter is mounted was loose, so I tighten it up and I have been flicker free for over a month.
I wish I could say that the ground was my issue. We went over every inch of the installation and could not find anything. I had two certified electricians helping me and it was determined that two inductive motors (fridges) running at the same caused the extreme distortion in the voltage and frequency of the inverter output. We went over the grounding and tried several different grounding methods with no luck.

I switched over to a Giandel inverter I had on hand and all worked just fine. I finally installed a Victron Energy Quattro and it runs flawlessly. I really liked the Growatt a lot. I loved the size, features and compact package. It was easy to install, configure and it was priced perfectly.

I just got a replacement Growatt 3000 for the one I was having issues with. Tested it over the weekend and it was the same results as the first one. It will run any load without issue, until it comes to the 2 freezers. The voltage/wattage freaks out and bounces all over the place. I have verified ground(s) multiple times, doesn't make a difference.

I wonder if a line conditioned on the two motors you identified would have fixed the issue. I might have to look into that myself.

I wonder if a line conditioned on the two motors you identified would have fixed the issue. I might have to look into that myself.
I did look into installing line filters, but the electricians highly recommended against it, plus the extra cost. When they saw the EXTREME voltage and frequency fluctuations, they firmly suggested getting the Growatt out of the equation. The electricians literally laughed saying they never saw anything like it. I have repeated this over and over, but I temporarily replaced the Growatt with a small 2200W Giandel inverter and all of the issues disappeared. I finally installed a Victron Energy Quattro, and again, very clean stable power. The Growatt was the problem.

I run two full size fridges, chest freezer, wash machine and much more all at once and no issues. The Growatt just couldn't handle two fridges running at the same time. And I will repeat this as well. I really wish it would have worked. The Growatt is such a great product that simplifies a solar installation, needing very little space and yet packed full of features. I hope that the future brings changes that will resolve this issue. There are many reports of the exact same issues I had. All of those issues disappeared with other inverters.

I did look into installing line filters, but the electricians highly recommended against it, plus the extra cost. When they saw the EXTREME voltage and frequency fluctuations, they firmly suggested getting the Growatt out of the equation. The electricians literally laughed saying they never saw anything like it. I have repeated this over and over, but I temporarily replaced the Growatt with a small 2200W Giandel inverter and all of the issues disappeared. I finally installed a Victron Energy Quattro, and again, very clean stable power. The Growatt was the problem.

I run two full size fridges, chest freezer, wash machine and much more all at once and no issues. The Growatt just couldn't handle two fridges running at the same time. And I will repeat this as well. I really wish it would have worked. The Growatt is such a great product that simplifies a solar installation, needing very little space and yet packed full of features. I hope that the future brings changes that will resolve this issue. There are many reports of the exact same issues I had. All of those issues disappeared with other inverters.
Not doubting you at all. I still have LED light flickering issues on my LV2424 when the load is low. I am used to turning on stuff for no reason just to get the power draw high enough (>150) so the lights stop flickering. I plan on running 2 LVX6048's on my new home and hope that I don't see issues like what you have described. Worse case I will rely on the grid until I can find the right fit.

Not doubting you at all. I still have LED light flickering issues on my LV2424 when the load is low. I am used to turning on stuff for no reason just to get the power draw high enough (>150) so the lights stop flickering. I plan on running 2 LVX6048's on my new home and hope that I don't see issues like what you have described. Worse case I will rely on the grid until I can find the right fit.
Don’t take this the wrong way, but adding load to resolve an issue only masks the issue. There is an inherent problem with the Growatt. I speak only about the 3000w unit I had.

When I replaced it with the Giandel, and ultimately the Victron, the issue was fully resolved and I don’t have to add loads. The extreme voltage and frequency fluctuations are definitely not good for your devices/appliances.

This repeatedly reported issue still has not been addressed by Growatt as it is still an active complaint by users. I personally wish that Growatt would resolve this as it is still a product I would love to have.

I hope your flickering resolves with the additional Growatt. Keep me informed. Thanks!

I hope your flickering resolves with the additional Growatt. Keep me informed. Thanks!
My LV2424 is actually MPP Solar, so it goes beyond Growatt. My biggest issue right now is that I am not at the location most of the time, so I haven't had time to experiment to try to fix the issue. My house is almost done (I hope) so I hope to have more time in the future. I will likely just replace the LV2424 with something bigger as I actually start using the garage. There is room for another 31 panels on the roof :)

Aren't both Growatt and MPP made by the same parent company; Voltronic Power? A sharing of production and design between brands could include a sharing of issues.

Aren't both Growatt and MPP made by the same parent company; Voltronic Power? A sharing of production and design between brands could include a sharing of issues.
Not sure, to be honest. If they are, I think Voltronic might just be the contract manufacturer. Most of the Voltronic branded units I see on Voltronic's website have better specs even though they look the same physically to MPP Solar.

Back