diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 3000 panel readout - accuracy issues?

Electrobob

I have a Growatt 3000 24v unit. I have it connected to 4 HQST panels each is 100w, 5a, 20v. They are wired in series to the Growatt. I expected to see 100w, 80v & 5a approx. under full sun. The panel is showing 217w, 8a & 65v. How can this be?

Also, the battery SOC indicator seems nearly useless. When running loads it will show 100% charge with no loss until suddenly it quits and then shows 1 or 2 bars. Same with recharging. I have 2 12v SOK 100 amp batteries that I did charge separately before wiring in series. I ran them till the Growatt shut off. Then after an hour on the panels it is showing four bars again!? How can that be?

anyone else noticing this or know of a fix?

Attachments

• 47B2F7E2-FB77-4A01-A91E-5C044DF1488D.jpeg
    47B2F7E2-FB77-4A01-A91E-5C044DF1488D.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 17
I´m new to solar, so I can´t help a lot, but as watts are volts multiplied with ampere, it should be more like 400W, 80V & 5A. What the panel is showing seems entirely inconsistent as 8A * 65V = 520W. Maybe there´s something solar tech I´m not understanding here :D

It´s concerning me a bit to read about Growatt here on the forum as it seems my best option here in Uruguay, but of course it´s mostly those who have problems that write.

the SOC indicator is useless as its just guessing based on battery voltage which for LFP is nearly flat so its not going to give you anything meaningful.

Efficiency drops as panel temp goes up so you rarely see rated panel output as that is only at very specific conditions. (not to mention smoke/haze/clouds/panel angle) As Fred pointed out, your watts is volts * amps.

The unit will only draw the power needed from the array. so if your load is small and your battery is charged it doesn't matter how many watts of solar you have, you'll see the MPPT regulate the incoming power down to an appropriate level.

You can download the monitoring software and interface with the growatt (or setup the wifi dongle if you have it) and screen cap software as that will give a snapshot of all the parameters of the unit at once instead of having to scroll through all the readings on the front as things change.

the SOC indicator is useless as its just guessing based on battery voltage which for LFP is nearly flat so its not going to give you anything meaningful.

Efficiency drops as panel temp goes up so you rarely see rated panel output as that is only at very specific conditions. (not to mention smoke/haze/clouds/panel angle) As Fred pointed out, your watts is volts * amps.

The unit will only draw the power needed from the array. so if your load is small and your battery is charged it doesn't matter how many watts of solar you have, you'll see the MPPT regulate the incoming power down to an appropriate level.

You can download the monitoring software and interface with the growatt (or setup the wifi dongle if you have it) and screen cap software as that will give a snapshot of all the parameters of the unit at once instead of having to scroll through all the readings on the front as things change.
Are you happy with your Growatt? Inspite of the hiccups in the start :)

I´m happy to hear that :) It seems like it´s the best option here in Uruguay. I´m considering the SPH-5000 TL BL-UP, that has higher charging/discharging capacity and fast switching between grid and battery.

Back