diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 3000 & solar panel set up for charging 24V battery

mblass

Hello,

I would appreciate some help from someone familiar with the Growatt model. I currently have it charging a BTYD 24V LiFePO4 Powerwall from Big Battery with no issues at all. My current set up has 8, 100W/12v panels in total. Currently, I have 2 panels in series and then they are all combined in parallel ( I think the nomenclature is 2S4P but you can correct me on that) to a 4 string PV combiner box.

So here is where I show more of my ignorance, since I am charging a 24v battery, can I change the panel configuration so that I have 4 in series and 2 parallel? Will that matter to the charge controller and to the battery? My worry is that the Growatt would attempt to charge my battery as if it was a 48V battery. My assumption is that it will not based on my setting but I just want to make sure I am right.

I would still be below the max open voltage for the charge controller (145V) as the VOC for each panel is 21.3v and in series that would add up to 85.2v. The reason I am looking to change my configuration is to reduce the number of parallel strings so I can add more panels using the existing combiner box. Thanks.

Yeah you need to look at the 2 circuits as separate. The charge controller section is essentially a lithium battery charger for a battery bank, which runs off of a DC PV input source. PV circuit and battery bank really aren't related, except that you want to have the PV voltage some order of magnitude higher than the battery bank voltage, so that the MPPT circuit has flexibility in pulling down the volts on the input to increase the amps (as it's sweeping to find max watts), then it adjusts it to battery voltage and amps to get the proper charge rate...

Yeah, and as long as you're under max PV input voltage by a reasonable amount then you're fine.

Last edited:
Yeah you need to look at the 2 circuits as separate. The charge controller section is essentially a lithium battery charger for a battery bank, which runs off of a DC PV input source. PV circuit and battery bank really aren't related, except that you want to have the PV voltage some order of magnitude higher than the battery bank voltage, so that the MPPT circuit has flexibility in pulling down the volts on the input to increase the amps (as it's sweeping to find max watts), then it adjusts it to battery voltage and amps to get the proper charge rate...

Yeah, and as long as you're under max PV input voltage by a reasonable amount then you're fine.
Thank you. Just wanted to make sure. I already took precautions to ensure I am under the max voltage.

Back