diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 3000lvm es. I need to know what array of solor panels i would need for this inverter. Its mainly to power the fridge, lights n a fans?

Jimijon

Growatt 3000lvm es. I need to know what array of solor panels i would need for this inverter. Its mainly to power the fridge, lights n a fans?

I have my house in Cuba and every day the power goes out for 6 hours. I need to power fans a couple lights and its nice if the fridge or little spinner washing machine can keep working. I have 0 experience but have the growatt in hand and need ro buy solor panels. Also i will be getting prety mich whatever bateries i can over there to run fans n lights at night when theres no power. Hope someone can help.
P.S.. I have to buy solor panels that dont weigh a ton, weight is limites on the flights! Thanks in advance

To power all that with the inverter you basically need batteries.
Try and work out how much power you'll need. Size your batteries to that.
After which, you can work out what panels you'd need to recharge those.
Now, "Growatt 3000lvm es" is slightly vague. From what I see, it can either be 24V or 48V. Anything more specific?
-

I orderd 4x 100w renogy 12v panels to reach my 48v. A 10 amp fuse. 50ft black, and 50 feet red mc4 conector cables

Im wondering if this is a good start to make it work, with bateries that i will find, string together overthere. Sun is constant and very strong at the house!

For a period of 6 hours, I figure the fridge will consume about 100w max, fans 150w, and several low wattage lightbulbs another 50 watts. Does this seem resonable? Thanks for your time and input, so very much apreciated.

So 300W/h?
At 48V, that's some 15Ah, x6, 90Ah. Call it 100 to have some spare power.
100Ah of useable battery should do.

Now, useable... if you use lithium, 120Ah would be good. Lead-acid, at least double that. "Batteries that I will find"... car starter batteries? Doable (you'd need quite a few, and to keep them well charged) if slightly dodgy.

So, what type of battery do you plan to "find"?
-

Lol, i pray to find what i need. But most likely will find 12 or 24v car or bus batteries. I would just buy a requiered batery from here and bring it but from what i see they are very heavy. On top of the fact that i didnt know what would be necesary.

I guess most are the acid bateries which are ajustable/ refilable. 80/100/120ah. I will look for what is sugested.

Car batteries, you'd need some 4-500 Ah, which means that if you "find" 12V ones, say 100Ah each, at least 16 of them.
Once you have those, you'd have to keep them well charged most of the time.

If your panels won't quite do that, you can - probably - charge the rest from the grid when it's up.

Alternatively, you could inquire if Chinese vendors will ship to Cuba and get some decent lithium batteries from there.
-

Ok thanks. I will definetly be tied to the grid.the only need i have this for is to get through the hours that the power goes out. I've checked in diffrent sites for bateries shipped directly to cuba. All are 72v 40ah. Most of these are for electric bikes or scooters.

Also, im curious,.. why with car bateries one needs so many more amp hours? Do they die faster? And are amp hours added between bateries lets say , example, 4 x 12ah bateries make 48ah? Just a question, because i volts can be added, or watts added depending on sieries or parellel conections but what about amp hours? Thanks

Lithium iron phosphate, you can use 80-90% of capacity.
Deep-cycle lead-acid, 40-50%. Car starters, let's say 20% (or less).
Are you sure you can't get LiFePO4 batteries shipped there? Like from China? Alibaba and such?

In series, you add volts. In parallel, ampere-hours.
So, say you want to make 200Ah at 48V, and you have 12V 100Ah batteries.
You'd want to put four in series (100Ah@48V), then another four, and parallel the two series.
Take the positive from one series pack and the negative from the other - for better balance.

Of course, if you can get a single 48V, say 120 Ah, battery shipped there...
-

That would be great!! And thanks for the explenation. All Ive seen available are 72v lithium bateries. Ive checked several websites. Would it be posibble to power my system with one of these, all though i wouldnt use all 72v?

You could... if you could take them apart... rearrange the cells, rewire the BMS... probably not :·/
They're quite small and rather expensive, too.

I've just asked my favourite supplier on Alibaba, Shenzhen Luyuan, if they ship to Cuba.
I'll let you know what they say. Or... see here. Ask them yourself (press Chat Now).
The only pre-assembled batteries they seem to have are those. Depending on price (you have to ask) and shipping though, they may be just what you need.
-

Hey thanks. Contacted her. Cuba may be an issue, 1 supplier doesnt ship there and she'll let me know tomorrow about others.

Hi, im looking at specs on my growatt, preparing, and gathering all necesary info before traveling. *On this unit the pv array mppt voltage range is 120vdc~250vdc* does this mean with 4 100w, 12v solar panels it will not work?

Well, that seems to be a bit of a silly limitation - usually MPPT controllers only need 3-4V over battery voltage to operate - but if that is the case, 12V panels (usually have some 20V output) will not work.
You could
a) get 4 "24V" panels, they usually have some 35V output, in series, they should (barely) do. Or
b) get a "normal" separate MPPT controller (not that expensive for your power range) without silly limitations.

An added advantage of which is that AIOs tend to turn the (rather noisy) fans on very often when charging, normal SCCs do not.
And another being some form of redundancy.
-

Back