diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 3000TL LVM 48v - Parallel Single Phase?

Mrgulabull

I've just finished a test setup using 2 growatt 3000tl LVM 48v all in one systems. I don't see any explanation on the functionality when wiring these two systems for parallel single phase operation. My assumption was that the AC load would be split between the systems in this configuration, but a quick test using the AC output from one Growatt does not show any load on the second Growatt.

Have I misunderstood the definition of Parallel Single phase? If so, what would be the purpose of paralleling the two growatts in a single phase application? First build, so please excuse my naivety.

Also, perhaps related to the parallel connection, but the units cannot have "power saving mode" enabled when paralleled. Changing the setting results in that setting switching back to disabled after a moment.

Did you get your system figured out? I also have 2 3kw 48v growatts on my basement wall and can not get them to load share. Its taken several attempts to get both of them to say PAL in menu 23 which took me some time to find the note in the manual that said you can only set that setting when the unit is in standby. Which I understood to mean connected to battery, switch off, 120v line in off-but unit still lit up.

As for the point, I should net 6kw of total capacity with the load split between the 2 units. So if I'm running 2.4kw of load (could be handled by one unit) and then run the microwave to warm up lunch, which draws nearly 1400w. that would trip a single unit, but with the 2 the 3.8kw load should be well within its capability.

Is there anyone out there that has actually done this?

Not yet, sorry. I also noticed that note in the manual after first posting but for my current needs I’m getting by without splitting loads. I’ll likely revisit this in the next few weeks and will post here if I have any luck.

the microwave issue actually happened fri at lunch. Tripped the overload. Took forever to get the system to reset. After that I found the setting that allows it to bail to grid pass through on overload instead of going down.

So as it stands Im running off 3K of (master) inverter and the second is running as a glorified solar charger as it has the other 2500 w of pannels hooked up to it.

Not ideal but its super fustrating to try and set it up.

On another note, I can not get the wifi dongles with the "shine Phone" app working. Which is to say, I cant get them to connect to my wifi point that would allow them to push data to the cloud.

At this point I have a stand alone shunt ordered because with it at least I can monitor how my battery is doing. I did get the software working on my laptop that comes on the CD, PVkeeper. However as others have said, it crashes after running for some time so useless for trying to datalog with it.

Last edited:
You are trying to Parallel operate in single phase?
You have parallel boards, parallel communication cables and current sharing cables installed?
Something like this?
1602508426347.png
Is program 23 set to PAL on both units?

Have you commissioned the units as Master and Slave?
Have you followed these 6 steps?
1602508764755.png

Reactions: JAW
I innitally had an issue with program 23. And the fine print that says you have to put the units in standby (switch off) in order to program that setting.

After that Unit one it was giving me a 80 (dont remember) code which was CAN buss communication error. I pulled out the serial cables and disconnected and reconnected them. Since then it has identified the second unit however still wont power share. They correctly indicate HS and SL however unit 2 (SL) never shows the portion to the right of the converter rectangle.

In troubleshooting today, I noticed the unit2 (slave) that is refuseing to output, is not powering on when I turn on the battery. Unit 1 (master and working as intended) will power up as soon as you turn on the battery. Unit 2 does not respond. I either have to turn on the solar or the grid for the display to light up.

Either input source (solar or grid) and unit 2 will respond to it. It was charging bats off the grid (it sees correct 120v ac input untill i changed the setting to only charge off solar) and it will charge the batts off the solar. However it refuses to output. (switch on or off) doesn't seem to matter.

I get the impression that the unit is in standby? I think I read that the unit will charge etc in standby if the switch is off. (ie it doesnt turn the inverter on but it will run the SCC side)

I wonder If I have a bad on/off switch.

Last edited:
not likely
I do troubleshooting for powertrain systems for a heavy equipment manufacture everyday for my living.

growatt_loose_plug.jpg

That is a loose plug from the power switch on the bottom. It did not "click" into place as those connectors typically do so it must have come loose in shipping. Once connected unit 2 finnally powered up as expected. Once unit 1 was powered up, both handshook and started shareing output as expected.

I have a number of hours of troubleshooting invested to get to the the above unexpected condition.

I do troubleshooting for powertrain systems for a heavy equipment manufacture everyday for my living.

growatt_loose_plug.jpg

That is a loose plug from the power switch on the bottom. It did not "click" into place as those connectors typically do so it must have come loose in shipping. Once connected unit 2 finnally powered up as expected. Once unit 1 was powered up, both handshook and started shareing output as expected.

I have a number of hours of troubleshooting invested to get to the the above unexpected condition.
GOOD EYE! CONGRATULATIONS.

I have 2 Growatt 3000's configured single phase parallel. They load share perfectly, and if you turn off one of the inverters the other immediately takes up the full load without missing a beat.

I have 2 Growatt 3000's configured single phase parallel. They load share perfectly, and if you turn off one of the inverters the other immediately takes up the full load without missing a beat.
apctjb, would you mind explaining how you connected your AC outputs? I am receiving two of these units today, and I will be setting them up soon. I wanted to run 120 volts at 50 amps (full 6000 watts) from the AC outputs to a sub panel. My question is do I run both hot wires from the AC outputs to the same pole on the subpanel? This would only give me one side of the panel. I was curious as to how you set it up.

I ran the hot from inverter 1 to one pole in my 120/240 split phase panel, hot from inverter 2 to the other and then put a jumper between pole 1 and 2. Neutrals from both inverters go to the same neutral pole. This allows all my breakers to be powered and if I want to run split phase in the future I just have to remove the jumper and change the settings on the inverters to run 120/240 rather than parallel 120.

I ran the hot from inverter 1 to one pole in my 120/240 split phase panel, hot from inverter 2 to the other and then put a jumper between pole 1 and 2. Neutrals from both inverters go to the same neutral pole. This allows all my breakers to be powered and if I want to run split phase in the future I just have to remove the jumper and change the settings on the inverters to run 120/240 rather than parallel 120.
Thank you so much for your quick reply. Awesome!!! I get mine in today, so hopefully I'll get some time this week to get them setup. I can't wait

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Awesome!!! I get mine in today, so hopefully I'll get some time this week to get them setup. I can't wait
Should I put a fuse or breaker on each hot line before I put them into the sub panel? Or do the inverters manage a backfeed or something like that if something goes wrong?

Should I put a fuse or breaker on each hot line before I put them into the sub panel? Or do the inverters manage a backfeed or something like that if something goes wrong?
I don't think that's necessary. I don't see any mention of an additional breaker between the AC output and subpanel within the manual (pages 5-6) https://www.ginverter.com/upload/file/contents/2019/06/5d0355a465ff4.pdf

Just be sure to size your wiring correctly (6AWG) between the inverter and sub panel. Your sub panel will have a main disconnect and that should suffice any need for disconnection during maintenance. In addition, you'll have breakers within the sub panel that reside between your appliances and inverter, so I don't see the benefit of adding an additional breaker in that run.

I did, but not really necessary as the inverters have internal circuit breakers. I just wanted a more accessible means of disconnect.

Why would you need a jumper if you heated both poles?

thx

I have 2 SPF 3000. I did not buy batteries yet but read in the manual a recommended battery capacity of 400ah for 2 inverters.

Is this min or max? Appreciate anyone’s thoughts on that. Not sure why but that stumps me. I was going with a 200ah bat for starters.

You are trying to Parallel operate in single phase?
You have parallel boards, parallel communication cables and current sharing cables installed?
Something like this?
View attachment 24894
Is program 23 set to PAL on both units?

Have you commissioned the units as Master and Slave?
Have you followed these 6 steps?
View attachment 24895
How does one get to this menu? Is it just specifyinh PAL, then these options occur?

Back