diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 4200TL-XH - Battery connection and type

SFSS

Hello all,

first of all, thanks to keep this forum updated, I'm learning a lot from here.

I'm starting testing solar power at house and I'm using an Growatt 4200TL-XH Hybrid inverter system. The inverter is connected to 12 panels 380W Mono PERC.
Now I want add a batteries to it, I know the Growatt have specific and own batteries (Growattt-GBLI6532). My question is, can I use and build a own battery?

I'm lost with voltage I need to use, 12v, 24v, 48v? My idea is connect two 12V200AH LiFePO4 in parallel, this will work?

Thank you and keep this forum/project running!

Thanks! So I can only use this compatible battery only, it was my fear.
I will investigate another inverter and next investment.

I had a similar problem with an sma system, the batteries had to have a very particular bms, so ready made batteries couldn't be used.

Has your investigation born fruit?

If someone is interested: There is a product called Growatt MIN-3000BDC BL that seems to do the trick to connect LifePo4 48V batteries to Growatt's MIN-xxxxTL-XH inverters (and maybe others BH inverters , too) . I attach the description. However the product is like a ghost, most shops do not even know about the product, no-one seems offer it currently. The product was probably designed for the Australia market, but due to it's nature to be a DC-DC converter (48V->400V) it should be working worldwide. The manual says that the batterie vendors for lithium batteries is NOT limited to Growatt's own ones. If we only knew the protocol (CAN Bus) it is using, a regular DC-DC convertet should work as well....
Growatt is building superb inverters, but the marketing to only allow their own batteries might fire back (IMHO).

Attachments

• BDC BOX manual.pdf
    9.3 MB · Views: 30
  • Growatt BDC box.pdf
    491.9 KB · Views: 24
Hey, the bdc box looks very interesting. But like you wrote, is is quite a ghost. i searched for it on the german and dutch market without results.

is someone out there, who knows a source to get it?

thx

Did you get anywhere with your installation?
My aim is to build my own 48v 280Ah cell with JK-BMS (CAN support).
I have no clue wether this will work. Point is we need the "BDC" box for the voltages. Obviously, the BDC box is a charge controller with BMS that handles high voltage solar input.
Next time I ll buy Victron straight away, just like my off-grid cabin's.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 17.57.12.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 17.57.12.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 17.59.10.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 17.59.10.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 6
If you have the BDC box, there are two communications it needs:

- One between the BDC and the Inverter from Growatt (INV COM)
- One that connects the BDC with the JK-BMS of the Battery (RS485/CAN) CAN is preferred.
1675945535254.png

So you should be able to use your JK-BMS if you switch to (probably) "Pylontec" protocol,
as Growatt did use them in elder installations. This is CAN Bus based (see the manual of the BDC Box),
if using the RS485 protocol, the so called "Growatt" setting on the battery BMS could work, as this is
for the Growatt 5000 series tested.

May I ask where did you get the Box and how much did you pay?

Back