diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 48V 6000T 6kW MPV Split Phase

ChrisG

Solar Addict
Looking at the 6k Transformer based inverter/charger. Have a well pump that needs to be run only in emergency situations that a pair of SPF3000 in split phase probably can't run (42a starting needed for pump). Reviewing the instructions, not sure how you get split phase of of this as there is no specific graphic for it. Options are N+L1 OR N+L2 for 120 or L1+L2 for 240. My goal is to run this to a sub panel and would expect L1+N+L2 to the panel to get both 120 and 240 split phase. Am I missing something?Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 1.01.20 PM.png

Because of the statement "output:Hot1+N or Hot2+N" I would say can't do split phase with that "or" being an "and".

However you can add an autotransformer and get a neutral off of that.

If your output N on the inverter is connected (internally) to the input N, then for sure it would be split phase and work as is.

If your output N on the inverter is connected (internally) to the input N, then for sure it would be split phase and work as is.
Can you clarify what you mean? There is no AC Input N, just L1/L2/Ground.

Can you clarify what you mean? There is no AC Input N, just L1/L2/Ground.
Sorry, I mis-read the drawing.

So if Hot1 to N is 120v and Hot2 to N is 120v that would be split phase. But that "or" really should be "and".

Did you watch the video that I linked?

Sorry, I mis-read the drawing.

So if Hot1 to N is 120v and Hot2 to N is 120v that would be split phase. But that "or" really should be "and".

Did you watch the video that I linked?
@DThames I've seen that before, I don't think the unit in the video has a Neutral OUT, just L1/L2/G. This Growatt does have a Neutral out which is why I was thinking about it until I read the document. I would think this would be similar to a Sol-Ark or something that does provide a neutral without an autotransformer as this had a large transformer built into it. I then saw picture this on the watts247 site, but not sure if it's for this inverter or not.
Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 2.58.30 PM.png

The pic above from Watts247 is correct, the Spf-6000t-dvm has 240v out to sub-panel with neutral. All grounds, neutrals are bonded, ground to neutral bond is in house panel only, Joe.
1635449242081.png

The pic above from Watts247 is correct, the Spf-6000t-dvm has 240v out to sub-panel with neutral. All grounds, neutrals are bonded, ground to neutral bond is in house panel only, Joe.
View attachment 70544
@Joe BoyKey , thanks for the feedback...glad you're providing feedback on this. So is this correct (without a transfer switch in the middle, just breakers):
  1. L1(breaker)/L2(breaker)/Ground from Main Panel to Growatt AC IN (with Neutral and Ground bonded ONLY in main panel)
  2. Ground/Neutral from Main Panel to Essential Load sub panel (not bonded in sub panel)
  3. L1/L2/N from Growatt AC OUT to Essential Load sub panel (L1/L2 through breaker)
Is that correct?

@Joe BoyKey , thanks for the feedback...glad you're providing feedback on this. So is this correct (without a transfer switch in the middle, just breakers):
  1. L1(breaker)/L2(breaker)/Ground from Main Panel to Growatt AC IN (with Neutral and Ground bonded ONLY in main panel)
  2. Ground/Neutral from Main Panel to Essential Load sub panel (not bonded in sub panel)
  3. L1/L2/N from Growatt AC OUT to Essential Load sub panel (L1/L2 through breaker)
Is that correct

You have to have 4 wires from house panel like in pic and yes on #2, #3 add ground - 4 wire's

@Joe BoyKey Awesome. So this will allow this specific Growatt inverter to power both 240 and 120 in sub panel. Hope it has enough power for well pump surge (should according to spec).

@Joe BoyKey Awesome. So this will allow this specific Growatt inverter to power both 240 and 120 in sub panel. Hope it has enough power for well pump surge (should according to spec).
Should be fine with 18kw surge as long as good wires/wiring and not to long of a run to pump.

Last edited:
@Joe BoyKey and others, Just simplifying wiring for my installation. Please review the high level diagram and provide any comments. I separated the runs as they would be in different conduit and easier to comprehend and track in my mind. Think I'm settled on the 6000 and going to sell my SPF3000TL. Thank you in advance.
Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 11.06.04 AM.png

To my point, the name of the product has split phase in it.

Chris,

I am looking at the same Split Phase series from GroWatt (SPF 4000) and I cam across a similar wiring diagram which shows H1+H2+Ground input but only H1+H2 as output:

1640800262801.png

Is there an option for split-phase output, so that we I can power the existing split-phase electrical panel? For that I believe I need at least (3) wires as opposed to (2) wires as detailed in the installation manual. Unless the Neutral and Ground from the Generator connected directly to the split phase panel? I have no idea if this even makes any sense.

Could you summarize your findings and how you were able to install your inverter in split phase? I tried reading the last messages in this thread but i could not make any sense out of them.

TIA!

If you look at the diagram above, this is how it would be installed in split phase to a critical loads sub panel.

Back