diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 48V SPF 5000 US 120/240volt for North America

Good afternoon from Canada
Solar is expensive in Canada Ordering from Alibaba

Questions:
1) I am ordering a Growatt 48V SPF 5000 ES from China.
They have 120/240V Growatt 48V SPF 5000 US for the North American market. No split transformer needed!!!
Have you heard of it and if so do you know the pro's and con's???????
Just FYI, I contact GroWatt support today.
Hi Bud,

SPF 5000 US is SPF 5000 ES US model, and its output 220V not the Split-phase.

thumbnail

Owen Liu 刘庆存
Marketing Department

深圳古瑞瓦特新能源有限公司
ShenZhen Growatt New Energy Co.,Ltd.

Where did you buy the unit from?
Did you check the resistance (not connected to power of course, just a stand alone unit not connected to anything) between the N and Ground to see if it shows <1 Ohm (typical meter probe wires resistance)?
I bought them from Signature Solar, but they are hesitant to offer wiring advice. I may call them tomorrow to see what they say about the video they posted, where the GND is not hooked up to anything out of the GW. To answer your question about checking resistance from N to GND, no, I haven't, but I'll be doing some wiring on my solar array tomorrow so I can take a minute to check that. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know.

I bought them from Signature Solar, but they are hesitant to offer wiring advice. I may call them tomorrow to see what they say about the video they posted, where the GND is not hooked up to anything out of the GW. To answer your question about checking resistance from N to GND, no, I haven't, but I'll be doing some wiring on my solar array tomorrow so I can take a minute to check that. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know.
If you bought from SS, then more likely it is a modified unit according to SS which has to do with grounding screw on the circuit being removed so there will be no connection between N and Ground (per other thread), but I do not understand why they cannot offer the wiring advice since they the one that sell the modified unit that was made for EURO so they can sell in the US for US electrical system, SS said that they sold over 5000 of these modified units.

If you bought from SS, then more likely it is a modified unit according to SS which has to do with grounding screw on the circuit being removed so there will be no connection between N and Ground (per other thread), but I do not understand why they cannot offer the wiring advice since they the one that sell the modified unit that was made for EURO so they can sell in the US for US electrical system, SS said that they sold over 5000 of these modified units.
Just got off the phone with tech support at S.S. Matt confirmed what you said and sent me an email with a schematic of how the 5k's should be wired in at least one application. I feel a lot better but will still check for resistance between N and GND as I bought these inverters several months ago. I'll let you know what I find. I really appreciate you taking the time to look into this and share what you found out. The house is 95-98% complete so I'd hate to be the cause of an "issue" that set me back to square 1. The wife might not be too happy either...

Thank you very much for the input. I understand that there are many options out there but since I already have two of these inverters and two auto-transformers, I can't really afford to buy replacement components. I'm praying that with the helpful advice of others on this forum and what I've learned from speaking with Signature Solar's tech support staff, I'll be able to get the system wired up safely and everything will be up and running in the next day or so, God willing.

Thank you very much for the input. I understand that there are many options out there but since I already have two of these inverters and two auto-transformers, I can't really afford to buy replacement components. I'm praying that with the helpful advice of others on this forum and what I've learned from speaking with Signature Solar's tech support staff, I'll be able to get the system wired up safely and everything will be up and running in the next day or so, God willing.
It does not have split phase output, you need transformer on the output to establish split phase as shown in the user manual page 19.

Bud, I check with SS and they said yes, the GND to L connection was removed. I asked if it was ok to send the GND on the output side of the inverter to the main service panel where the electricians would likely bond it with N and they said that would be fine. I checked the resistance between GND, L1, and N (L2) and it showed open circuit so I'm much more comfortable now. Thanks for the advice. Should have everything powered up tomorrow and hopefully have enough time to program inverters too.

Bud, I check with SS and they said yes, the GND to L connection was removed. I asked if it was ok to send the GND on the output side of the inverter to the main service panel where the electricians would likely bond it with N and they said that would be fine. I checked the resistance between GND, L1, and N (L2) and it showed open circuit so I'm much more comfortable now. Thanks for the advice. Should have everything powered up tomorrow and hopefully have enough time to program inverters too.
You mean GND and Neutral.
I will still be reluctant to use that unit based on discussion on the other thread about this modified SPF-5000 ES, it is supposed to be SPF-5000 US but SS/GroWatt never apply new sticker to show as SPF-5000 US, the manual is also shown as SPF-5000 ES which is Euro unit.

You mean GND and Neutral.
I will still be reluctant to use that unit based on discussion on the other thread about this modified SPF-5000 ES, it is supposed to be SPF-5000 US but SS/GroWatt never apply new sticker to show as SPF-5000 US, the manual is also shown as SPF-5000 ES which is Euro unit.
Yes, my mistake. If I could return them I would, but I haven't heard of anyone having issues with the S.S. modified units. I follow David Poz who's been using 2 of them for quite some time without issues. Hopefully, prayerfully, they will work fine for me too. Hope to put them in service tomorrow sometime.

Back