diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 5000 ES build/design. Help me help my neighbor!!

Thibautwoolace

I'm doing my first build for a friend, and need help finalizing the design. He had ordered a bunch of parts last year, and he installed 5.2 kW of panels, but he doesn't know how to do the electrical and needed my help. He has a Growatt 5000 ES off grid inverter, Solar Edge 5k Auto transformer, and 16 3.2V 280ah LFP batteries (about 0.9 kW each), and a JBD 20s BMS, and now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to put this system together.

This is my general understanding of how the system will work (diagrams below for reference):

The PV string will run into the PV IN port of the Growatt.

The PV OUT port will run to the battery (with BMS).

The AC IN port will run to a breaker on the manual transfer switch.

The AC OUT port will run to our new critical loads sub panel onto a breaker to power the panel. The Transformer will also run to the panel with a breaker, and the neutral will run directly to the neutral busbar. We will move many of his loads from his main panel over to his critical loads panel, such as fridge, furnace, lights, and outlets.

The inverter will power these loads with solar first, then battery power, then grid power (or generator if the grid is down).

My biggest concern with all os this is the AC Input to the Growatt. This will allow me to power the critical load panel as long as they aren't using over 5kW of power at once, is that correct? If so, I'll be putting as many loads as I can on this sub-panel as long as I don't go over the 5kW mark.

I'd love some confirmation that I'm on the right track here, or am I missing something. Any input would be highly appreciated!!

IMG_7672 copy (1).jpgIMG_7673 copy (1).jpg

It looks like you have a pretty good handle on it.
The only thing I see is that you need to carry the N/G bond from the main service panel to the critical loads panel. This is done by running a #10 neutral between the two. And keep the neutral and ground separated in the critical loads panel.

Trying to fanthom the amount of work on this :) I kinda understood the diagram(nice diagram btw).
My setup would be:
- 1 x growatt 5k inverter
- 1 eg4 5k battery 48v
- 1 critical load panel
Few question
1) what AMPs is the critical load panel?
2) Do I need a auto-transformer?
3) From the inverter to the critical load panel, 40 amp breaker..A little confused. I thought the power has to come to the main breaker on the critical load panel? Is 40 amp the main breaker?
4) is the 8 AWG due to distance?
5) Can i power a 240v appliance with a single growatt? Or only 120v
6) Main breaker panel is shown as 60amp. Shouldn't that be 50Amp? This is from the manual
AC Input/Output Connection
CAUTION!! Before connecting to AC input power source, please install a separate AC breaker between
inverter and AC input power source. This will ensure the inverter can be securely disconnected during
maintenance and fully protected from over current of AC input. The recommended spec of AC breaker is 40A
for SPF 3500 ES and 50A for SPF 5000 ES.

thank you

Last edited:
1) what AMPs is the critical load panel?
Any that has enough spaces for the needed load breakers plus the main, and the transformer (if you choose to put it on a breaker).
2) Do I need a auto-transformer?
Only if you need 240v and 120v.
Is 40 amp the main breaker?
Yes
4) is the 8 AWG due to distance?
Required size for 40a.
5) Can i power a 240v appliance with a single growatt?
Yes, as long as it isn't too large for the inverters output.

Great. Thank you

So my main breaker on the critical load panel will be 125A
  1. So if I don't get the transformer I can only Power 120 OR 240. With transformer, I can do both at the same time, right?
  2. And later on if I need to add a second inverter, let's say to get 10k, would that be an easy transform? What would change from the above setup?
  3. If I get a transformer, looks like it connects to the main breaker also with the inverter. I guess the the connection is big enough for both wires

So my main breaker on the critical load panel will be 125A
No, it will be 40a. You need a main lug panel, and add the 40a breaker for the main. If you choose a Square D panel, you have to add a breaker holding kit. (Because it has exposed bus connectors)

So if I don't get the transformer I can only Power 120 OR 240. With transformer, I can do both at the same time, right?
The inverter output is 240v, the transfer provides 120v if needed.

And later on if I need to add a second inverter, let's say to get 10k, would that be an easy transform? What would change from the above setup?
Simply parallel the two inverters. (Leave an extra 2 spaces in the panel for the future inverter)

If I get a transformer, looks like it connects to the main breaker also with the inverter. I guess the the connection is big enough for both wires
It can be connected by it's own breaker or at the main lugs. (I chose the main lugs because if it's on its own breaker, and the breaker gets turned off, your 120v device could be damaged)

>No, it will be 40a. You need a main lug panel, and add the 40a breaker for the main. If you choose a Square D panel, you have to add a breaker holding kit. (Because it has exposed bus connectors)
Wow..didn't even know about lug panels :-( . Total newbie here...watching lot of videos to understand the whole thing:)

Mine will be an Eaton.

1) Still confused on the connections on the critical load panel..Would this work?
And then I would add a 40 amp breaker? Sorry if I am repeating my questions..I will do some research..thanks for all the education ;-)

Back