diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 5000 ES issue

Sethtrosity

Hello,
I am currently using a single growatt 5000 ES to power my load during the day (PV+Utility), and power the load at night (Utility).
I am using "SUB" mode under program 1, which according to the manual combines PV+Utility.

SUB: Solar energy provides power to the loads as first priority. If solar energy is not sufficient to power all connected loads, solar and utility will power loads at the same time.
Battery provides power to the loads only when solar energy is not sufficient and there is no utility.

tldr: Using SUB mode (PV+Grid, no battery), solar isn't shown in the load consumption, and utility bill hasn't changed.

The system does not have any battery connected. It is only connected with Grid and PV input.
The current firmware is: 040.05/041.05 (I can't update unless I get a battery).
My issue is that the reports are showing my array is producing a decent amount, but my power usage from utility hasn't changed.
So, for the current utility cycle, (3/24 - 4/25) the reports show my array produced 694.4kWh in that timeframe.
My previous bill was for around 2500kWh (before the install), and my current bill is pretty much identical.

solar1.png

solar2.png

solar3.png

Now I know by the second image, you can tell the array is overproducing at times, so I have taken that into consideration.
The other thing I noticed is that in the first image, solar isn't included in the "Load Consumption", it is all imported from the grid.
I was under the impression that the solar and grid usage should add up to the total load consumption with SUB.

Am I just misinformed here? On the actual inverter it shows the lines going from solar and utility to the load, nothing to the battery.
I'm confused because the report doesn't show any solar going towards the load consumption. Which I thought it would when using SUB mode.
Could this be a firmware issue, or am I just completely missing what SUB mode actually does?

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!

@SignatureSolarUS
@RichardfromSignatureSolar

Last edited:
I think the reason you're not getting a response is there isn't enough information to understand what you're asking. What are you doing with the power your array is producing since you don't have a battery? Are you using it to power everything and when solar isn't enough it is going over to utility?

I think the reason you're not getting a response is there isn't enough information to understand what you're asking. What are you doing with the power your array is producing since you don't have a battery? Are you using it to power everything and when solar isn't enough it is going over to utility?

Correct. I am trying to power the load with Solar and Grid during the day and only Grid at night. The manual says to use "SUB" mode to achieve this, which I have set. Problem is, it seems to not be using the Solar energy at all according to the reports. Total load consumption is equal to total imported from grid. The load being powered uses approximately 81kWh a day (full day didn't occur in image 1). This is all imported from the grid according to the images, and the solar generated is doing nothing.

The way I understand it, the total load consumption should be (imported from grid + solar) if it was functioning correctly.
Am I incorrect in that assumption?

Throughout the day when I check the inverter, it does show solar being used.
It just isn't showing up in the report or in my actual utility bill.

image0 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
What is your PV array configurations expected output? Have you tried setting it to just SOL to see what the load percentage is? I suspect with the absence of a battery the inverter isn't able to supply the needed amperage and is staying on utility.

What is your PV array configurations expected output? Have you tried setting it to just SOL to see what the load percentage is? I suspect with the absence of a battery the inverter isn't able to supply the needed amperage and is staying on utility.

Yesterday I switched it to SOL to see if it makes a difference. The max output of the array is about 3700w (~300-320v , ~10-15a). Most of my daily reports for the month look very similar to image 2. It is still using the grid at times (which it is expected to do), but for the most part it is very little, unless there are clouds. With what I see in the energy trend reports, solar should be cutting into that 81kWh. Looks like it should be subtracting around 15-20kWh a day. Unfortunately, the imported from grid and utility bill say otherwise.

I have the SPF 5000ES. using in SUB mode, which should use utility when solar energy isn't sufficient. unfortunately, it doesn't function as it intend to. when solar energy is enough, on screen it mention 0 Amps drawn from utility, but in fact if you use a clamp current meter, you will see that continuously it is drawing 1.5-2 amps from utility

Yesterday I switched it to SOL to see if it makes a difference. The max output of the array is about 3700w (~300-320v , ~10-15a). Most of my daily reports for the month look very similar to image 2. It is still using the grid at times (which it is expected to do), but for the most part it is very little, unless there are clouds. With what I see in the energy trend reports, solar should be cutting into that 81kWh. Looks like it should be subtracting around 15-20kWh a day. Unfortunately, the imported from grid and utility bill say otherwise.
don't count on how many amps is drawn from utility shown on inverter screen. when it shows 0 amps, i used a current clamp on my utility input to the inverter, it is continuously drawing 1.5 to 2 amps, even though I have sufficient solar energy. i tried to contact the support, but they never replied

don't count on how many amps is drawn from utility shown on inverter screen. when it shows 0 amps, i used a current clamp on my utility input to the inverter, it is continuously drawing 1.5 to 2 amps, even though I have sufficient solar energy. i tried to contact the support, but they never replied

Have you tried updating the firmware by any chance? I was thinking it might just be a firmware issue.
What firmware is currently on your inverter?

firmware screen shows as follows
040 05 701
041 05 701
i have tried to update now my firmware to
040 06 104
041 06 104
still screen shows 0 from utility, while on my clamp multimeter it is drawing 2 amps, and my electricity counter is blinking

Have you tried updating the firmware by any chance? I was thinking it might just be a firmware issue.
What firmware is currently on your inverter?
unfortunately after updating firmware, datalogger now only blinks green led, not connecting to sever. tried to reset datalogger and add all over again, but always stuck on blinking green led.

unfortunately after updating firmware, datalogger now only blinks green led, not connecting to sever. tried to reset datalogger and add all over again, but always stuck on blinking green led.

I had the same issue, besides I never got the update to work. I just sent the unit and wifi stick back to SignatureSolar.
I followed their guide on updating the firmware, but the chip on my unit wasn't by SiliconLabs so the driver didn't work.
After I attempted to flash it, using the "exar xr21v1410" driver, the unit would just stay on, even though the computer said it flashed.
I tried turning it off and back on, and using the password to factory reset it. Nothing worked and it was still on the old firmware.
Afterwards, the wifi stick no longer worked, it would just keep turning itself off.

Did you manage to get it to work as I have similar issue SUB does nothing load and grid import same values

Anyone solved this problem? In SUB mode, my unit show amp import ~ 0. But when I check via shinephone app, it's reveal the import and load are almost same

Back