diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 5000 ES SPF

zouxi

Hello,

I am from Lebanon , and due to severe power outages in my country , i installed a growatt spf 5000 es with a lifepo4 Nruit 10.24 kw, to be charged from utility/grid (4h/24 per day, i didn't install PV yet).

So far so good, but whenever i set the battery type as LI (setting#5) it communicates normally with the battery BMS and i get SOC%, but i can't set the AC charging limit and the maximum charging limit. So i am forced to select USER in setting #5 (but i don't get SOC accurate percentage).

Is there a way i can edit the charging maximum current and the AC maximum charging current while selecting the battery type as LI ?

Thank you.

I do not think it is possible as it it set automatically when the inverter talks to the BMS. Are you concerned about these settings and why ?

I do not think it is possible as it it set automatically when the inverter talks to the BMS. Are you concerned about these settings and why ?
sure i am concerned because i don't have PV (yet at least) and my main target is to charge in the quickest time the battery (as the utility comes for 3-4/24 hours).

What is the charging current that you have measured ?

What is the charging current that you have measured ?
i want to set the AC charging current to 80 AMP. It is showing 30 AMP , sometimes 10 AMP. i cannot change it (unless i set the battery type to USER)

It sounds like your battery BMS is dictating that to the inverter (since it is not settable and changes on its own), so it is not an inverter problem per se.

You may want to consider why the BMS would want to limit charge current. Is it a heat buildup issue in the battery? Have you observed temp in any way while ‘dumb charging’ it at 80a on the USE setting?

yes but in growatt if you set the battery type to lithium you cannot set the max charging current

Im asking if there might be a non-software way to make the bms stop asking for reduced charge current. It may be reacting to a perfectly valid input and doing exactly what its supposed to do by restricting charge current. In that case, you would want to treat the cause and not the symptom.

Im asking if there might be a non-software way to make the bms stop asking for reduced charge current. It may be reacting to a perfectly valid input and doing exactly what its supposed to do by restricting charge current. In that case, you would want to treat the cause and not the symptom.
what if I changed the battery type to user and set the parameters within the safe range: cv 56.4v, float 54, dod 48v?
will the bms still work?

Well, the bms is between the battery cells and the battery terminals that you hook to, so the BMS is going to ‘work’ as far as its high voltage and low voltage and overtemp protections no matter what you do with the inverter. What the BMS is not going to do is be able to insert extra resistance into the battery circuit to ‘throttle’ charging current from the inverter. So, if you have the inverter trying to hit an 80a current number into the battery and the BMS detects that a cell or cells are overheating, it cant do anything about it except internally diconnect the cells from the terminals when the temp gets too high. But it cant turn the current down from 80 to 30. The way that is managed is with the communication between the bms and the inverter. The BMS would tell the inverter what charge current it prefers and the inverter would send it.

So what i’m getting at is that the BMS might be asking for a lower charge current because it sees something it doesnt like, in which case telling it to shut up and shoving an 80a firehose down its throat might not be the best long term approach. So some effort should be taken to make sure the BMS doesnt have a valid reason for recommending 30a before deciding to ignore it and give it 80a.

Hello everyone

Hi I have a challenge, when I test the connections on the spf 5000 es (AC Output) using a multimeter on Earth & Neutral I get continuity.
This is happening directly on the inverter without wires. When I wire the same thing happens, but AC Input is fine every connection is separate.
I can charge the battery fine. now I want to use the battery, but I'm worried the inverter might go %*#!@<*^

Hello,

I am from Lebanon , and due to severe power outages in my country , i installed a growatt spf 5000 es with a lifepo4 Nruit 10.24 kw, to be charged from utility/grid (4h/24 per day, i didn't install PV yet).

So far so good, but whenever i set the battery type as LI (setting#5) it communicates normally with the battery BMS and i get SOC%, but i can't set the AC charging limit and the maximum charging limit. So i am forced to select USER in setting #5 (but i don't get SOC accurate percentage).

Is there a way i can edit the charging maximum current and the AC maximum charging current while selecting the battery type as LI ?

Thank you.
Try turning the power switch on the Growatt to the off position. Leave battery and utility on. This will put the Growatt into standby mode where settings may #2 and #11 can be changed To set the charging limits you should be in this standby mode. I set charging from utility #11 as low as 2A and solar #2 to 25A Good luck.

Hello everyone

Hi I have a challenge, when I test the connections on the spf 5000 es (AC Output) using a multimeter on Earth & Neutral I get continuity.
This is happening directly on the inverter without wires. When I wire the same thing happens, but AC Input is fine every connection is separate.
I can charge the battery fine. now I want to use the battery, but I'm worried the inverter might go %*#!@<*^
When the inverter ia in Offgrid mode (sbu) it is normal that the output Neutral to be tied to earth. There is an internal relay which does that.
Otherwise, it would have floating voltage without a distinct Neutral and Line wires.

Back