diy solar

diy solar

growatt 5000 US model - grid backed up self consumption - connection to main service panel

Had already purchased the spf 5000 es (2) from AliExpress when I found out about the USA version. Had so much trouble getting the supplies I ordered and found out there are people there that are less than honest…. Especially, selling the infamous Lifepo4 batteries. Doubted access to warranty work, so as seen on YouTube, I went inside mine and removed the bonding (N to Ground) and after putting some good pressure on the contact around the hole discovered it is effective to do this…..no continuity at all. I have ditched the auto transformer, as unsafe, and went with an isolation transformer, that will feed isolated offgrid loads, and mini split ac’s! Jeff Motes, is I believe, an electrical engineer and a electrical Contractor who illuminated my mind on the subject. He has an awesome YouTube channel!
Does anyone here know of a source for the main boards in these Spf 5000 es?
Agree with you 100% on Jeff Motes videos. I wish I knew enough about electricity to label it genius because that is what it appear to be. I think he has it licked.

Difference between what you have and US version is the silicon on the back of the contact screw to ensure no electrical contact.

As far as buying boards, sometimes we have to just admit we messed up and charge it off. For you to rebuy US version or just put silicon over back of screw contact. Maybe Signature Solar would help on technical details on how.

Agree with you 100% on Jeff Motes videos. I wish I knew enough about electricity to label it genius because that is what it appear to be. I think he has it licked.

Difference between what you have and US version is the silicon on the back of the contact screw to ensure no electrical contact.

As far as buying boards, sometimes we have to just admit we messed up and charge it off. For you to rebuy US version or just put silicon over back of screw contact. Maybe Signature Solar would help on technical details on how.
Removing the screw, in my opinion, is more than sufficient to eliminate the bonding issue. No need for the silicon, the grounding contact point is on top of the board.…no screw, no bond… just be sure you know which screw to remove.

Not at all sorry for the Growatt purchases. As for the “US version” the only difference is the screw and the silicon is hype In my opinion! The board in the one I tore apart has no contact on the rear of the board to bond. Signature Solar will be the source I use if I buy another, they are price competitive….. that is the only reason. If a cheaper source shows up that may change. Jeff Motes, has the right combination! Isolation transformer. Before I saw his setup I had planned to have a 120 only panel fed through a contactor …coil dependent on the midpoint neutral. It would have solved some of the issues…. Not all! I wasn’t aware that the invertor bypassed without enabling it in the settings. I’d rather err on the side of safety…. I’ve purchased an isolation transformer.

Signature Solar will be the source I use if I buy another, they are price competitive….. that is the only reason. If a cheaper source shows up that may change.

You're position is officially challenged! watts247 has non-US version for a very aggressive price but you must remove the screw yourself. I had gotten the impression the silicon was important though as what contacted with the screw was underneath.

Glad to hear +1 for Jeff. He sure talks the contact but I didn't know I could consider him an expert in the field. Good to know!

You're position is officially challenged! watts247 has non-US version for a very aggressive price but you must remove the screw yourself. I had gotten the impression the silicon was important though as what contacted with the screw was underneath.

Glad to hear +1 for Jeff. He sure talks the contact but I didn't know I could consider him an expert in the field. Good to know!
I knew about watts247 but didn’t know they had any in! There was nothing behind the board at the specified spot that makes contact On my spf5000es. Haven’t checked everyone else’s. I got one from Signature Solar and another from elsewhere! They are working together! I removed the screw on the elsewhere. Thanks for the Watts247…. I would not be afraid to try one with the screw removed.

Hello,
I'm using a Growatt Min 5000 TL-XH-US. with the growatt smart meter and autotransformer with ATS and growatt batter(6.6). I have about 10,000 watts of solar connected on two strings one south facing array and one west facing array. I live in Southern California so I get plenty of sun to run my system. The system was installed by me, all growatt parts were purchased through Renvu. I am currently commissioning and fine tuning the system. This is the US version of their Inverter, However I would like to AC couple using this inverter, I don't think growatt has updated their inverter for this feature.

Hello,
I'm using a Growatt Min 5000 TL-XH-US. with the growatt smart meter and autotransformer with ATS and growatt batter(6.6). I have about 10,000 watts of solar connected on two strings one south facing array and one west facing array. I live in Southern California so I get plenty of sun to run my system. The system was installed by me, all growatt parts were purchased through Renvu. I am currently commissioning and fine tuning the system. This is the US version of their Inverter, However I would like to AC couple using this inverter, I don't think growatt has updated their inverter for this feature.
Are you in San Diego by any chance? I am looking at the growatt inverters and see they are on the CEC list. Would you recommend them?

Back