diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 5000ES and Lifepo4 BMS

Ampdraw

Hi all,
Thanks to everyone who contributes on this forum. I have learned alot.
What are the requirements for a BMS for this inverter? Looking to use a 48V 302Ah Lifepo4 battery I have made that will be running an Overkill BMS.
Does this inverter cell balance?
I have downloaded manual can't find info i need or may have missed the detail.
Many thanks

Hi all,
What are the requirements for a BMS for this inverter? Looking to use a 48V 302Ah Lifepo4 battery I have made that will be running an Overkill BMS.
Many thanks
i think you are mixing up :

inverter : takes power from battery and transforms to usable power
bms : battery management software..
makes sure you batteries remain safe , sometimes can balance cells
active balancer : balances cells , but has no protection

Hi all,
Many thanks
If you load the inverter to 5000watts with a 48v battery, you will need a little more than 100amps. So your BMS would need to be rated at more than 100 amps if you want to carry the full 5000 watt load. Is that what you are asking?

If you load the inverter to 5000watts with a 48v battery, you will need a little more than 100amps. So your BMS would need to be rated at more than 100 amps if you want to carry the full 5000 watt load. Is that what you are asking?
This nails it on the head. If I understood OP correctly.

correction...."If the inverter is powered by a 48v battery and you load the inverter to 5000 watts, you will need........" The battery is not the load, which someone might read into my original statement. Silly, but that is what the words could sound like to some.

Hi there,
Very appreciative of the replies.
I'll reword my question.

How does the Growatt 5000Es do it's battery management in relation to balancing cells?

Does it have integrated BMS or are you supposed to connect it to a compatible market available battery with built in BMS?

I want to use it with my 48V 302Ah CATL battery system I have made. I wish to know if this combination will need additional BMS connected to the 5000ES or if the 5000ES also manages the battery management side already. Cells are matched and top balanced but I wish to have the cells monitored indervidually as I can with the current Overkill BMS.

Thanks again

Hi there,
I'll reword my question.

How does the Growatt 5000Es do it's battery management in relation to balancing cells?

Does it have integrated BMS or are you supposed to connect it to a compatible market available battery with built in BMS?

I want to use it with my 48V 302Ah CATL battery system I have made. I wish to know if this combination will need additional BMS connected to the 5000ES or if the 5000ES also manages the battery management side already. Cells are matched and top balanced but I wish to have the cells monitored indervidually as I can with the current Overkill BMS.

Thanks again
the growatts ( to the best of my knowledge) have NO battery management capabilities.
you always need a seperated bms to do that for you.
some bms'es are able to provide data like state of charge to the inverters, and some inverters will ramp down their charging amps when almost full, but that whole process depends fully on the bms, as does cell safety

Hi there,
I'll reword my question.

Thanks again
The 3000w Growatt units that I have will connect to the Growatt battery but even their battery manages itself and then just communicates with the inverter/charger. As previously stated, it is the battery that needs the BMS. The inverter just needs power from the battery and the inverter/charger will charge or shut down, according to what you have set in the inverter/charger for charge and discharge ranges. If you have a BMS on your battery (you mentioned the Overkill type...JBD brand) you should be good to go.

Hi there,
I'll reword my question.

Thanks again
No built in BMS for the Growatt. You need to either install a bms, or manually set voltages from the growatt - but it won't monitor the batteries, just the voltage.

Thank you all.
That answers my question.
I rang Growatt in Australia yesterday and am pleased to say that although their support seems quite small they were very helpful and took the time to understand my question and answer comprehensively. There are a number of market available batteries that will communicate via the data cable but as mentioned here the BMS function is within the battery or a separate component. The 5000ES does not monitor indervidual cell voltages.

Thanks again.

Back