diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 5000es fault 08

neoman22

Dear Sirs,

I bought my inverter growatt 5000es 48v from 27/05/2022 connected to 4 tubular battaries 200amp

The system was working amazing no problem at that time i didnt install solar panels yet. I was charging my batt from the our bldg. Generator and from the grid in case the Edl electrcity came.

Last week i installed 8 solar panel 655 watt candian solar and we installed a ground connected to 3 electrods in the ground and with all the needed dc and ac accessories surg arrestor pv breaker ac breaker and battery breaker.

The system is working well until yesterday i starting getting fault 08 only when the electrcity from the EDl goes on to the inverter am not facing any problem with the solar geting around 16 amp from solar during day and 2 or 3 amp at night. The problem is when the edl electrcity passes through the inverter it gives 08 fault and everyting turns off.

Anyone facing this problem i really need your help

Thanks and best Regards

Ah
Is the sun shining, when the code is thrown?
No only when the electrcity from the grid goes on. For example at 11pm to till 6am no electrctiy from grid the inverter was working on the batteries and while the electricity came at 6 am the inverter direclty cuts off the electrcity and 08 fault is shown on the inverter. Please notr that while the sun is shinning i have no problem i am the inverter is working normally and while also the generator is on the inverter is working normally.

This only happens when the electrcity comes online suddenly and it this fault happens. When it happens i turn off everything and pv breaker ac breaker and battery breaker and turn off the inverter and turn it back on and everything works perfectly.

Fault code 08 is "DC bus voltage too high".
Check settings 19, 20 and 21, to make sure that they are correct for your battery.

ERROR 08 (DC bus voltage too high)
This issue is usually caused by setting too high of a charging voltage and/or too high of a current at EDL
Also note that this issue only persists on lithium banks
installers in Lebanon tend to raise the charging voltage and the float voltage to 57+ Volts, which in most cases does not damage your lithium battery pack, but will trip an alarm in the BMS (cell voltage too high) thus suddenly blocking current flow into the batteries causing a spike in the DC bus ( the one responsible of charging the batteries).

the reason this only happens when the grid is present comes from the fact that the inverter can pull full power from the grid till the end of the charging cycle, which is hardly possible on panels as they are "softer" with delivering power.

A simple fix is by lowering the charging and bulk voltage to 54.4V and charging at a slower speed, i would recommend no more than 70 amps.

Other issues might cause the problem but this is the most common one.

Back