diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 5000ES inverters unexpectedly switching to grid power with batteries @ 85% SOC

11 lifepower 4 batteries and one lifepowerLL that is operating as a dumb battery (no comm connection)
With no actual comunication to the battery then the inverter just "guesses" a SOC #based on voltage parameters you have set. It really means nothing in terms of actual battery you may or maynot have left.

With no actual comunication to the battery then the inverter just "guesses" a SOC #based on voltage parameters you have set. It really means nothing in terms of actual battery you may or maynot have left.
Only the one battery isn't communicating.

The (11) EG4 LiFepower4 battery communication is functional, comm. cable chain from battery to battery and master battery to inverter. Only my single EG4-LL is not in the communication chain because the communication is not compatible between the two types. Stick with one or the other for all batteries and you will be fine.

I was told a EE at Signature Solar spent a day trying to get a mix of battery types to work and was not successful. That was a couple months ago so maybe they've solved it. In my case it was just easier to get things working properly to not connect the LL version battery into the communication chain.

The problem that I had with the LL battery in the communication chain is the inverters would limit the charging power to ~1360 watts per inverter no matter what, when they should have been charging at over 3000w each.

Another instance of inverters switching loads to grid power randomly occurred last night around midnight. Battery SOC was and still is at 90%.
Still importing from grid at time of writing this. Last time the inverters didn't switch back to batteries until SOC hit 100%. We see if it does that again and then I am considering switching off AC input to the inverters. I can always turn it back on if batteries ever get low enough to require grid input.

Contribution from the PV arrays is all going to charge the batteries at this time.

Another instance of inverters switching loads to grid power randomly occurred last night around midnight. Battery SOC was and still is at 90%.
Still importing from grid at time of writing this. Last time the inverters didn't switch back to batteries until SOC hit 100%. We see if it does that again and then I am considering switching off AC input to the inverters. I can always turn it back on if batteries ever get low enough to require grid input.

Contribution from the PV arrays is all going to charge the batteries at this time.
Double check settings #12 and #13.

25% and 30%

At least that's where they were set at, I have not checked today.
One weird quirk I found with these is if you are in Battery comms mode and the battery charges to the back to Battery voltage, switches off grid, then depletes itself due to a cloudy day or high loads down to the back to AC setting it will not switch more than once per day draining the battery all the way down and cutting off power even with a grid connection.

I suggest trying seperating out your 12 and 13 setting a bit further apart.

One weird quirk I found with these is if you are in Battery comms mode and the battery charges to the back to Battery voltage, switches off grid, then depletes itself due to a cloudy day or high loads down to the back to AC setting it will not switch more than once per day draining the battery all the way down and cutting off power even with a grid connection.

I suggest trying seperating out your 12 and 13 setting a bit further apart.
I haven't had this problem. Mine has switched back and forth several times, in a single day.

Is there any downside of not having Grid AC input to the inverters? I've never run the battery SOC anywhere near 25%.

In the case the batteries did get to 25%, I assume the inverters will just shut down AC output?

Is there any downside of not having Grid AC input to the inverters? I've never run the battery SOC anywhere near 25%.

In the case the batteries did get to 25%, I assume the inverters will just shut down AC output?
The only downside, is not having grid for backup.
Yes, inverters will just shut down.
(At shut down setting) setting #21

You keep speaking in percentages, However the settings being refered to take voltage numbers. Just hope your doing your math right.
The inverter settings are in %. If I don't use the BMS communication I can set to voltage numbers but my understanding is that it is better to use the communication.

Back