diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 5000es or EG4 6500ex

JoshVannette

I currently have 3 growatt 5000es units from signiture solar. Due to some safety concerns that I've seen posted on these units I'm wondering if I would be better off exchanging the 3 growatts and auto transformer for 2 EG4 6500s. I have 12500kw of panels and Eg4 batteries. Both would meet my needs just wondering what are some of the pros and cons?

Thanks,
Josh

If you plan on connecting to the grid, go with the EG4's. It's the easier option.

Then the Growatt's are the most cost effective option. All of the issues are due to grid pass through.
I have 8 Growatt's in the plans for my completed system.

Then the Growatt's are the most cost effective option. All of the issues are due to grid pass through.
I have 8 Growatt's in the plans for my completed system.
This is exactly it. Much easier set up, no worries about transformer issues. I'd keep the Growatts if you are 100% off-grid.

This is exactly it. Much easier set up, no worries about transformer issues. I'd keep the Growatts if you are 100% off-grid.
Awesome, I'll keep the growatts. Would y'all be able to advise on panel layout to make best use of my 3 growatts? Attached panel specs, I have 50 panels available.

Thanks,
Josh

Attachments

• PXL_20220603_165634932.jpg
    PXL_20220603_165634932.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 34
Awesome, so two 10 panel strings in series into two of the inverters. Then one 10 panel string into the third correct? - 2 referring to putting those strings in parallel?

Awesome, so two 10 panel strings in series into two of the inverters. Then one 10 panel string into the third correct? - 2 referring to putting those strings in parallel?
Yes
I have the same panels. This is my setup.

Awesome! Thank you
So with this setup, there's no need for a combiner box if I'm thinking of it correctly?

Appreciate the help. I'm very new to this!

Do you have any fuses that you recommend or disconnects that you use for your setup?

Stick with Growatt.. I just bought 4 of the EG4 6500ex and have had nothing but issues.. and as much as I love the company on this forum helping their actual customer service when you contact them is a bit of a dumpsterfire.

Stick with Growatt.. I just bought 4 of the EG4 6500ex and have had nothing but issues.. and as much as I love the company on this forum helping their actual customer service when you contact them is a bit of a dumpsterfire.
Can you explain some of your problems?

Back