diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 5000ES - US

afmiller

So I finally got my system set up and wanted to test a load that was around 18 amps. It is a computer server rack. I had the Growatt in Util mode, and I was getting 111-115 voltage, and the inverter wouldn't handle the load. It kept tripping and restarting the computer equipment constantly. The load is only around 2300 watts. I've tried to start things up slowly thinking it might be the surge power, but no luck. I have a 20 amp breaker on the Panel that's connected to the inverter, that hasn't tripped. When AC input is hooked up I am getting a warning code 10 which stays on. I've also gotten a fault code 52 on the unit too. When I place the unit into SBU mode, it's outputting 240v, onto a single wire (Load from inverter to Panel). Which won't work since I need to have 120. What am I missing? I've attached a photo of the setup I have. The blue wire is the neutral. I've confirmed the grounds are bonded from input and output, additionally PV is not hooked up currently. I am waiting to install that once I get the AC setup going.

I am in the US and this is all within the same building
Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 13
Did you buy the unit from Signature solar?
Did you also by the auto-transformer for the unit to provide split phase 240VAC?
Are you feeding the unit with 240AC using L1 and L2 from you utility panel?

Did you buy the unit from Signature solar?
Did you also by the auto-transformer for the unit to provide split phase 240VAC?
Are you feeding the unit with 240AC using L1 and L2 from you utility panel?

I did buy from signature solar. I do not have the auto transformer (which I am seeing I might need now). The unit is being fed from the utility panel with 120v. It’s a single throw 50amp breaker
The other thing I think I might need to fix, is I have the ground and neutral bonded in the solar panel. Looks like I might have to run 1-2 additional wires from the main panel ground / neutral bar so they aren’t bonded in that panel. Would one suffice since the input and output grounds are bonded already. Basically just a single wire to the main panel for the neutral and separate terminal blocks

Did the SS explain to you what you are buying and did they also give you the wiring diagram?
That unit is 240VAC unit, you cannot feed it with 120VAC.
There is many threads about this SPF 5000ES US unit.

Last edited:
Did the SS explain to you what you are buying and did they also give you the wiring diagram?
That unit is 240VAC unit, you cannot feed it with 120VAC.
There is many threads about this SPF 5000ES US unit.
I would say no. But also I would say that it is on me as well. I assumed it was 120 based on it being a US model. As for wiring I only got the Manual that growatt has. Did I miss it in there? I don’t recall seeing. I remember seeing L N and G wires in the AC Input section.
I’ve gone and shut down the system for now until tomorrow when I’ll get a 50amp double throw so it can get the full 240v. As for the transformer is there any place to get one. I saw SS isn’t getting them until mid June or later.
In Hind sight I wish I found this forum and went through here before I bought stuff so I could have been fully prepared

The problem with this model is that it is a Euro modified unit sold by SS, if you look at the user manual it does not show anything regarding to US in the manual and on the sticker on the side of the unit. SS should have that fixed by now to show the correct wiring and instruction, that is why there are many threads about this so called 'US" unit. The AC input should have been re-labeled as L1 and L2 if it is for US electrical system.
'L N and G wires in the AC Input section.' that is based on 230VAC Euro wiring. This is just bad for SS for not providing correct manual, it should have been done since many in the forum had pointed out, it is bad business.

The problem with this model is that it is a Euro modified unit sold by SS, if you look at the user manual it does not show anything regarding to US in the manual and on the sticker on the side of the unit. SS should have that fixed by now to show the correct wiring and instruction, that is why there are many threads about this so called 'US" unit. The AC input should have been re-labeled as L1 and L2 if it is for US electrical system.
I appreciate the help bud, I went with SS because I was reading about the EU units and such having the bonding issues. Thought if they fixed that, other stuff would have been changed too. So basically need a 2 pole 50 amp breaker, with L1 and L2 going into the L and N for the AC in. Same thing going out to the transformer. Which then will split it to the 120 legs for my breaker. That diagram from the link you posted really helps

Do you have a suggestion on where to get the transformers?

I appreciate the help bud, I went with SS because I was reading about the EU units and such having the bonding issues. Thought if they fixed that, other stuff would have been changed too. So basically need a 2 pole 50 amp breaker, with L1 and L2 going into the L and N for the AC in. Same thing going out to the transformer. Which then will split it to the 120 legs for my breaker. That diagram from the link you posted really helps

Do you have a suggestion on where to get the transformers?
They still do not have auto-transformer back in stock? Many people are looking for them too.

Back