diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 5k 48v

Mtwilks25

So I'm looking at the growatt 5k 48v inverter. I know electrical pretty well and we run on 240 volts split phase 60hz. Air compressors, hvac units and well pumps use 240v split phase. This inverter shows to be 240v single phase. Let's forget anything 120 volts because I understand the need for the autotransformer in this area. Signature solar says this 240v single phase inverter will run a hvac unit designed for split phase 240v. I don't see for the life of me how single phase 240v will run anything designed for split phase. Yes I know that a hvac unit doesn't have a neutral wire. All hvac units require 2 120v legs with a ground. Also if they inverter is 240 single phase what input voltage can I put into? Can I put 240v split phase into this inverter or only 120v since we run on 240v split phase and this inverter is single phase 240v?

Last edited:
You connect the 240ac out of the converter to the 240v primary of the auto-transformer. The secondary of the transformer as a wire connected between the secondary coil. The is the neutral/return wire. The voltage at the two ends of the secondary is 240vac while either end of the secondary with respect to the neutral wife is 120 vac.

1631506196308.png

Yes, my 2424lv doesn't have a neutral and runs the power in the house just fine. But all the outlets and switches in the house do have a green wire running to the common ground at the Utility surface meter.

The auto-transformer is used on controllers like the Growatt 5000es that is only 240/220 vac output and you what to run 120 vac to your circuit breaker panel to the house. Since I'm updating to the Growatt 5000, I will need the auto-transformer as I need 120 avc to the house and 220 for the central air conditioner.

Note that you should be able to connect the red and black wires (240/220) from your Utility meter into the primary of the auto-transformer if you want to bypass the controller for maintenance without turning the power off to the house. - But I haven't done this yet as I haven't bought the transformer yet.

Just buy the spf-6000t-dvm-mvp - built in 75lbs transformer, upto 250v solar input with 80a charge to battery, 6kw ac inverter, the beast.

You connect the 240ac out of the converter to the 240v primary of the auto-transformer. The secondary of the transformer as a wire connected between the secondary coil. The is the neutral/return wire. The voltage at the two ends of the secondary is 240vac while either end of the secondary with respect to the neutral wife is 120 vac.

View attachment 64397
My question is, how does this inverter produce 240v single phase, is there on 240v on terminal L1 by itself and what does terminal N do?

My question is, how does this inverter produce 240v single phase, is there on 240v on terminal L1 by itself and what does terminal N do?
it doesn't, the output across L1 and L2 is 240vac and L1 to neutral is 120vac and L2 to neutral is 120vac. The L1 to neutral and L2 to neutral is the split phase.

it doesn't, the output across L1 and L2 is 240vac and L1 to neutral is 120vac and L2 to neutral is 120vac. The L1 to neutral and L2 to neutral is the split phase.
Thank you for this information. We have had several power issues this year over the entire state, including an extended time during a freeze and then we recently had a hurricane that left us without power.

I have a subpanel that feeds my shop, I'm considering isolating it from my main panel with a Growatt 5000 ES with the auto transformer and 2 EG4 48V 100ah batteries as a starting point to maintain some normalcy.

I understand that this system is for off grid only, I've been reading the 5000 ES manual in order to make sure I won't damage the inverter or appliances if I output back from my inverter to selected main panel circuits via a manual transfer switch. I'm not reading any precautionary warnings in the manual so far. I see how the auto transformer in a way is an isolator for the neutral in reference to the inverter L1 and L2, however my knowledge is limited or perhaps my confidence. hahaha. My question is, can I power selected home circuits using a manual transfer switch while my main is turned on, or do I have to turn off my main power while lined up to inverter power? Thanks in advance...

I don't have the Growatts 5000 yet, saving up money, but I'm using the MTTP 20424kv controller/inverter. But this controller/inverter will not handle 220vac air conditioner and heavy usage appliances like my microwave.

So what I did was to make a transfer box with the tree main wires from the utility company (red, black, white) as the input. Then attached the two-wire from my air conditioner to the red and black terminals in my transfer box as to have 220vac for the A/C. Then I ran the black and white (neutral) and the green (ground) wires to the controller/inverter.

In my house sub-panel, I removed the common return bar (common to all-white wires) and moved all appliances to the right side of the panel and everything else to the left side of the sub-panel). Note that I verified that after removing the common crossbar, that there was no continuity between them with no power going to the panel.

Then from my transfer box, I ran the red and white wire from the transfer box to the right side of my panel as to have Utility power 24/7 to the appliances. Then I ran the black and white wires from the controller/inverter (2424v) to the left side of my sub-panel that powers the rest of the house on Solar. - this has been working fine all summer.

I have also installed a set of switches that I can configure in case the Utility power is out for an extended period of time that I can switch to a gas generator as the ac input to the controller. And in case the controller/inverter craps out, I can configure my three switches so the 110vac that would go to the controller will now go to the left side of my sub-panel. So in theory, I have all bases covered for any power issues to the house.

Note this is still an off-grid setup as I'm not feeding power back to the utility company.

The transfer box and the switches are the keys to this system setup.|

With the Growatts 5000, I will be able to reconfigure my sub-panel back to its original configuration. And with the auto-transfer, I will be able to the whole house including appliances. And then taping off the 220/240vac (voltage across the auto-transfer ends) run wires to the A/C.

and if I ever sell this house and the new owners don't want the Solar, just give me 15 minutes and I can the utility re-connected to the Sub-panel and I will tear down the solar system, including the arrays, and take it with me.

With the Growatts 5000, I will be able to reconfigure my sub-panel back to its original configuration. And with the auto-transfer, I will be able to the whole house including appliances. And then taping off the 220/240vac (voltage across the auto-transfer ends) run wires to the A/C.
Interesting, thanks again!

Back