diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 6000 USE V US2?

gnomie

Riddle me this. The Growatt 6000 offers the standard fare of battery type selections, BUT, the LI selection REQUIRES communication with your battery/BMS to function. Finding a compatible communication cable to pair a Growatt 6000 with a Daly BMS is problematic if not impossible. SO... Growatt offers a unique work around by offering a "special" battery option labeled "US2". The manual states that this is the preferred selection for those who are running LiFe batteries WITHOUT a communication link between the two components. WHY? You have control over the same exact parameters with USE as US2. I'm having some problems getting the Growatt to fully utilize the PV input to charge the battery. It "chokes" in a matter of minutes and simply quits accepting more than a few watts (20 or less) from the panels and sends ZERO of it to the battery even though the battery is well below the overcharge limit specified. Scratching my head and beginning to think the control board in the Growatt is defective. The cells are all balanced. No cell is racing past the charge limit and triggering a block by the BMS. No cell is dragging so low as to trigger a low voltage cutoff. It just arbitrarily quits charging and won't reset to charging until you do a complete battery disconnect and power down the Growatt then restart it. I've read a post where someone was having a similar issue and was advised by a well-known company to disregard the designated preference and set battery type to USE instead of US2 to set the charging parameters. I'll try that tomorrow and report back, but as many threads as I have found reporting charging issues with the Growatt 6000, I'm not holding out a lot of hope. Not excited about replacing $550 dollars worth of internal boards on a Growatt that never functioned properly out of the box, but that's what you get when you buy your components a few at a time, as you can afford them, and don't get around to assembling the system until all of your warranty time has passed.

"USE" is what you want.
It gives you more control over the settings.

Wish I could remember things. Not sure which program it was, but the consensus was that one of those programs works much better than the other.

Riddle me this. The Growatt 6000 offers the standard fare of battery type selections, BUT, the LI selection REQUIRES communication with your battery/BMS to function. Finding a compatible communication cable to pair a Growatt 6000 with a Daly BMS is problematic if not impossible. SO... Growatt offers a unique work around by offering a "special" battery option labeled "US2". The manual states that this is the preferred selection for those who are running LiFe batteries WITHOUT a communication link between the two components. WHY? You have control over the same exact parameters with USE as US2. I'm having some problems getting the Growatt to fully utilize the PV input to charge the battery. It "chokes" in a matter of minutes and simply quits accepting more than a few watts (20 or less) from the panels and sends ZERO of it to the battery even though the battery is well below the overcharge limit specified. Scratching my head and beginning to think the control board in the Growatt is defective. The cells are all balanced. No cell is racing past the charge limit and triggering a block by the BMS. No cell is dragging so low as to trigger a low voltage cutoff. It just arbitrarily quits charging and won't reset to charging until you do a complete battery disconnect and power down the Growatt then restart it. I've read a post where someone was having a similar issue and was advised by a well-known company to disregard the designated preference and set battery type to USE instead of US2 to set the charging parameters. I'll try that tomorrow and report back, but as many threads as I have found reporting charging issues with the Growatt 6000, I'm not holding out a lot of hope. Not excited about replacing $550 dollars worth of internal boards on a Growatt that never functioned properly out of the box, but that's what you get when you buy your components a few at a time, as you can afford them, and don't get around to assembling the system until all of your warranty time has passed.
So I switched to the USE battery option and it seems to work MUCH better. It actually sustained a charge current to my battery for about an hour. The max charge current was set to 60A but it was morning so the angle on the panels slowly increased the amps to the battery from about 10 to 30 then when it got close to 40A going the battery ( a little more than 2000w) the Growatt battery voltage indicator jumped from just below 55V to 68.3V and immediately quit charging the battery. It would restart the charging process as the battery voltage indicator dropped back down to reality but as soon as it exceeded 2kw of input, bam, deja vu all over again. For now, I have programmed the max amps on the charge to 30A and it seems to be holding, but in the long run that won't collect enough power to do what I need it to do. Any thoughts are appreciated.

"USE" is what you want.
It gives you more control over the settings.
Not on my 6000. Choosing either of the user definitions enables the exact same parameter controls which isn't much, Charge Voltage, Float Voltage and Low Battery Shutoff voltage.

I'm having a senior moment.
I don't remember why USE is better than USE2.
I just cheated and looked at my settings.
I know that there was a reason.
Free giggles for @Kornbread lol

Yeah, there was a thread or two about how one program worked good while the other was flaky. Same settings.

Not on my 6000. Choosing either of the user definitions enables the exact same parameter controls which isn't much, Charge Voltage, Float Voltage and Low Battery Shutoff voltage.
I think it might allow you a wider range of settings with those parameters.

New here and don't get how to set it up, I have the sph 6000 and want to connect some DIY li-ion baterry but my invertor says no connection and does not charge them, I have a stupid BMS without communication, how can I change the settings as you did to accept my battery, I can't find a manual on this

Back