diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 6000T - RJ45 to RS485 pinout - Help

Joe BoyKey

Watts, Watts, more Watts
Anyone know the pinout of the Rj45 - Rs485 port seen below, need to convert it to usbA TO HOOK TO Raspberry pI 4B, thanks in advance Joe.
1623939687812.png

Last edited:
This manual shows it on page 6. Not 100% sure this is the correct manual.
got it thanks, that manual is for SPF 6000T-DVM-mpv = 250vdc solar input
I have the Growatt SPF 6000T-DVM = 150vdc solar input, am checking with Watt247 to see if it's good - THANKS

Last edited:
Roger that, have 3 gyll batteries, been there done that, thanks for reply, joe.
I have 3 48v Gyll batteries and I'm struggling to get a RS485 connection to work so I can connect to it with the BMS_Tools utility that came with it. Do you have any tips?

@Skoolie Yes edit comlist.ini in the Bms_tools directory

Let me know if you have problems

@Skoolie Yes edit comlist.ini in the Bms_tools directory

Let me know if you have problems

My CH340 is on COM4 and I'm only trying to connect to one battery individually right now so I haven't changed any of the dip switches but when I edit the .ini file and type COM4 and save it, then BMS_TOOLS gives the com4 option under SearchDevice and I select it and click Search and it tries to connect but I get the same message as before
---------------------------
Bms_tools
No serial port or device is available
Solution
1 Check if device manager has serial port
2 Check if the serial port is in good condition
3 Is the hardware device working properly?
4 Adjust initialization delay parameters
5 Adjust baud rate
OK

And also, after I exit the program, the .ini file has been cleared out and is just an empty file.

When you cut off the other end of your ethernet cable, which two wires did you put in the little terminals on the USB adapter? I'm trying to use the brown pair as I saw in David Poz video about this battery. He used Solid Brown for negative and Brown-White for Positive and the software worked for him, but nothing is working for me and I can't get anyone at Signature to call me back! ARGHH!!!

You need to make sure brown and br/white are on pins 7&8 on the rj-45, sounds like you have a driver problem, have you tried update ch340 driver?
1629886008817.png1629887632564.png

Last edited:
Signature solar is sending me a new usb adapter today so hopefully that will fix the problem.

Yes, for Solar Assistant running on Pi4b it was straight thru cable from Growatt usb to Pi4 usb2 port, works perfect. For the Gyll battery to computer it as stated above pin 7 - Br/wh and pin8 - Brown to pc via rs485 adapter + and -.

@Joe BoyKey Can you share any info you have. I'm struggling to get either CANBUS or RS-485 working. I'd like to either connect it upto a pi or get batrium working over CANBUS. So much confusing information about pinouts and whether to use the RS-485 port or the BMS port so any tips would be much appreciated

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has a definitive answer for the rj45 pin out for rs485 on growatt inverters. I have managed to get my PI communicating with another charge controller via it's rs485 connection and looking to add my growatt off grid inverter to that same bus.

Do these manufacturers generally follow a standard for rs485 pins on rj45? Epever is manu of the charge controller I currently have communicating over modbus.

Thanks

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has a definitive answer for the rj45 pin out for rs485 on growatt inverters. I have managed to get my PI communicating with another charge controller via it's rs485 connection and looking to add my growatt off grid inverter to that same bus.

Do these manufacturers generally follow a standard for rs485 pins on rj45? Epever is manu of the charge controller I currently have communicating over modbus.

Thanks
The Pi and Growatt connect using the usb-b to usb-a cable that came with your Growatt, at least for Solar Assistant, not sure what Os is on your Pi or what your trying to do. Growatt to Gyll battery is straight through rj-45 cable from Growatt bms port tp Gyll rs-485 port and change settings on Growatt to LI-01 protocol - must have Battery connected when changing setting and keep it connected or Growatt will fail and shut down with communications loss, Joe.
1637136289198.png

Have never tied anything to Growatt rs485 port, but as DThames stated above the spf-6000t-dvm-mvp manual indicates using BMS port -
1637136765685.png

The Pi and Growatt connect using the usb-b to usb-a cable that came with your Growatt, at least for Solar Assistant, not sure what Os is on your Pi or what your trying to do. Growatt to Gyll battery is straight through rj-45 cable from Growatt bms port tp Gyll rs-485 port and change settings on Growatt to LI-01 protocol - must have Battery connected when changing setting and keep it connected or Growatt will fail and shut down with communications loss, Joe.
Have never tied anything to Growatt rs485 port, but as DThames stated above the spf-6000t-dvm-mvp manual indicates using BMS port -
I found that pin out diagram for the BMS port in my manual as well. I wasn't completely sure if it is safe to assume the second rj45 port labeled rs485 on my growatt would have the same pin out. I notice there isn't a ground pin on the diagram. Not sure if that matters.

Using a Pi Zero 2 W with a single USB to rs485 converter to talk to an epever charge controller. I would like to add the growatt to that same bus the epever is on instead of adding a USB hub to the Pi Zero. I understand that the growatt seems to communicate at 9600(stated in some manual somewhere), so I would have to lower the rate on the epever before putting them on the same bus. Epever controller ships at 115000.

Rasbian Buster Lite.

Victoriametrics for the DB
Grafana
Telegraf
Grott in proxy mode for the growatt wifi adapter. (Is limited to 1 minute updates and other drawbacks. I really want direct wire connection)
Python script to read the registers of the epever. (Not yet reporting to database.)
Python scripts reading shunt and Overkill BMS data -> telegraf -> database.

Gottch, Solar assistant will do 10 second updates and has 18 sensors to feed my Home Assistant via Mqtt, Just bought 4th pi4b 8g and loaded Bullseye but haven't loaded anything on it. Not a coder so SA was the easiest way to go for me, have hardwired 2 - jdb bms's and 4 gyl batteries, Gyll's are reporting to SA/HA and am working on getting Jbd's into Home Assistant. MotionEye on pi0 shows up in HA as video of my main battery monitor and all is viewable via the cloud or local ip.
1637145567684.png
1637145609919.png

1637145648061.png

Back