diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 6000t utility charging cutting off early

mcmullen7242

I have a growatt 6000t that I charge at night with a predator 9500 super quiet generator. My problem now is that it stops charging the battery at 55v even though my setting 13 is 57.4v.
Here are my current settings:
1: UTI (generator needs to manually started so I want that priority when I turn it on)
11: 50A
12: 48v (shouldn’t matter because I manually start)
13: 57.4v
14: SNU
19:57.4v
20: 56.5v
21: 47.5v

Also I have a secondary question about the WiFi setup, is it possible to have the app send notifications when your battery hits certain voltage so I don’t have to wake up constantly checking the voltage. Thanks in advance!

What do you mean by stopped at 55 V?

Perhaps it has completed the charging cycle and the batteries have dropped back to their resting state?

Those Growatt's have terrible calibration. Try nudging #13 up 0.2 and see if the batteries follow.
They are great transformer inverters, just horrible at being a charge controller and MPPT !!!!

What do you mean by stopped at 55 V?

Perhaps it has completed the charging cycle and the batteries have dropped back to their resting state?
Up until a week ago I was using the growatt 3000 and it would charge my batteries to the set 57.4v I programmed. But now the inverter stops taking amps from the generator right when my battery voltage hits 55v and just has the generator power the load.

Those Growatt's have terrible calibration. Try nudging #13 up 0.2 and see if the batteries follow.
They are great transformer inverters, just horrible at being a charge controller and MPPT !!!!
I will definitely try that, wish I knew that before I bought this haha. I had no problems with the 3000 but just needed a bigger array and anyone I asked said the 6000 was great

Up until a week ago I was using the growatt 3000 and it would charge my batteries to the set 57.4v I programmed. But now the inverter stops taking amps from the generator right when my battery voltage hits 55v and just has the generator power the load.
Hmmm. Has anything else been changed?
I guess I'd be checking all terminal connections for a start.

But as mentioned, test the actual voltages versus what the unit is reporting. I made a slight adjustment to my inverter settings when I added a smart shunt. Wasn't much, 0.1 V. Mine's not a Growatt tho

I checked all the terminals and they were all fine. The actual voltage of the batteries is displayed on each battery because it’s from bigbattery, but I checked them anyway and they were correct. That is also the same voltage that the unit says but for some reason still not charging the battery to what I programmed. I also realized today that the problem isn’t just with utility charging it is also with my pv array. What could be causing these to stop fully charging?

So I have noticed a problem, while the battery is charging the inverter reads the voltage to be higher than it actually is so it shuts off, then once off it starts to read correctly. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

that is as-intended. that's bulk vs float charging. the charger has to push a higher load to get the battery to it's peak voltage, then it drops off

that is as-intended. that's bulk vs float charging. the charger has to push a higher load to get the battery to it's peak voltage, then it drops off

but the battery isn’t fully charged, only about 75% and it doesn’t slow down to trickle charge the rest. It literally puts 0A into battery once I hit 55v. And my growatt 3000 never had this issue

Reactions: Rho
while the battery is charging the inverter reads the voltage to be higher than it actually is
Can you clarify this please. Do you means the voltage the inverter reports is significantly higher (57.4 V) to what you are measuring at the terminals of the battery (55 V) at the same time?

What are the voltage and current readings just prior to when the units stops charging the battery?

What do you have for Setting 5 Battery Type?

The voltage of the batteries just prior to when the unit stops charging is between 55.0-55.2V and the current is 49-50A. The inverter reads it to be 57.4v right before stopping the charge and right after it cuts out it reads the proper 55-55.2V.

My setting number 5 is US2

Reactions: Rho
I’m going to try to lower the charging amps a little to see if charging it slower makes the inverter read the battery voltage more correctly

The voltage of the batteries just prior to when the unit stops charging is between 55.0-55.2V and the current is 49-50A. The inverter reads it to be 57.4v right before stopping the charge and right after it cuts out it reads the proper 55-55.2V.
Yes that's strange and I have little idea what's going on. Given the charging current is still pretty high it's not a premature float bug.

I’m going to try to lower the charging amps a little to see if charging it slower makes the inverter read the battery voltage more correctly
Good luck.

Else all I can suggest is contacting the Growatt dealer for some support.

So I have noticed a problem, while the battery is charging the inverter reads the voltage to be higher than it actually is so it shuts off, then once off it starts to read correctly. Does anyone know how I can fix this?
Yes change setting 13 up 0.2-0.3 of a volt and see if the batteries go up that much too.

Check each battery voltage. You may have one charging faster. Thus bms turns off charging.

Back