diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 6000T

Lt.Dan

Solar Wizard
Hey guys, next month I'm gearing up to order my inverter for the trailer, and after a lot of research I've pretty much decided to go with the Growatt 6000T, but I don't hear of very many people using them? Are they relatively new? Is there some down side that im missing? I read it has a transformer and is low frequency, andI'm going to sound very ignorant or ill informed, but I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, or if it even really matters?

I went back and forth between a lot of models! 2xLV2024s, 2x LV3048's, an LV6048s, an LV5048, 2x Growatt 3000watts, etc, but I basically got led back to the 6000T. I am putting it in my trailer, and wiring it directly after my transfer switch (which is dictating power from shore or generator), and is 50 amp 240v split phase. Im awaiting 16x 280 AH CATL cells I ordered from Michael on here, and then the out put of the inverter will go directly to the back of my breaker panel, in split phase fashion as well.

Does anybody have any experience with this model, or even the 12000T?

Is there any other products that will do something similar you guys recommend?

No one? I find it hard to believe I'm gonna be the pioneer here?

A "low frequency" inverter (like the 6000T) can handle large inrush-current loads like AC, air compressors, and large table saws. Roughly speaking, this requires a heavyweight transformer compared to featherlight "high-frequency" inverters. See also here and here. So if you only power resistive loads like heaters (meaning little/no inrush current), low-frequency inverters would be fine. So what are your loads, would be one of the first questions to ask yourself.

Weight comparison:
Size wise, the 6000T probably wins (more compact, one device instead of two).

Another thing to keep in mind is the noise from the fans: See for example "loud fan @ full power" in the review section.

[edit] - see also this thread for more experiences

I recently bought the growatt 6000t and I couldn't be happier. I have it in my shop powering everything through a subpanel and it performs flawlessly. Runs my air compressor, shopsmith, refrigerator and anything else I throw at it just fine. I have it fed 240 by my main breaker box as well as four 100w panels ran in series and its charging 8 100ah 12v mightymax gel batteries @ 2 48v banks in parallel.

I was originally looking at an aims or sungoldpower and now I'm thanking God I found and went with this instead. The only issue I am having is I am noticing some uneven charging in my batteries but that is more than likely due to the way I have it wired. Ive started another thread looking for suggestions for that.

Anyway, Its a good all-in-one. I will probably be buying another one for my house down the road.

Other post with pictures - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/8-batteries-48-volts-uneven-charging-pictures.21468/

I installed the Growatt SPF 6000T in our off-grid home in Baja, Mexico a couple months ago. We have 4500W of panels, and 8 12V 250A-hr lead-carbon AGM batteries, two strings in parallel giving 48V and 500 A-hr.

So far I love it. I have just installed two mini-split air conditioners in the house. A 1-ton unit keeps the battery/control room at 75F (with window to the bathroom adding some cooling to the house). Then a 1.5 ton unit in the living room. We turn on the air conditioners at about 8am and run them all day. PV powers the house loads and also charges the batteries until around 5:30pm when we turn down the AC, and both are off by 7pm. With a well insulated house we keep the ceiling fans running all night and the house warms to about 84F overnight, which is totally tolerable with a ceiling fan over your bed. So far so good!! It will get hotter here for July, Aug, Sept so we will see how it keeps up - I'm still improving on house and battery room insulation. No AC needed for the other 8 months of the year, need to find some other way to use the excess power - maybe an electric motorcycle, haha :)

The Growatt ShinePhone app is not designed with the best user experience, but once you get comfortable it provides and excellent instant check on your phone on how your system is doing at any time. Their website dashboard is much better with nice graphs of power usage, battery status, PV, etc - here's a web screenshot from yesterday, and a phone screenshot just now.

Anyway, so far so good - very happy with this setup and the Growatt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210626-122135.png
    Screenshot_20210626-122135.png
    272.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2021-06-26 12.14.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-26 12.14.04 PM.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 19
Back