diy solar

diy solar

Growatt DVM-MPV: How to verify/confirm Battery Charger is working?

All 4 dip switches down, on the battery.
Connect the CAT6 cable to either port on the battery.
Not sure which port on your inverter. (Try both)
Set inverter to LI battery type, and give it a couple of minutes to communicate.

- Checked
- Checked
- Checked, both ports on the inverter - according to SS the BMS is the correct one, but I tried both
- Checked

After a call earlier this afternoon with SS they said the issue was the battery low voltage, which was at 52V and SOC at 2 bars on the battery. So when I tried to fully charge the batteries I came across the GroWatt no charging from the generator, hence the need for this thread.

Now the batteries are at full bars SOC, I will retry BMS communication tomorrow morning again.

By the way, the inverter tells me the battery is at 53V while the battery says full bars SOC.

Let's call the wire sets , wire 1 and 2.
All 1's together. And all 2's together. (Which one is 1 or 2 does not matter)
Great, this will be amazing if I can make it work so that the wall switch still controls the generator!

53v is in the 80% range.

Yes, I suspected each bar is about 20% range.

How do you determine the Voltage to SOC relationship for this battery? Is it standard or depends on the manufacturer? I think I will need to memorize it too, so I can understand how the system is operating.,,,

@timselectric

Inverter settings for generator power is working correctly after changing setting 01 --> UTI.
I also got the AGS wired in parallel as suggested and it worked! I can still turn on the generator from inside the cabin!

Thank you very much! (y)(y)(y)

But I'm still having the following issues:

1. Can't connect via BMS. Inverter won't take setting 05 --> LI and throws back code 04 (low SOC) and code 20 (BMS communication loss). Battery is sitting at 53.1V. Any suggestion? I already have sent SS an email asking for guidance but no response...

2. Under setting 05 - US2 mode, I am NOT able to change setting 12 "Voltage point back to utility source". I suspect this is because I am running mode 01-UTI. So how do I control when the generator get the signal to run from the inverter? Which setting controls that?

Please let me know your thoughts on these two issues.

Cheers!

1. Can't connect via BMS. Inverter won't take setting 05 --> LI and throws back code 04 (low SOC) and code 20 (BMS communication loss). Battery is sitting at 53.1V. Any suggestion? I already have sent SS an email asking for guidance but no response...

2. Under setting 05 - US2 mode, I am NOT able to change setting 12 "Voltage point back to utility source". I suspect this is because I am running mode 01-UTI. So how do I control when the generator get the signal to run from the inverter? Which setting controls that?

I was able to sort out BMS communication, so no more issues with this.

But I am stuck with the primary mode: SBU x UTI in regards to sending a signal to the generator starter: according to SS, setting #11 & #12 are not applicable under UTI and they tell me that I need to run under SBU mode but my inverter is not transferring to the generator correctly under SBU mode.

Now that your battery is charged. Try switching back to SBU. And see if it will switch on its own.

When setting #12 is reached. The inverter should switch to utility and start the generator.
When setting #13 is reached. The inverter should switch back to battery and stop the generator.

When setting #12 is reached. The inverter should switch to utility and start the generator.
When setting #13 is reached. The inverter should switch back to battery and stop the generator.

The above matches exactly my understanding and expectations of how the system should work.

Currently I am still running under UTI mode and the inverter did NOT turn on the generator after reaching setting #12 of 50% (I chose a high number to test the system).

So this is where I stand now:

When inverter is in SBU mode, the inverter does not transfer to generator power when generator is running.

When inverter is in UTI mode, the inverter transfer correctly back and forth from generator power BUT it does not follow settings #12/#13.

What a predicament!

After discussing this with SignatureSolar, we went thru a firmware update which didn't solve the problem. They are now escalating the case to tier 2 technician, whatever that means.

Very strange.
It should work without issues , in SBU mode.
It must be a glitch, in the programming.
It shouldn't start the generator, in UTI mode.
The relay controlled by 12 and 13, is only tied to battery modes.

All 4 dip switches down, on the battery.
Connect the CAT6 cable to either port on the battery.
Not sure which port on your inverter. (Try both)
Set inverter to LI battery type, and give it a couple of minutes to communicate.
I assume this is only EG4 batteries? I tried to get my Volthium batteries to communicate this summer but no luck. I definitely didn’t wait a couple minutes with the horrible alarm noise tho. Using USE setting and it’s working great but would like to see the SOC as a percentage tho.

I assume this is only EG4 batteries? I tried to get my Volthium batteries to communicate this summer but no luck. I definitely didn’t wait a couple minutes with the horrible alarm noise tho. Using USE setting and it’s working great but would like to see the SOC as a percentage tho.
Yes, I was referring to the EG4 Lifepower4 battery.
Not the same for anything else. (Including EG4 LL)

Back