diy solar

diy solar

Growatt inverter limits

Guys I have a Spf6000dvm with 4875w ( 325w Canadian solar x15) panels directly connected to the pv input so the internal charge controller is producing at max the 79 amps to charge batteries. I have 3x (48v 200ah) Rosen lifepo4 battery banks
( roughly 30kw). On cloudy and over cast days charging drops to like 20-30ah and therefore my batteries don’t get to even 90% buy the evening with loads continuously running. I am aware that the inverter does not want to take anything more than the 5000w to it’s pv input. But I have a Outback fm80 with 2700w ( 9x300w) connect to it. Can I add this somehow to help charge the batteries a bit faster in low light? What , just connect it to the battery banks bus bar? I know it’s too much and would not be utilized if I added the pv output to the pv input of the Growatt as it uses max 80ah. May eventually burn up the mppt charge controller board but can I do as described above and if so how ?

Guys I have a Spf6000dvm with 4875w ( 325w Canadian solar x15) panels directly connected to the pv input so the internal charge controller is producing at max the 79 amps to charge batteries. I have 3x (48v 200ah) Rosen lifepo4 battery banks
( roughly 30kw). On cloudy and over cast days charging drops to like 20-30ah and therefore my batteries don’t get to even 90% buy the evening with loads continuously running. I am aware that the inverter does not want to take anything more than the 5000w to it’s pv input. But I have a Outback fm80 with 2700w ( 9x300w) connect to it. Can I add this somehow to help charge the batteries a bit faster in low light? What , just connect it to the battery banks bus bar? I know it’s too much and would not be utilized if I added the pv output to the pv input of the Growatt as it uses max 80ah. May eventually burn up the mppt charge controller board but can I do as described above and if so how ?
Yeah I'm pretty sure you do it just like you suggested, use it as a separate charger and just hook it up to the main positive and negative. That way you can get more wattage in without going through the almost maxed out solar inverter.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you do it just like you suggested, use it as a separate charger and just hook it up to the main positive and negative. That way you can get more wattage in without going through the almost maxed out solar inverter.
Thanks

Not sure it's been discussed or confirmed and the search option has not helped me track it down but ...

I had 'heard' that the Growatt all-in-one hybrid inverters have limits placed on them even when 'passing through their grid connection?

In other words, I understand that they Growatt's/MMP hybrid inverters have inverters as well as solar charge controllers, battery chargers, ats, etc ... my understanding was that they would power devices via battery/solar as long as the battery solar had power AND that the load was under the inverter limit (let's use 3,000w as a standard example). If the battery or solar ran low, or the load went above the limits of the inverter that these systems could be set up to access the grid and use grid power to support loads, charge batteries, etc ... my understanding that this would occur if the load went above our 3,000w limit of the inverter (the example) and that the grid would support load in excess of the 3,000w. I have heard that even when using the grid, the unit was somehow limited to 3,000w loads? Is this correct?

Can someone confirm that they are able to power loads far in excess of the inverter limits when the unit uses the grid pass-through? Or, alternatively, can it be confirmed that when the batteries are below their voltage limit, and no solar exists (night time) that even when running of the grid, the unit is limited to, in our example, 3,000w watts?

The Growatt manuals don't seem to clearly indicate one way or the other.

Thank you,

D.
I can guarantee you that with the grid-tied Growatt MIN hybrid inverter series (I have two 5000TL-XH units), if there is a load that is higher than the load that the inverter can supply at any given moment, the required power reaches the load from the grid. You can clearly see spikes on the graph where sudden high power demands are met by the grid rather than through the inverter, so, to my knowledge and from my experience with my two Growatt hybrid inverters, there are no limits of the kind you describe. There are other! For example, you cannot wire them up on the same "plant" if you have batteries. You have to AC couple any subsequent inverters and then set them up on the software for totals as two separate plants. One of their very cool capabilities, however, which was discussed on this site previouly is that they can take twice as much wattage from the panels circuit as their rating. For example the MIN 5000 can be "fed" by 10KW of panels (as long as you respect the 550 max voltage) to then produce 5KW for the load or export and/or 5 KW to charge your battery bank. I'm still a l ittle hazy on whether or not they can generate the 5KW for the load and the 5KW for battery charging at the same time. Does anyone else know the answer to that?

I

The 3000W rating is the continuous inverter output. The specifications chart in the back of the manual indicates that the overload algorithm is timer based: 5s@>150% load; 10s@110%~150% load. Based on that, it is reasonable that the unit can handle 4500W for 5 seconds or 3001-4499 for 10 seconds before it triggers overload and transfers to grid.
actually when you pass more then the 4500w for 5 seconds it doesnt switch to the grid it turns off all electricity (beeps and gives a red led alarm) and when it comes back it uses for a while the grid , but no nice switching over

Attachments

• growatt02.jpg
    growatt02.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
Back