diy solar

diy solar

Growatt Inverter Not Auto Starting In Morning

I've just encountered this for 3 days after a couple of weeks of running/auto-starting PV charging. I'm still waiting for a warmer night to see if it's something related to battery BMS shutting off at night during freeze or it's a Growatt internal component failing like @hazim mentioned. Have you guys found issue/solution yet?

My post: Growatt not auto starting after freezing nights
It is not BMS issue cause this problem happens with lead acid batteries too not only Lithium. I still haven't found the solution, but some people in our country claims they repair this issue for 20$. I still believe it's an internal component.

It is not BMS issue cause this problem happens with lead acid batteries too not only Lithium. I still haven't found the solution, but some people in our country claims they repair this issue for 20$. I still believe it's an internal component.
I realized now that there's 2 different types of autostart issues:
Do you have your Growatt inverting 24/7 or do you have it set for scheduled inverting during some hours?

I have the same issue. Worked perfectly for almost a year. Growatt 5000ES 230v 50Hz setup with 100Ah LFP battery.
Found that if I toggle the ‘charge’ flag on the BMS off /on , charging resumes from PV. BMS is a JBD. Most annoying and I am now thinking of a work around to do the action automatically. Will also play with inverter settings again and will post again re progress.

I talked to Growatt, they said they will send me a firmware update, but they weren't clear if that will solve the problem.

They seemed like they have heard of this problem before when I explained what's was going on because they offered to send me the firmware update right away. Finger's crossed.
Hi, did you receive the firmware from Growatt to resolve the reported problem? If yes, can you please share it?

Hi, did you receive the firmware from Growatt to resolve the reported problem? If yes, can you please share it?
Why you believe it can be solved by firmware? If the inverter was working normally for several months and autostarting every morning after cuttoff at night, I see it should be a hardware issue preventing it from autostarting as it used to.

I am having this case since day 1 installed, as per reddv1, Growatt responded they will send him a new firmware and it is unlikely they will send a new firmware to address other issues, he reported this issue only.

Not sure why it was working for you well then stopped after some time? maybe you had already the latest firmware but later you had a hardware issue? or maybe it is a software glitch/bug that gets activated randomly or after some time which I believe is the most logical interpretation.

I realized now that there's 2 different types of autostart issues:
FYI, I resolved my hardware issue by replacing the unit with a new one. As I suspected, something (maybe a relay or contactor?) was preventing my Growatt from waking itself up in the morning when PV starts.

Last edited:
Any one having luck resolving the unit not autostarting charging from solar panels in the morning?

I have a growatt Spf 6000t dvm.

Had been working perfectly until a couple days ago in my off grid system.

In the early morning at first light there has always been a beep and an image of a solar panel displays on the screen and begins showing incoming pv voltage as well as the charging light begins flashing.

Now nothing changes from the unit running off of the batteries throughout the night. No incoming solar. I have to manually turn off the growatt inverter and turn it back on and then it instantly registers the incoming solar. It then works perfectly until the next morning when I have to manually restart the inverter in order to get it to start charging.

I am still able to power our cabin so the issue appears to be limited to the charger.

Any one having luck resolving the unit not autostarting charging from solar panels in the morning?

I have a growatt Spf 6000t dvm.

Had been working perfectly until a couple days ago in my off grid system.

In the early morning at first light there has always been a beep and an image of a solar panel displays on the screen and begins showing incoming pv voltage as well as the charging light begins flashing.

Now nothing changes from the unit running off of the batteries throughout the night. No incoming solar. I have to manually turn off the growatt inverter and turn it back on and then it instantly registers the incoming solar. It then works perfectly until the next morning when I have to manually restart the inverter in order to get it to start charging.

I am still able to power our cabin so the issue appears to be limited to the charger.
Trying to address why my Inverter isn't taking DC to AC right now and came across this which is something I'm also concerned about. But does your growatt power down on off? Mine still stays on when powered off.

Trying to address why my Inverter isn't taking DC to AC right now and came across this which is something I'm also concerned about. But does your growatt power down on off? Mine still stays on when powered off.
I have been able to resolve this in my case so far simply with a factory reset. I need to be more careful how how I power down and start back up my system when working on it.

I have been able to power off with the switch no problem. It's never truly off though without disconnecting the batteries it seems.

Just a thought, Is your upper exhaust fan functioning? I believe it is operating on 120v. The lower is definitely 12v. You can peak in the case from above with a flashlight to read the specs on the fan.

If it is working this could confirm DC to AC inversion is indeed occuring

Is PV power available? If so, the charge controller will be powered up.

Is PV power available? If so, the charge controller will be powered up.
Excellent point. If power from solar panels is still entering the growatt then no it won't turn off with the switch.

Acknowledging these details is what helped me avoid having issues with the solar not starting up automatically in the morning.

*** Going slow to make sure each step was being registered with the inverter ****

Shutting down: turn off ac breakers, cut off pv input, turn off inverter switch, cut off battery bank.

Starting up: Turn on battery bank, Turn on inverter switch, turn on pv input, turn on ac breakers.

I have a similar problem with my setup (Growatt SPF5000 + Growatt Ark batteries), and I think I figured it out.
Growatt support replies fast but they are not very helpful, the seller also has an engineer, but I seem to know more than they do.
I'm in a cold weather area (goes down below -20F in the winter) and the inverter + batteries are installed in a shack (not heated, and not insulated). It's installed in a remote area, to supply an offgrid cottage, I only visit once every couple of weeks.
I noticed starting Dec, when weather went below freezing that the inverter would not "run" for several days in a row and I just blamed the weather (not enough sun, as my panels are also not perfectly inclined/oriented). Then I noticed in some days it would "run" and the panels would produce plenty of output. So I started to debug, and my conclusions are as follows:
On one side, the batteries stop charging when they drop below 5 degrees Celsius (41F). Growatt support confirmed this, although the manual says they charge above -10C / 14F (with less amps), I guess that's a typo in the translation from Chinese. So, if not warm enough, the batteries will not charge. I noticed when the batteries are cold, the inverter initially shows nothing (no charging), then as they get warmer it shows it supplying energy, but almost nothing (something like 0.1A), and only when they are really warm enough (above 41F?) they start charging properly. It's hard to tell, as the batteries have their own insulation, so there can be a big difference between the cells temp and the ambient temp.
I found a solution, with an insulation box for the batteries, a smart thermostat and a heating pad for terrariums. I'm now monitoring it but so far it seems like it works well. The heating pad is only 15W but seems to be enough to warm the enclosure. Of course, it also has to be monitored summer time to make sure they don't overheat.
On the other side, the other problem is the inverter has the normal operation mode, which works when you have some kind of input (PV/batteries), but if none is available it goes into "stand-by". The problem is resuming from stand-by. Not sure yet if it's the power saving setting (I will see next time I go there, the ShinePhone app shows all settings but that one), but what I can say for sure is the inverter does not go back automatically from stand-by to supplying AC. It only charges the batteries. So only when the batteries have enough SOC they will trigger it, and supply AC. I'm sure as I tested this several days in a row, and as morning and sun comes, the inverter starts supplying the batteries, charging them until they reach a certain SOC, then the batteries start the supply to AC, which also triggers the inverter into normal operating mode. This can be forced also with low battery if you reset the inverter (stop batteries, stop DC input, then restart), but of course this only works if you are there.
So I don't think it's faulty hardware, rather faulty firmware setup. If it would be hardware, a simple reset wouldn't fix it.

Last edited:
Back