diy solar

diy solar

Growatt MIC 3000TL-X can't remember what time it is

j3rk

©¿©¬
I just started using my new Growatt MIC 3000TL-X grid-tie inverter that I bought from Signature Solar, and it's working well. I'm getting about 1.8kW out of my 2.5kW worth of used solar panels. The problem I am having is that every day I get home from work about 5:15pm and the inverter reports that it has only generated about 1.8kWh for the day. The lifetime total seems to be accurately calculating though, showing about 75kWh total since I got it up and running about a week ago. I figured out that it keeps resetting itself to GMT, so 4pm pacific time right now is 00:00 GMT, which is when the inverter resets its daily total. Does anyone know how to make it remember its date/time setting? I've changed it multiple times through the front panel single-button interface following the instructions in the manual, but every day I come home and it has reset. I assume it's losing its memory when it shuts off over night, but that doesn't make sense since it's always connected to the grid and should be able to remember things. Ideas? ?‍♀️

I just started using my new Growatt MIC 3000TL-X grid-tie inverter that I bought from Signature Solar, and it's working well. I'm getting about 1.8kW out of my 2.5kW worth of used solar panels. The problem I am having is that every day I get home from work about 5:15pm and the inverter reports that it has only generated about 1.8kWh for the day. The lifetime total seems to be accurately calculating though, showing about 75kWh total since I got it up and running about a week ago. I figured out that it keeps resetting itself to GMT, so 4pm pacific time right now is 00:00 GMT, which is when the inverter resets its daily total. Does anyone know how to make it remember its date/time setting? I've changed it multiple times through the front panel single-button interface following the instructions in the manual, but every day I come home and it has reset. I assume it's losing its memory when it shuts off over night, but that doesn't make sense since it's always connected to the grid and should be able to remember things. Ideas? ?‍♀️
how is it working for you ? am considering one to replace my failing Fronius ig3000. Were you already grid-tie with another inverter and this was additional ?

So far it has been working pretty well. I just passed 1MWh of power generated since installing it in mid-July, and it has definitely contributed pretty significantly to my daily power generation. I am unable to get the app to work with it, so I don't have any statistics logging or anything other than the numbers it displays on its screen. I also still can't get the clock to stay set properly, so it resets the daily statistics at 4pm every day.

Yes, I was already set up with a Tesla grid-tie system on the roof of my house, so this was just supplemental to increase the amount of self-generated power. I know I can over-panel the inverter a bit, so I am considering replacing the 250w panels with something larger to get closer to maxing out the capacity of the inverter, but for now it's doing its job and was fairly cost effective.

pool-solar.jpg

Nice set up. I just saved a bunch of pre used panels as well. Mind sharing how you attached the panels to the 2x4 ? may be picture. Although the MIC 3000TL-X has IP65 outdoor rating, your install has it shaded and somewhat protected under the panel; my application is more opened to the element without an overhang on the south wall where there can be rain splashing. Does it look like it can handle some rain & wind ?

I don't have any close up pictures of the mounts. What I did was to make a drilling template that lined up two panels side by side to make sure the spacing was accurate and the existing mounting holes were aligned. Then I just duplicated it 11 times for the 10 panels. To mount the panels, I ran 2" 1/4-20 carriage bolts up from underneath with a washer and nut on top to hold it down. The supporting 2x4s are screwed down to the cross bars with 3" deck screws rated for pressure treated lumber.

This setup is in Southern California, and we have had less than a quarter inch of rain since I installed them in July, so I can't personally speak to its capabilities in regards to water resistance yet. It seems like it's sealed tightly though, and since they rate it for IP65, it should handle any amount of rain short of hurricane powered storm surge submerging it for a few hours (not likely for me 70 miles inland and 1200ft above sea level). We do get very high winds in this area (Santa Ana winds), but where I have the inverter mounted it will be mostly protected from those and everything is bolted to the wall with some heavy duty Tapcons, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

I like the install simplicity. But am looking to construct a double carport, spanning ~18-ft. I'm in Northern Cal in the Santa Cruz Mtn; and we can get some serious wind/down-pour in the winter.

Does your Tesla grid-tie system have battery ? am wondering if the MIC3000 can be AC-coupled

just finished installing this MIC3KTL-X, so far so good. Had the same issue with clock resetting to GMT. But since am having problem getting the Shine app to work, decided to remove the USB wifi dongle (besides a little concern with Panda's app); and sure enough the clock didn't reset this morning. Give it a try. Or see if the Shine software can set inverter location for the correct time zone.

I also had issues with the WiFi adapter but didn't think to change the clock after I removed it. I'll try that, thanks for the tip!

also on mine, it's 5-quick tap to exit a particular menu, rather than the 5-sec hold per manual. There was also no "country" setting

<one year later> I figured out that the Growatt USB dongle was trying to connect to server.growatt.com, which kept failing because it's in China. I went through a whole rigamarole to get it pointed at server-us.growatt.com and it has been working great ever since.

More details can be found in my post in a different thread.

<one year later> I figured out that the Growatt USB dongle was trying to connect to server.growatt.com, which kept failing because it's in China. I went through a whole rigamarole to get it pointed at server-us.growatt.com and it has been working great ever since.

More details can be found in my post in a different thread.
thanks for the update. What are the advantages of using Shine app ? I'm a bit learing allowing access from who-know-where to my residence.

BTWay, were those "2" 1/4-20 carriage bolts up from underneath with a washer..." panel hold down stainless steel ? galvanized ? am wondering about galvanic corrosionn between different metal. In fact, what about corrosion between the aluminum frame and the treated lumber ? it's pretty dry there in Cucamonga but can be quite damp here in the Santa Cruz mountain

I think the main advantage of the Shine app is that I can actually see my generation stats. Before getting it to work, I basically just saw my total lifetime amount generated, and once it got over 1MWh, the significant digits went away and I had no real insight.

For the mounting on this original build I used hot dipped galvanized carriage bolts, since that's what the almighty Googles told me would be best for pressure treated lumber. So far I haven't seen any kind of corrosion on or around the panels, nor on the treated lumber. We had a very wet 2023 water year, and it seems to have held up well.

I have since built another array and I found a slightly better solution. I stuck with the same basic design for the mounting, but I doubled up the number of nuts so it keeps the panel from physical contacting the lumber at all. I also went up to 2.25" carriage bolts to accommodate the height of the extra nut. (Drawing not to scale)

panelmount.png

what was the motivation to elevate the frame from touching the treated lumber ?

Also, is it possible to change the API server name to server-us.growatt.com without having to run a local DNS server ? if possible, please elaborate. Thanks

Also, is it possible to change the API server name to server-us.growatt.com without having to run a local DNS server ? if possible, please elaborate. Thanks
If you can get connected to the wifi dongle via the built-in access point, you should able to make this configuration change. That's actually the preferred/documented way to make it work in the US. In my case though, while I could connect to the access point, I was never able to actually connect to the webpage for configuration to make that change.

See this post for more details: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/g...-data-this-fixed-it-for-me.24214/#post-368456

Back