diy solar

diy solar

Growatt N-G confusion

MT off grid

I have two growatt 3000tl lvelm-es inverters ran in split phase, both internal N-G bond screws have been removed, I did the bonding in the panel. When both inverters have AC input to use the inverters as battery chargers I get 2.3 amps on the ground at the box, if i take the bonding screw out of the box I get an open ground on my tester. With the N-G bond taken out of the box amd I supply AC in power I then show a N-G which I would guess is because my main house panel is now supplying the ground reference and the growatt is passing it through the inverters. When I have zero wires connected to the growatts I show no N-G bond but when I connect all of the wires, cables etc. I get a N-G bond on the AC in and AC out even when I am not supplying AC power to the AC in. I have tried running them Separate through the panel as single phase and I get zero amps on the ground but as soon as I supply AC in I again show 2.5 amps on the ground, if I only supply AC to one of the inverters I show zero amps on the ground (guessing two inverters on separate phases are supplying a ground to each inverter which os causing the ground to carry current)

I really hope my rambling makes sense, typing as I remember things, any help would be great since signature solar seems to not habe any idea what's going on.

Last edited:
There should only be one N/G bond in the system.
You are getting current on the ground conductor because you have two N/G bonds. (Main panel and sub panel)

I only have one panel, keeping it off grid minus wanting to have AC in for built in battery charger in growatts. Is the AC in making my house panel ground the second ground? If so do I just disconnect the ground AC in on both inverters so that I am nit using the house ground? If so where to I get my earth ground? Or is a separate ground rod the only option?

Do not disconnect any ground. All grounding should be tied to the main service grounding system.

Where is your AC in and AC out connected to?
AC out back feeds a double poll 25 amp breaker, AC in is bring fed with 20 amp extension cords plugged into separate outlets on different phases ( cords are temporary)

AC out back feeds a double poll 25 amp breaker, AC in is bring fed with 20 amp extension cords plugged into separate outlets on different phases ( cords are temporary)
I wouldn't recommend that. But we'll put that aside for now.
The current on the ground conductor is coming from a wiring issue on one or both of the circuits you are plugged into.
Try one at a time to see which circuit has the issue.

I wouldn't recommend that. But we'll put that aside for now.

The current on the ground conductor is coming from a wiring issue on one or both of the circuits you are plugged into.

Try one at a time to see which circuit has the issue.

Issue with the back feed? Why? So if I only have one of the inverters plugged in at a time to AC in i

Back feed is a problem? Why? When I only have one inverter plugged into AC in I habe zero current on the ground but when I plug both in then I get current on the ground

Is this "one" panel, the house grid panel? Or is it a sub panel from the house grid panel?

Totally separate, all offgrid, both inverters back feed the panel through a double poll 25 amp breaker, only grid connection is the AC input from my house

Back