diy solar

diy solar

Growatt single phase parallel setup

schmism

Solar Addict
As part of my build I opted for dual SPF3000TL 48v units. The intent was to parallel them for 6000w single phase 120v output. This would allow plenty of overhead while running my "critical loads" panel. More details of the full system can be found in the link down below.

Units were purchased from watts247.com.

Upon install I initially had issues with the configuration. You'll note that while the units are switched off, but the screen is on (in standby mode) you need to navigate to option 23 and set it to PAL.

I did not have my boot up sequence correct with the load side and the grid side etc. After carefully following the section in the manual
I was greeted with a communication error. (error 80) I disconnected both serial cables and reconnected them. After this both units would communicate . Unit 1 taking maser (HST) and unit 2 assigned slave (SL). However I could not get unit 2 to load share.

Unit 2 would charge the bats off the grid, would connect to the solar and charge, however I could never get it to output any power. Durring the many rounds of troubleshooting I noted that I could not get the unit to power on (from a blank screen - off condition). The unit would only wake up if I turned on the grid supply for it or solar for it.

After talking to watts247 Ian suggested to factory reset both units and power on Unit 2 first, making it the master. It's noted in the manual that it assigns master/slave randomly, in fact it has to do with which unit is turned on first, it sets itself as master.

As noted above, I could not get unit 2 to power on from a blank screen - off condition.

I swapped power switches, and after that failed to work I decided to pull the front off and a take a peek and see if I could find anything obviously wrong.

growatt_loose_plug.jpg

That is the cable that runs up from the power switch. I worked it back into that socket and it did not click into place as is normal for those connectors. It must have come loose in shipping.

After connecting the cable, the unit powered on (for the first time) set itself as master. I powered on the second unit, it auto configured itself as slave, and with the sound of some clicking relays, the units came online and for the first time, were sharing output.

Last edited:
Back