diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SP2000

Sourpuss

Hi All, my Father has an SP2000 + GBLI5001 (+ Sonnenmacht blue/grey inverter). It is showing error 116 & BMS COM Fault. The installer is no longer trading, but my father was able to contact GroWatt, who said (what is says in the manual) to restart the system. I believe he has done this, but after reading the manual it says to disconnect the battery (I tink). Can you confirm to restart, the Wylex breaker is switched off followed by the two Socomec switches? Does any of this disconnect the battery, does it have to be disconnected, I couldn't see how to disconnect the battery without taking off the front panel of the SP2000? When I was last at my Dads, the connecting Ethernet cable (SP2000-battery) seemed OK, disconnecting it did seem to affect how the SP2000 responded to pressing the "reset" button on the side of the battery, as far as I can remember. Any advice please? All the best, S.P.

Attachments

• 1000000432.jpg
    1000000432.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 1000000433.jpg
    1000000433.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1000000434.jpg
    1000000434.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 8
To restart, you should turn off the power switch (if it has one). Then remove all power sources (battery last). By remove, I mean turn off (if that can be done).

the Wylex breaker is switched off followed by the two Socomec switches?
It looks like the 2 round switches turn or the 2 arrays (sound right?). The right double breaker turns off connection to the grid. Turn this off too.

Then disconnect your battery(s).
Wait a couple minutes and reverse the order: connect battery, turn on the grid and solar switches.

Many thanks for the quick replies, will give it a go, still not sure how to disconnect the battery though, is it likely to be a plug?

Many thanks for the quick replies, will give it a go, still not sure how to disconnect the battery though, is it likely to be a plug?
It might have a cutoff switch (best case), might have a fuse or it might be wired directly with the cable bolted on the battery.
Post a pic of battery and wiring if you can.

So after reading your responses, and reading the manuals for the SP2000 & GBLI battery, I think this is the sequence I shall send to my father, he is 88, and the only one I have :) , so blowing him up would not be a good thing!
- Switch off the Solar PV main AC isolator, the Wylex flip switch on the right in the switch panel.
- Switch off the two rotary PV array DC isolators, the left two in the switch panel.
- From reading the manual, the CAN connector with RJ45 connectors (SP2000 to battery) appears to turn the battery on and off automatically, so maybe disconnect this?
- Turn off the SP2000 from the mains wall socket (which supplies the IEC connector in the SP2000).
- Press the power button on the GBLI battery for two seconds, which apparently turns the battery off.
- and wait for all LEDs on the SP2000 to go out.
Then reverse the process to restart, except press the GBLI battery power button once to turn it on.

Does this sound reasonable please?

Reading the SP2000 manual, very difficult due to the difficult/ambiguous translation,
- error 116 says something about "Over current protection triggered by Trip Zone",
- but the GBLI battery states "Protection against level three charge over current." being "1. There is safety risk and user should stop using battery. 2. User should contact installer to repair PCS. ",

So I think the battery is U/S, any thoughts from the experts please?

Many Thanks, SP.

A small update...
I went to see my Dad last weekend, the aim was to reset the SP2000 as above. First impression, going into roof space was "why is there so much water"? It's been very cold here, so we figured it was due to condensation, but so much water, the battery cables were wet, and a small puddle of water on the battery and SP2000 units.
So, first question,: how much condensation are these units supposed to cope with, if any?
I did a reset as above, very warily (I found out now that the battery connection is a plug on the GroWatt battery).
After leaving the unit off for a few minutes, I powered it all up, but now all there is, is the message "Paring time our, scanning..."
So, second question: I can't find any reference to that message, any ideas please?
ATM I have left the whole system off, I don't trust electricity and water, but this is complicated by the fact that my Father is 88 and is worried about losing his, as he says, his circa £200 kickback allowance for providing energy to the grid, and wants the system back on, doh!
Look forward to any advice from you experts, I think the initial issue is the condensation... All the best and hope you all have a great new year...

So, first question,: how much condensation are these units supposed to cope with, if any?
Water and condensation are not the friend of electronics. I'd also be concerned about his attic and the well being of the wood and insulation up there. Is there adequate ventilation or maybe a leak? Is there more water in any one area than others? Or any sign of water stains anywhere on roof or walls or floor?

"Paring time our, scanning..."
Is that "pairing"? If so, it sounds like some kind of wifi or bluetooth communication device. Can you see anything like this?

Again, any pics might be helpful.

Thanks for your reply @MisterSandals . I'm leaving the condensation issue to my father to sort out, he needs to get someone in to see to it. The first photo shows water on the floor in front of the unit (which forms a line along the whole length of the loft space) and on the right side where is has been dripping off of the battery wires!
Yes, there is a WiFi Stick as per your link, and an antenna stuck on the front of the Hagar box, second photo). I took a video with my phone during the start up, I think the "Pairing" is as a result of me attempting to "knock here" at the point of it requesting "No DataReceived. Start Scanning?". I can't seem to upload the mp4, and it has been very cold here, which may also explain the "Bat T Outrange" message. Here is the series of messages as I powered the SP2000 on:

Standby... / Vpv/Vac 232/234V
Bat T Outrange / Ppv :94.7V
Standby... / Ppv: 93.9V
Bat T Outrange / Pcharge: 0.0W
Bat T Outrange / Pdischa: 0.0W
Standby... / Pdischa: 0.0W
Bat T Outrange / Vo_discha: 281V
Standby... / Ed_day: 0.0kWh
Bat T Outrange / Ed_day: 0.0kWh
Standby... / P_Grid: 14.3W
Bat T Outrange / Vb/Cb: 46.0V/ 0%
Standby... / Vpv/Vac: 291/234V
Bat T Outrange / Start Scanning?
No DataReceived / Start Scanning?

Then some faffing atound "knocking" where its says "Knock Here"!.
Standby... / Scanning...
Bat T Outrange / Scanning...

repeats several times
Pairing Time out / Scanning...
then stuck here.

I now figure, in hindsight, I shouldn't have "knocked" once. Knocking twice seemed to do nothing.
So as you mentioned, it's probably trying to pair with another device (laptop?) to run their software.

I leave it for the time being, until the condensation issue is sorted out, many thanks for your help, cheers.

Oh, and photo 3 was the original error...

Attachments

• 20221216_143833.jpg
    20221216_143833.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 1000000434.jpg
    1000000434.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 1000000428.jpg
    1000000428.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 21
So as you mentioned, it's probably trying to pair with another device (laptop?) to run their software.
There is so little that I know about your equipment. I am only guessing on everything.

What is interesting is the BMS com fault. This makes me wonder if it is trying to communicate with your battery by WiFi or whether the RJ45 cable is plugged into the battery?
Do you have any info on the battery?

The battery is a GroWatt GBLI5001. The SP2000 controller connects to it via an Ethernet cable, the WiFi is purely for diagnostics using GroWatt software. To remove the Ethernet cable requires the cover of the SP2000 to be unscrewed (which I have been reluctant to do up till now). I did try powering up the system with the battery end of the Ethernet cable disconnected, to see if it was actually a cable fault, the error messages on the SP2000 were different, so I figured the cable was OK. I can't remember the exact message, but it seemed to infer that the cable is OK and there is some form of communication going on. I'll try a different cable, once the condensation issue is resolved. I have seen other threads here re. communication error, so will look these up too, its also unclear to me whether or not this lead is Ethernet or RS485 (or CAN bus protocol over RS485, which would require a RS485->USB dongle for the laptop?
So, looking at the manual, there are actually two RJ45 connectors labelled LAN/RS485, the left one is for connection to a laptop for monitoring, the right one is for connection to the battery. I'll try another Ethernet cable next time I am down there, checking it is a straight through or whatever cable....
No, that's not quite right, found an online manual... the WiFi is used for monitoring with the PlusBus software, the battery must therefore just be connected to the second LAN/RS485 port. There is a seperate RS232 port as an alternative to the WiFi as well, which requires a DIP switch setting. Confused, yeah, :unsure::whistle:

Last edited:
Also just noticed in the online manual that the units are rated at IP20, 0 meaning no water resistance whatsoever. Ouch.

Sorry to interrupt, does anyone know where I can download a copy of the PlusBus software (plus any other tools I might need) to resurect an old SP1000? Thanks in advance!

Try reading this link

Back