Growatt SPF 3000 TL LVM ES without batteries

Dave (Boog)

Learning something new every day
Hi,
Does anyone on the forum have this inverter? Has anyone tried it without batteries? This is one of the units that when used alone, not in parallel can supposedly work without external batteries.
My question is, without batteries does the unit draw power from the home AC? Can I test it without any batteries and without any Solar input?
Thanks

Last edited:

Dave (Boog)

I just ordered the Growatt SPF 3000 TL LVM ES. So soon I should be able to answer my own question. I’ll post what I find out here.

maroman556

Dave I am very interested in this very inverter. I just discovered it yesterday but I think it will fill my bill. I am interested as well in how it interacts with the grid power. I think it can be made to prioritize PV but supplement with grid without back feeding. Is this you understanding? Please let me know when you get yours. Thank you so much ahead of time.

Dave (Boog)

Hi. Not sure. Mine just arrived yesterday. I haven’t unboxed it yet. But I’m pretty sure that you can charge batteries either from PV or from the grid. I’ll write more about my experience as time goes by.
I bought the 48v version. I was originally going with 24v but changed my mind, and am waiting for 8 more 272ah Lishen cells to arrive from China. I just placed the order this week, so it’ll be sometime in May before they get here.
I also have 24 250 watt solar panels to install. I’m going to start building my ground mount for the panels soon.

maroman556

My questions concern its batteryless operation. Will you be doing any testing without batteries? Thanks again Dave.

FieroGT

I just ordered mine today. I will be using a full Chevy Volt battery pack at a lower 48v 12s config vs 14s

Dr Mark

Solar Enthusiast
I set up my 24V Growatt today. All the videos and the manual says to hook up battery first so I did. I set Growatt to power saving mode (#4) and the inverter would not work. The fan that I tried to power would turn a couple times then nothing. I decided to disable the power saving mode and it worked. I have it hooked up to Evo 24v 120Ah. They have free shipping by freight on a pallet (75 pounds). Only took a week. I could track it too. I thought I should mention the power saving issue. I have not read about it. I may disable it in the future to see what happens. I do not plan on running it all the time.

Dr Mark

Solar Enthusiast
Maybe try a heavier load. Fans tend to not take much.
Yea, I think you are right (fan draws 15 watts). I finally had the courage to plug it to AC and found I got AC power output. Then I disabled power saving mode (which is a default setting). Then inverter kicked in. So when the power saving mode is used, you need a decent load to trigger inverter. I was afraid to put a heavier load with it acting up.

John Schmidt

How does this differ than many other all-in-one units that are available? Can any other all-in-one units NOT do this same thing?! e.g. Victron Easy Solar? Granted, I'd add a battery anyway to take up any surge, much like Will did with the GroWatt.

Dr Mark

Solar Enthusiast
I found that I cannot use the power saving mode with my Growatt. I do not have experience with any other.

John Schmidt

Hi. Not sure. Mine just arrived yesterday. I haven’t unboxed it yet. But I’m pretty sure that you can charge batteries either from PV or from the grid. I’ll write more about my experience as time goes by.
I bought the 48v version. I was originally going with 24v but changed my mind, and am waiting for 8 more 272ah Lishen cells to arrive from China. I just placed the order this week, so it’ll be sometime in May before they get here.
I also have 24 250 watt solar panels to install. I’m going to start building my ground mount for the panels soon.
Hi, Did you order directly from watts247? Thank-you.