diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-24P using a 48v battery?

largo2020

Hi Everyone,

I just started building my first off-grid solar system and I purchased a Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-24P hybrid inverter and a 24v BYD LFP 3.5kwh battery pack. When I connected the battery cables and turned on the inverter it turned on but there was no light on the LCD. When I tried to turn off the inverter it wouldn't shut down. The fans kept running, so I had to turn off the circuit breaker on the battery. When I looked at the specs on the side I noticed that it says Battery input 48vdc. Isn't this model supposed to use a 24v battery?

Attachments

• IMG_0145B.jpg
    IMG_0145B.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 37
Yes, 24P is supposed to be 24V battery. The -48P is 48 volt.
Weird

Maybe the 24 P is supposed to read 48 P, maybe that is what is mislabeled? Maybe that is why it is not working.

the 24 is the only inconsistency.

The MPPT range of 60-115V is more consistent with a 48V system.

Is there a way to test that it is a 48v unit without having to plug in a 48v battery? I don't want to fry the electronics if it uses 24 Volts.

the 24 is the only inconsistency.

The MPPT range of 60-115V is more consistent with a 48V system.
Yes the MPPT range for their 24V system is 30-115 VDC.
Both models 24 & 48 have a maximum array open circuit voltage of 145VDC.

Is there a way to test that it is a 48v unit without having to plug in a 48v battery? I don't want to fry the electronics if it uses 24 Volts.
attach 24 volt battery and look at Programs 12 or 13 see the defaults
1602505431803.png

if it doesn't power up with 24 volts, I guess it is a 48 volt model.

It is powering up and the fans are running but there is nothing on the LCD display and after I turn it on I can't turn off the unit without having to cut the circuit breaker on the battery. I contacted Growatt and gave them the serial number and they said it is a 24v unit and that some of their units had labeling mistakes. Hopefully I will can get the control board replaced, but unfortunately the seller won't cover shipping costs for new board. Thanks for your help!

It is powering up and the fans are running but there is nothing on the LCD display and after I turn it on I can't turn off the unit without having to cut the circuit breaker on the battery. I contacted Growatt and gave them the serial number and they said it is a 24v unit and that some of their units had labeling mistakes. Hopefully I will can get the control board replaced, but unfortunately the seller won't cover shipping costs for new board. Thanks for your help!
Waw did you ever get the new board? did it work. I am also considering the 24v model and I have some concerns on its ability to run full time off grid, long term.

I did get the new board. It arrived in a tattered box about a week after I made the request. Unfortunately I've had the worst of luck with this inverter and it died a couple of days ago. I had it running on average 8-14 hours a day for just over a month. The day it finally died I left it on for almost 24 hours. I wasn't even running heavy loads on it. I had it powering a full size fridge that usually would draw around 150 watts and idle at 10 watts. I made another request for a replacement board and if it doesn't last I will look for another brand of inverters instead.

i'm literally about to order one tonight, but not sure. Seems more like a grid back up for temporary power failure. Not made to run off grid long term. When you decided to buy the Growatt was there any other All in one systems you were considering? Looking for other options

I was initially looking at MPP solar but I think they are are around the same quality. I think that there are other members who have had better success with their Growatt inverters.

Well dangit. I was favoring the growatt since it's 3kw instead of 2.4kw like the mpp. But it'll be for emergency use so reliability is key. Thanks fkr your review, has anything improved since December?

I received the second board and so far it is working without any issues. I've put it through light to moderate loads for a month now 8-12 hours a day to test it out. I would be pretty hesitant to rely on it if it was part of my main source of energy.

Back