diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM and Solar-Assistant.IO

ChrisG

Solar Addict
I downloaded the software and have it configured on my PI4. Was easily able to get the UI/Acccount/WiFI up and running, but still working with support on getting the PI actually connected to the inverter. Tried multiple cables, multiple ports on PI, multiple reloads of base mage to the SD card. This is all I get in the image below. Simply exist status 9. Support is engaged from solar-assistant, but nothing is resolved yet. Wanted to know if anyone had similar experience.
IMG_1961.PNG

@ChrisG - Have you ever communicated with Your Growatt via the Usb port via supplied cable to PV Keeper?

You can download Pv Keeper here and run it off of laptop to see if your able to communicate with Growatt.

Yes, PVKeeper works fine with both the cable that came with it as well as my own cable that came with a printer. Wonder if it's a firmware issue. I'm running 502.06. I think there is a newer version on watts site, 502.08 for the 3000TL LVM. I've never flashed firmware on these so reluctant to try.

If you decide to upgrade firmware, which I have done a few times, make sure the only input to Growatt is Battery with inverter in "off (inverter)"
no ac in/out no other usb cables, and no pv input, just flip off breakers, no need to disconnect wires. They suggest and I used Win7 laptop with supplied Growatt cable to usb port, running ISP setup, follow Ian's video, Joe.

Yes, PVKeeper works fine with both the cable that came with it as well as my own cable that came with a printer. Wonder if it's a firmware issue. I'm running 502.06. I think there is a newer version on watts site, 502.08 for the 3000TL LVM. I've never flashed firmware on these so reluctant to try.
Did you ever setup wifi dongle to server, that's the only thing I can think of that different for mine and @Sparky_SC Growatt.

Did you ever setup wifi dongle to server, that's the only thing I can think of that different for mine and @Sparky_SC Growatt.
So yes, I'm also trying same setup with Shine dongle to growatt servers which is working. So Growatt Server = working, PVKeeper=working, solar-assistant=Not Working. Unsure I'll attempt a firmware update as the inverter itself is working fine. Just strange.

Sorry I dont have an answer ;
but quick question :
Chris, did you have Growatt Shine Wifi to server working at the same as PVkeeper to USB ... working (as in both functioning at the same time)?
Good luck,
RandomPlanet

Sorry I dont have an answer ;
but quick question :
Chris, did you have Growatt Shine Wifi to server working at the same as PVkeeper to USB ... working (as in both functioning at the same time)?
Good luck,
RandomPlanet
yes, I was able to have both working at the same time, just used an USB extension cable for shine device so I could have both plugged in. All that is disconnected now. Solar Assistance is working with an updated version that has yesterday's date on it. Can 't change inverter settings, which is fine. Didn't expect to be able to do that anyway.

Interesting.
I am unable to get Shine-Wifi and SOLAR-ASSIST to run in tandem.....
Shine-Wifi is up and running, until i plug in th USB cable for the SOLAR-ASSIST Pi.

Best of luck in getting your Pi working... I have mine working, and can try my best to help you if you need me to test anything.
Cheers,
RandomPlanet

Interesting.
I am unable to get Shine-Wifi and SOLAR-ASSIST to run in tandem.....
Shine-Wifi is up and running, until i plug in th USB cable for the SOLAR-ASSIST Pi.

Best of luck in getting your Pi working... I have mine working, and can try my best to help you if you need me to test anything.
Cheers,
RandomPlanet
On my spf.6000t.dvm both solar assistant and growatt server work, Joe

I cant get my Pi Running Solar-assistant connected with USB to run along side with the Growatt Server...
I called Signature Solar and a tier 1 tech told me that it was not possible to run both monitors at the same time.
I am stubborn, and am still seeking a solution to do so. :)
RandomPlanet

I cant get my Pi Running Solar-assistant connected with USB to run along side with the Growatt Server...
I called Signature Solar and a tier 1 tech told me that it was not possible to run both monitors at the same time.
RandomPlanet
I know that others have both running like Joe above. I have since disconnected the shine wifi device. It only randomly worked anyway and I was tired of fighting it.

Want to close this item out. Solar Assistant is working great and a big thing you to Pierre at SA. I did try connecting the growatt shine device a few times but same experience where it just disconnects. I'm done messing with it and ONLY using Solar Assistant going forward. I'm thinking of getting the Victron smart shunt now and use a usb to v.e. cable to get more accurate battery information off of the bank.

Highly recommend: https://solar-assistant.io

RandomPlanet
@ChrisG and Random, you need Growatt server to give you you total stats unless your starting new with Solar Assistant from the beginning, ie.. I had 6mwh before adding SA, would not want to lose that, fyi, Growatt stores data since day 1 and can update your firmware OTA. This is (good place to manage Plant and Users) - same login as http://server-us.growatt.com/index
Pic of oss - 1633911697189.png

@ChrisG and Random, you need Growatt server to give you you total stats unless your starting new with Solar Assistant from the beginning, ie.. I had 6mwh before adding SA, would not want to lose that, fyi, Growatt stores data since day 1 and can update your firmware OTA. This is (good place to manage Plant and Users) - same login as http://server-us.growatt.com/index
Pic of oss -
@Joe BoyKey The overall problem is that the Growatt Shine device is not stable which is why Solar Assistant is the way to go. Resetting the adapter every few hours or days grew quite cumbersome. Tried with multiple networks/routers/hotspots. Same issue each time.

@Joe BoyKey The overall problem is that the Growatt Shine device is not stable which is why Solar Assistant is the way to go. Resetting the adapter every few hours or days grew quite cumbersome. Tried with multiple networks/routers/hotspots. Same issue each time.
Ok, things that come to mind:

1. you can connect to you account on the Server.
2. The way my Growatt is installed I can't fit wifi dongle into the bottom of Growatt, so mine is on a 3' usb to usb cradle that
came with a usb wifi network adapter.
3. the cradle is on top of a breaker box next to Inverter, the wall is ac grounded metal plate that may stop some interference.

So my questions are 1, can you log into server? 2. do you have an usb extension cable to get dongle away from equipment?
3. do you have a good ground on your equipment? always trying to help Joe.
1633918673174.png

Last edited:
Ok, things that come to mind:

1. you can connect to you account on the Server.
2. The way my Growatt is installed I can't fit wifi dongle into the bottom of Growatt, so mine is on a 3' usb to usb cradle that
came with a usb wifi network adapter.
3. the cradle is on top of a breaker box next to Inverter, the wall is ac grounded metal plate that may stop some interference.

So my questions are 1, can you log into server? 2. do you have an usb extension cable to get dongle away from equipment?
3. do you have a good ground on your equipment? always trying to help Joe.
View attachment 68383
Yes, I can log into the growatt server and see data when it's reporting which is very insecure by the way, they don't use a SSL cert for https traffic over the net. Yes I have a usb 3ft extension cable (tried with and without the cable for the shine device). Yes, I'm using the US shine server for my config. Yes, equipment is grounded as expected. The device is always blinking blue, even when it's not reporting to the GW server. Seems like others have the same issue with the shine device where it works 'sometimes'. When it's not reporting to growatt servers I need to disconnect/reconnect usb, push reset/hold on device for 6 seconds, push reset one, connect to device via wifi then tell it to restart. It reports to the servers for a random period of time then I need to go through the reset process again.

I do like the ability to set parameters remotely with the Growatt shine solution, but not going to do that very often, if ever. Solar Assistance hasn't failed me yet since Pierre was able to get a version to work with the GWSPF3000's.

Back