diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM or SPF 3000TL LVM-ES

joshuaodell

I've been comparing these 2 inverters, trying to decide on one and I was wondering if anyone else had done the same comparison. From what I can see the differences are mostly in the PV input voltage (150 vs 250). I'm going to be running a very small array <1kw, so I can structure the panels to fit either, and really the smaller voltage would probably work better. But, the -es looks newer, and possibly has more benefits that aren't mentioned on the spec sheet.

SPF 3000TL LVM

SPF 3000TL LVM-ES

It looks like Will has the -es in hand to review, but I need to pull the trigger within the next couple weeks. Any thoughts on which is better at this point. I'll be <1kw panels, and probably 2 of the Gyll 5kwa rack mount batteries. It'll power a small shed with computer, and a very small minisplit (600 watt) run occasionally.

I'd also consider that Renogy, the higher efficiency looks appealing, but people seem so happy with the Growatts that it's hard to ignore.

Renogy 3500

I guess what I really need is Will's comparison to come out sooner then he'll realistically be able to put it together.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

I had actually had preordered the Renogy but had not installed it yet. Will did a video on it yesterday which turned me off on the product. I'm going to be returning it and going with a Growatt. I'm debating between the 2 you have listed. Also considered the MPP. I'm running 6 panels 345w, at 47voc. I was planning on going 3 in series 2 parralel. I was concerned if one of my panels get shaded the voltage would go too low on the ES with a range of 120-250, so maybe the LVM would work better? I don't know many of the other differences on the 2 units.

I have 8 400 watt panels with a 50.4 Voc. I got them cheap, reviews looked good but when it was time for a charge controller... well, forehead thoroughly flattened. This answers my needs for $40 more. Hoping Will's test comes out before I need to buy and have shipped to Nicaragua!

I'm in the same boat here. Can't decide between the LVM or LVM-ES

Will be running 2kW PVs, 2p10s or 4p5s
4.8kW battery (16s)

I don't care for the LVM-ES battery-less option.

The -ES appears to be everything the LVM is and more. More surge capacity, higher capacity MPPT. The battery-less option is just that, an option. It still operates the same as the LVM while using a battery. The LVM is going out of production so if you wait a few months you'll probably buy a closeout cheaper. But the -ES looks to be better in every way. I'll know more in three weeks when my system is installed.

I agree. The only thing that concerns me with the -ES is the 120VDC minimum operating voltage. That's a lot of panels in series for my 2kW array, so more shading problems.

I would choose the newer just for the battery less mode, it can help a lot if your battery its out of service for some reason. Also the user interface of the older ones its kind of outdated, the new screens look great in comparison.

Depending on your panels, the 250V limit could help a lot, for example 4 x 450W would exceed VOC of 150V models, with higher voltage you can save a few bucks on cable gauge and you have fewer loses, also no no need of combiner boxes or MC4 Y's, simple installation.

I still haven't decided. I'm worried about the fan noise at night, with only a fridge running (~30w).

Can anyone attest to the fan noise on those models?

I still haven't decided. I'm worried about the fan noise at night, with only a fridge running (~30w).

At a very low load like that, the fans would be at idle. They are still audible if you are standing next to it. The fans ramp up pretty quickly as load goes up and they are pretty loud.

I have a pair of older (non-ES) models. The fan noise is better than I expected. Fan RPM is under intelligent control based on load and PV charging rate, and much better than the MPP solar 1000W 12V inverter/combo unit I tinkered with about a year ago. I am currently only running 1 of the pair to power a full-size refrigerator, full-size freezer and communication rack - idle load never less than about 90W. It is in the basement directly below my bedroom, and an older home that lacks insulation between floors. I don't hear the fans unless I'm down in the basement, and even then, only when RPM increases for peak sun and/or refrigerator defrost mode.

I kinda wish I waited for the -ES units and their higher max array voltage, but if the minimum array voltage is 120V, then I'm not sure I would have traded low-sun output for cheaper PV wiring.

I have a pair of older (non-ES) models. The fan noise is better than I expected. Fan RPM is under intelligent control based on load and PV charging rate, and much better than the MPP solar 1000W 12V inverter/combo unit I tinkered with about a year ago. I am currently only running 1 of the pair to power a full-size refrigerator, full-size freezer and communication rack - idle load never less than about 90W. It is in the basement directly below my bedroom, and an older home that lacks insulation between floors. I don't hear the fans unless I'm down in the basement, and even then, only when RPM increases for peak sun and/or refrigerator defrost mode.

I kinda wish I waited for the -ES units and their higher max array voltage, but if the minimum array voltage is 120V, then I'm not sure I would have traded low-sun output for cheaper PV wiring.
Low sun output?

Low sun output?
The non-ES model MPPT voltage range specified is 60-115Vdc - basically the PV array must be above battery voltage to harvest solar energy. The new ES model shows 120-250Vdc. I also see "Start-up Voltage = 150Vdc±10Vdc" listed in the specs, though it is unclear if that only applies when operating without battery. I'm in the northeast US, so I would rather have a lower threshold (and less panels in series) to get some energy when sunlight is low.

hmmm 3 panels in series 120 VDC nowadays is common 40volts to 45volt voc on 310watt and above panels so 12 panels in total that's 3600watt or more then max wattage of ES is 4000watt so its the same.......then that's 4 arrays that you can separate for shading issues

I see your point. I didn't do the all the math, as there isn't really a point in me second guessing inverter choice now.

I see your point. I didn't do the all the math, as there isn't really a point in me second guessing inverter choice now.
I am waiting for my ES this Saturday because if the manual is correct it says you can use solar and grid at the same time or priority solar then if solar is off now its gonna use battery I like that option if I read it correctly.....so at pick of the sun its not gonna use battery and use solar only then it will charge....

I finally got the SPF 3000TL LVM-ES about two weeks ago.

The fan on small loads is really not that bad. I'm happy so far.

One problem: After wiring up the batteries and panels, I turned on the unit and everything started to work properly. The batteries came to 100% SOC within a few hours of sunlight. Overnight, I used about 10%-20% of the battery capacity, which is expected. The next day, I was hoping the Growatt would start charging up the batteries automatically when the sun is high enough. I waited until 11am (full sun) but still 0 amps going into the battery. The panels show 180 VOC. So I decide to turn off the Growatt with the little button underneath the unit, wait a few seconds and turn it on again. Then the batteries start charging! What happened? It makes no sense to manually start the charging process.

Any clue?

that happened to me too 1 time and never happened again till now....but now I am having problem with the AC charging of the system everytime I plug it on my AC wall my breaker panel of the house trips so I cant even use my AC charging for this system..already message watt247 first they said change my breaker to 30 and then 40 amps and I did now my main breaker is tripping and its a 200amp breaker hopefully they answer me today...

One problem: After wiring up the batteries and panels, I turned on the unit and everything started to work properly. The batteries came to 100% SOC within a few hours of sunlight. Overnight, I used about 10%-20% of the battery capacity, which is expected. The next day, I was hoping the Growatt would start charging up the batteries automatically when the sun is high enough. I waited until 11am (full sun) but still 0 amps going into the battery. The panels show 180 VOC. So I decide to turn off the Growatt with the little button underneath the unit, wait a few seconds and turn it on again. Then the batteries start charging! What happened? It makes no sense to manually start the charging process.

Any clue?
ow and the app for mobile I think its not working right because everytime I change the values after I close the app and open again its back to default

Any clue?
Ow quick question for you so I am planning to buy 14 or 16 pcs of 250 watt with a 30volt 8amps ill make 2 arrays 7s2p or 8s2p that totals to 3500 to 4000 watt total will this work ? because on the growatt specs it doesn't say anything about the total amps for solar panel hopefully its ok.

Back