diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM

The best I've seen are the Sol-Ark and the Outback products. But they cost more. Otherwise, the only efficient ones I can come up with are DIY systems where you separate the charging and discharging or don't have that "hybrid" capacity. I think it really depends on your use - full off-grid I think you can make MPPT charge controller and inverter connected to your breaker easier than if you want to have some grid charging/discharging capacity. For some, just a simple grid tie inverter with a separate battery connected inverter on a transfer switch for power outage is good enough (basically what Tesla does with its powerwall/gateway with software). I really like the sol-ark, but its expensive.

There are definitely better alternatives to Growatt but the simplicity for a solar idiot like me is enticing. Living in an isolated location reliability is an issue as is the high power consumption. Since my high wattage use is limited to espresso machines, coffee roaster, microwave and washing machine I could do most of that during daylight hours using the Growatt while charging with solar and standby the rest of the time. For everything else in the house something like a Victron Phoenix 48v 1200w with its low power consumption could easily run the rest of the house- computers, lights and TV, inverter fridge, small chest freezer and fans and act as a backup to power those essentials should the Growatt go bad.

I have been watching my system and at those times when I have no other loads running, my Growatts draw 25-40W in standby. That said most 99% of the the time I have some load on the system (modems, router, security camera, etc.) and what matters most when under load is inverter conversion efficiency. (AC out/DC in) . Under typical loads I am seeing 90-92% conversion efficiency. No doubt some inverters are better, but overall for the price I am satisfied.

@Will Prowse I know you said they are identical inside. the Growatt documentation lists the charge controller as having a much greater mppt operating voltage range then the MPP. Is this actually different or is one of the spec sheets just wrong?

For me, about 44w to 49w when not in eco mode.
are you using 'eco mode' to talk about standby mode or power saving mode? can't find eco in the manual? i too would like to know when/if the growatt 3000TL LVM can operate at 2 watts and what it can do? i'd also like to know what is the power use while in standby mode or power saving mode and what i can do? from the manual i've found this

*Standby mode: The inverter is not turned on yet but at this time, the inverter can charge battery without AC output.
*Power saving mode: If enabled, the output of inverter will be off when connected load is pretty low or not detected.

on the spec sheet is where it says Standby Power Consumption is 2 W

also note from the manual: Power saving function will be automatically disabled when in parallel operation.

are you using 'eco mode' to talk about standby mode or power saving mode? can't find eco in the manual? i too would like to know when/if the growatt 3000TL LVM can operate at 2 watts and what it can do? i'd also like to know what is the power use while in standby mode or power saving mode and what i can do? from the manual i've found this

*Standby mode: The inverter is not turned on yet but at this time, the inverter can charge battery without AC output.
*Power saving mode: If enabled, the output of inverter will be off when connected load is pretty low or not detected.

on the spec sheet is where it says Standby Power Consumption is 2 W

also note from the manual: Power saving function will be automatically disabled when in parallel operation.
Look at line #4 Power saving mode enable/disabl

Look at line #4 Power saving mode enable/disabl
thanks and can you verify that when in power saving mode [If enabled, the output of inverter will be off when connected load is pretty low or not detected.] the growatt 3000TL LVM operate at 2 watts and still charges the batteries from solar?

thanks and can you verify that when in power saving mode [If enabled, the output of inverter will be off when connected load is pretty low or not detected.] the growatt 3000TL LVM operate at 2 watts and still charges the batteries from solar?
I can not as I don;t have mine set that way. I just know the setting exists.

Back