diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM

Question about the WiFi dongle for monitoring:
If two of the Growatts are paralleled together for a split-phase 240v setup, would one dongle be able to monitor both units, or would 2 dongles be required?

I want to remotely turn the inverter off at night in my camper. Is there a way to install a remote on/off switch for these hybrid inverter? Thanks, for any information.

Sojourner, I have the exact same question except I'm looking at dual Growatt for 6Kw single phase. As I understand they should load share between the 2 units, so the question is does one Wifi dongle report the whole 6K? Like how is would 5200w of load be reported?

As I understand the only way to get good monitoring data off the units is via the wifi dongle. However internet says you have to register an account and download an app. Does all this work if your off grid, no cell service? Is my system uploading all the load information to some china "cloud" server that then pushes it the data back to the app on the phone? How exactly does this work?

Sojourner, I have the exact same question except I'm looking at dual Growatt for 6Kw single phase. As I understand they should load share between the 2 units, so the question is does one Wifi dongle report the whole 6K? Like how is would 5200w of load be reported?

As I understand the only way to get good monitoring data off the units is via the wifi dongle. However internet says you have to register an account and download an app. Does all this work if your off grid, no cell service? Is my system uploading all the load information to some china "cloud" server that then pushes it the data back to the app on the phone? How exactly does this work?
With no cell service it isn't working at all. I presume there is a way to connect with a micropc and save the data somehow. I Know there is a way to cheaply monitor what goes in and out of the units. But you may wish for more data. IDK

I wrote to Watts247 seller on Ebay and this was his answer

Hello Eric
Wifi dongle is only useful if you want to monitor the performance on your phone. Absolutely not necessary.

BMS. In layman's terms They speak two different languages, and neither has an interpreter..
Growatt has their own BMS system, and their batteries will be released later in the year.

There is really no need for the inverter to communicate with the BMS

Regards
Ian

Ian Roux
Watts247.com / store / manuals / sales
801 403 0336
Utah USA

I wrote to Watts247 seller on Ebay and this was his answer

Hello Eric
Wifi dongle is only useful if you want to monitor the performance on your phone. Absolutely not necessary.

BMS. In layman's terms They speak two different languages, and neither has an interpreter..
Growatt has their own BMS system, and their batteries will be released later in the year.

There is really no need for the inverter to communicate with the BMS

Regards
Ian

Ian Roux
Watts247.com / store / manuals / sales
801 403 0336
Utah USA
Wow very disappointing response at the end. There definitely is a need for Growatt to communicate with the BMS

Also WoW! Thanks Craig for clearing this up. Getting leery about some Ebay stuff.
Not quite off-topic but I just bought a 3 kV BigBattery, this is my second buy. I am getting very frustrated in trying to install a small system on my garage and being confused by the Permits required along with the equipment specifications. My electrician wants me to install a system for $ 15K and Whole sale offered a list that was huge in panels and converter suitable for a whole standard house. What happened to simple?

Question about the WiFi dongle for monitoring:
If two of the Growatts are paralleled together for a split-phase 240v setup, would one dongle be able to monitor both units, or would 2 dongles be required?

I recently purchased 2 Growatt 3000's and had the same question. I asked Ian and he responded that one wifi dongle per inverter is required. My understanding (yet to be verified) is that with wifi dongle (and assuming your wifi router is connected to internet) after setting up an account your inverter will push data from your system to the cloud (Growatt Server) which you can access remotely via the Growatt App anywhere you have internet. Data flow is one way so you can monitor remotely but not adjust settings remotely.

I plan on having an old laptop running the Growatt software (provided) connected to the inverters and setting up a VPN so I can access remotely via the internet to monitor and/or adjust settings.

Curious to know what you mean by exactly the same are they pulling the same amount of energy out of same invert one rating 2400 and other is 3000
Been looking at both for off grid system

SORRY REPLIED TO WRONG COMMENT ?

It is EXACTLY the same as MPP. But the box is nicer, manual easier to read, better support, easier to navigate website etc. Even the parallel communication is identical to the MPP. MPP has horrible customer support unless you buy from USA warehouse (Ian at mpp usa), and they are out of stock frequently.

Curious to know what you mean by exactly the same are they pulling the same amount of energy out of same invert one rating 2400 and other is 3000

They are both made by voltronic. Same interface. Same inverter board design. Same board layout. Same cooling system.

Of course, you have different output ratings and sizes, but MPP and Growatt are manufactured by the same company, so they are very similar. The growatts have a slightly different interface, but same settings etc.

Really not much else to say. I would go with growatt based on the easier to read manual. But up to you guys. If you can find a mpp on sale, go for that instead. Just another relabeled Chinese inverter/charger system made by a single manufacturer. There are many other clones of these systems.

If you want higher quality, do not look at any of these inverters. Spend 3X as much a buy a UL listed inverter instead.

Last edited:
They are both made by voltronic. Some interface. Same inverter board design. Same board layout. Same cooling system.

Of course, you have different output ratings and sizes, but MPP and Growatt are manufactured by the same company, so they are very similar. The growatts have a slightly different interface, but same settings etc.

Really not much else to say. I would go with growatt based on the easier to read manual. But up to you guys. If you can find a mpp on sale, go for that instead. Just another relabeled Chinese inverter/charger system made by a single manufacturer. There are many other clones of these systems.

If you want higher quality, do not look at any of these inverters. Spend 3X as much a buy a UL listed inverter instead.
Thanks for the feedback
at this point I am going for a budget DIY off grid system my intent is to do the growatt 3000 watt inverter 3kw byd in cabinet battery ( haven't decided I am still exploring my options on battery) and 2 325 watt q cells g7
Not sure if that's a well-engineered system or not just going on what I can afford

Bringing this thread back up as it perfectly discusses what I am facing. The Growatt has faster AC charging, based on the specs and comments in this thread. Noticed the Growatt has a surge ability of 2x the maximum output (for the 3kW you can get a surge of 6kW). Nothing is mentioned on the MPP.

Faster AC charging is what really won me over, even after reading this thread. If I have to use a genny to get things back up to 80%, I would like to do it as fast as possible. My genny will do 30A at about 4 kW, so less time running.

No, i do not. Larry, what are the prices of these inverters and what is your budget? If you are shopping in a grey area for product capability or reliability it may actually be the reverse of cost effectiveness.

If you are retired and on a tight budget, you cannot afford to do this twice.

One of my specialties is the budget system, where you give me a budget and i build the best machine available for that budget or tell you up front if it cant be done for that fund level or i can save you money.money.
No, i do not. Larry, what are the prices of these inverters and what is your budget? If you are shopping in a grey area for product capability or reliability it may actually be the reverse of cost effectiveness.

One of my specialties is the budget system, where you give me a budget and i build the best machine available for that budget or tell you up front if it cant be done for that fund level or i can save you money.
Good evening garetjax... I could use some of your help with your budget specialties I'm looking for something to run a 100 to 200 square foot tiny house... It is only needed to run a TV, microwave, refrigerator and air conditioner 8000 BTUs obviously not all of four will be going at once but I'm sure the TV mini fridge and the air conditioner will be running together most of the time but it's not hard to turn off the air conditioner or a TV just a microwave a small meal so I was hoping you could work your magic on two different models one that will run everything and one that will run all for butt not at once

One of my specialties is the budget system, where you give me a budget and i build the best machine available for that budget or tell you up front if it cant be done for that fund level or i can save you money.
The price of the 20,000 watt inverter / 110v to 220v DC 12v or DC 24v. It says it a only needs the panels it has modem inside that shows charge time and solar in put and out put.. It says irmts a complete system others that 12 or 24 volt battery and the 4 100 panels.. It's says all you really need it a good lithium battery and you can run a full.size cabin and for $110 that's $80 for the panels and $50 to $60 for the inverter, power cell included a fan for over heating so I'm curious has anyone bought one off wish..it sounds way to good to be true..it would normally be a $500 inverter not to mention the other items..the solar storage for panels and batteries to run to..they say that all you need and you'll get 5000 steady supply with bursts of 10 to 20 thousand
.please someone give us your 2 cents

Back