diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 5000 ES - Parallel of 2 units - Firmware mismatch causing 0V output voltage?

Raenier

I recently installed a second Growatt SPF 5000 ES inverter to my system. After starting up the system my inverters for some reason doesn't want to close the last contact to supply voltage to the load.

I have perfect comms with the battery, solar panels and grid input. All settings between the 2 inverters are identical except the time settings.

These inverters work perfectly when I revert their setup to single configuration so I know i don't have any blown rectifiers, IGBT's, etc.

After some investigation on this forum I believe this might be a firmware (FW) issue. Problem is, my older inverter can only flash FW 040 versions, while my new unit contains the upgraded chip boards with FW versions 067. I can't flash the inverters with exactly the same FW versions because my old inverter is bricked with FW 067 and visa versa when I flash my new inverter with 040 FW.

What versions of the FW do I need on each of the inverters in order for it to work and close the output? Or is this not a FW issue at all for the paralleled inverters not to close the output to supply the load?

I feel like I'm the only one that has ever experienced this, I haven't seen any other posts with the same issue.

I have the same problem but my new inverter is my third unit in parallel. I specifically asked SignatureSolar to about any firmware conflicts before I bought the unit. I think I will be sending it back. I have heard nothing back from SS or Growatt about this firmware issue.

I had the same problem. First 2 inverters are working fine, third one would not work with the first two. Turns out the programs are different and non compatible. CATCH 22, SS will not help with reprograming and to see GW for update, GW says if the inverters was purchased from SS see them for update. It seems SS and GW are at odds and neither will help. This leaves us in the middle holding the bag.
I came up with my own solution. I rewired my house to work with what I had. I wired all 240v circuits in 1 sub panel and fed with 2 inverters in parallel.
I installed a second sub panel and wired it with120v circuits using the third inverter.
Seems every thing is working very well. The batteries are charging faster allowing the solar to supply full power to the house.
Surprise side effect, my led lights no longer flicker. I don't have my range or clothes' dryer on the solar system yet. Average line draw has been 3kw a day

Back