diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 5000 ES software upgrade

Jim Lee

Has anyone had success (or failures) updating the firmware version on a Growatt SPF 5000 ES (US model from Signature Solar). I have 4 - 5k Inverters ,they have been working for about 2 months now. They are supposed to start up when PV power is turned on to them. At first 3 of my 4 inverters would start up with PV power, but 1 inverter would not start up with PV power. All worked ok after the inverters were turned on so I've been running them that way, however, recently I've noticed that 3 of the 4 inverters now wont start up with PV power, but work fine if the one that does start up with PV power is set as the Host. SS is saying I need to update the Firmware on the inverters. My current versions are CPU1= 040 05 7.01 and CPU2 = 041 05 7.01 on each of the 4 inverters. I've seen the video put out by SS. they make it look simple to do, but I've heard horror stories on line about updating. I'll be doing the upgrade soon (I had to buy a laptop first and get it ready)I would love to hear if anyone has been successful and does the up date get corrupt and have to be reloaded often?

Attachments

• 20220517_163012.jpg
    20220517_163012.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220311_191829.jpg
    20220311_191829.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 52
Ckeck if you have the new or old comm board before you do the update.
The old uses the siliconlabs driver, the new uses a XR21V1410 driver.

Dont mess with the new one..
But as you have the 04 fw on, it should be the old comm board.
4E6B4E72-44F9-43F3-99C9-67AA73061E2A.jpeg

Ckeck if you have the new or old comm board before you do the update.
The old uses the siliconlabs driver, the new uses a XR21V1410 driver.

Dont mess with the new one..
But as you have the 04 fw on, it should be the old comm board.
View attachment 102023
Thanks for the info on the new vs. old comm boards. I have two 5000 ES inverters with the 'old' comm board and recently purchased and added a third 5000 ES with the 'new' comm board. My first observation was that my RP SolarAssist had a lot of issues recognising the new comm board USB connection. After changing the USB hub, it looks OK now. However, the firmware versions are looking clearly different in terms of numbering and the common measures like 'Battery Voltage' varies clearly from the older ones. With all three inverters feeding into the same battery 'combiner' with almost the same length of cable from the inverter to the 'combiner' there should be no or little difference. I would like to 'harmonise' at least the two old inverter firmware and see if they are then showing the same voltages etc. however, wonder if it is all worth the effort and potential risk of frying one inverter.

Reactions: Rho
If those are old and new comm boards, what's mine? new-new, "old"+"new" combined?

Attachments

• IMG_20211229_184052.jpg
    IMG_20211229_184052.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 53
I had 40 05.
Now I have 41 06 january 2022.

I may be a problem with the new firmware.
My inverter does not power on with grid only.(not sure if it is the fw or something else but can check if I have the 40 05 fw to upload)
So, without battery, the inverter is dead.
I discovered this few weeks ago.

This may help you go back? I have 40.06 but have not tried to start without battery ?

Attachments

• ISP for BP 5KW Inverter with 450v mppt.rar
    15.1 MB · Views: 104
I had 40 05.

My inverter does not power on with grid only.(not sure if it is the fw or something else but can check if I have the 40 05 fw to upload)
Before you go do all this, did you push the up/down together and do the reset?

I had 40 05.

Well thought I had better go check mine and yes it does start without battery 40.06 year 2022

I did not performed the reset at all.
I changed the firmware 3 times without any reset.
There is not documented what does that reset.
Do I have to configure the inverter from scratch (all parameters)?

That may just be the problem, and yes you will have to do the setup again, no big deal as you do not have the battery to do, push the up/down its going to ask for a password "305"enter and enter again 2 or some people say 3 times and the unit will restart.

If you still having issues : When the inverter is restarted, press button UP+DOWN buttons together and input password 305 to reset
the inverter parameters. After you input the password 305, you will enter the setting option
34, press enter twice, the system will execute reset operation for several seconds, then you
can use the inverter , hope this helps, I have also sent the PDF file that came with earlier updates

Attachments

• Update SOP for SBC5000_20200115.pdf
    305 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I didn't say I do not have battery.
I have 3x pylontech us3000.

So in case of reset, I have to reconfigure at least 5 patameters for the battery (type, protocol shutdown limit, b2ac, ac2b) + charging source prio, AC charging current, set the clock, opperation mode, ACinput type.

(Being sarcastic now)
Anyway it is ok I do not have to configure the datalogger again.

So in case of reset, I have to reconfigure at least 5 patameters for the battery (type, protocol shutdown limit, b2ac, ac2b) + charging source prio, AC charging current, set the clock, opperation mode, ACinput type.

(Being sarcastic now)
No, not the data logger , and pylontech is easy, LI protocol L52 on CAN and then the other small items, I was wondering how you did the firmware without a battery, I have before but loaned one for an hour or two at the time. ;)

Last edited:

(Being sarcastic now)
So what's the deal here? working or not?

Back