diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 5000ES firmware update

04 warning means low battery. When battery voltage is lower than 44V, it will report this warning.
20 warning means BMS communication error.

Here the problem, your battery voltage is too low until it shut off the BMS in Pylontech which results in BMS communication error.

Due to how growatt programs the charging mechanism of BMS+LI communication more, the actual SOC will drift off as time passes.
I am amazed that your pylontech actually able to run for almost 2 years before shitty Growatt 95%-100% charging mechanism causes your pylontech SOC to be out of whack.

To solve it, you will need to top re-balance your pylontech...........individually if possible.
Pylontech is mostly using 15 cells, therefore use USE mode, set CV and CF at 51.75v (3.45v each) and hold it there for the balancer to work its magic? But there is only passive balancer in pylontech........if you know how to retrieve the cell voltage from the pylontech via canbus, it will be easier for you.

Good luck in top re-balancing all your battery pack.
Thanks for the response!

Please note that this is on 4x brand new (2 months old) Pylontech batteries... I never had this issue on the old batteries.

It also occurs mostly when the batteries are >80% charged (most times when I was around it happened at exactly 90%). Will it still be required to re-balance the new batteries? It mostly flashed Error 20, but I did see error 4 once (although the batteries were far from being discharged).

Thanks for the response!

Please note that this is on 4x brand new (2 months old) Pylontech batteries... I never had this issue on the old batteries.

It also occurs mostly when the batteries are >80% charged (most times when I was around it happened at exactly 90%). Will it still be required to re-balance the new batteries? It mostly flashed Error 20, but I did see error 4 once (although the batteries were far from being discharged).
Yup, just charge each individual pack to full 100% first before re-assembling them back into one again.

Aside from individual pack balancing, the main problem is cell balancing on each cell inside an individual pack.
As far as I know, Pylontech only has passive balancing for its battery BMS. Not sure how long it gonna take for the cell to be top balanced. The passive balancer only burns 50mA or 100mA on high cells.

Use the Pylontech with LI 52 value in the Growatt settings and the BMS of the pylontech is taking control of your chargings if the packs are properly wired. never had any issues with mine, but as explained before if the voltage drops due to high loads the packs might go to an error state.

HI all,
Today I started to update my 5KES and ran into problems early. The process starts and beeps like i see in the videos, the 1st green bar gets across and then starts the process but within 1 min. its says "flash timed out" and a non stop alarm from the Growatt. I have tried multi times and tried reloading the usb drives, nothing has changed. Not sure why it keep having a flash time out?

I am using a intel MAC laptop but on the windows Bootcamp, the original cable that came with inverter but have tried another too with same result. I am running the program as a Admin. too.
My original version was 067-01-104 / 068-01-104
but now currently the box reads like this. 008-00-316 /068-01-104

Update, from reading this entire post and finding tidbits in others here is what i did after a few hours away from this. First off the inverter is up and running on 67-03-630 /068-03-630 after 1st NEW attempt.

-Discounted my WiFi dongle so the usb connection won’t not conflict
-Plugged in UBS cable to invertor and laptop.
-Got ISP program open as administrator got file loaded and ready to go
-Turned on Battery
-Started ISP program
-Turned on Inverter and the ISP Program fell into install

I think the main thing is to disconnect the UBS dongle so they don't conflict because I had no Flash Time outs with either file this way.

Hope this helps

Back