diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 5000ES PV Input - 18A vs 22A - What changed?

Struc

Collecting Parts!
So, for the longest time, the Growatt SPF5000ES had a maximum input from the solar array of 18A, up to 450v OCV.

Now all of the sudden in the latest v4.0 manual, it says 22A maximum input.

Is this just for the newest models that are just now out, or are all models getting some sort of software update to take advantage of the 22A Input?

I have 2 of them waiting for implementation that I would really like to know what my max input is, since it determines a LOT about the solar panels I will buy.

Thanks for any intormation!

Curt

So, for the longest time, the Growatt SPF5000ES had a maximum input from the solar array of 18A, up to 450v OCV.

Is this just for the newest models that are just now out, or are all models getting some sort of software update to take advantage of the 22A Input?
I would definitely check with Growatt on that. They recently did a hardware change on the Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM that made significant changes to how to use it, but they still call it SPF 3000TL LVM (See this thread). Consequently, there is a good chance the 22A only comes into play on the newer boxes.

If there was a hardware, change, the next problem will be figuring out how to tell if you have old or new hardware. We are still trying to figure out how to determine old or new HW on the SPF 3000TL LVM

so far all we have received is stickered at 18A
It is important to notice that 18A is all the inverter will PULL from the panels, this means that 2x 10A strings are acceptable per growatt, heck, you could put 40A it would clip 50% at peak hours though.
Dont go over voltage on the MPPT but Over amperage is fine, the MPPT bosses the panels, not the other way around

It is important to notice that 18A is all the inverter will PULL from the panels, this means that 2x 10A strings are acceptable per growatt, heck, you could put 40A it would clip 50% at peak hours though.
Dont go over voltage on the MPPT but Over amperage is fine, the MPPT bosses the panels, not the other way around

@SignatureSolarUS
I'd appreciate, if you have contacts there, to at least ask the question and see what is going on.

I do really appreciate the info about the amperage, and being able to go over on amps. I was hoping it wasn't a hard limit, and your explanation is very helpful.

Thank you!

I have contacted Growatt support about the 18A and they insist it is a hard limit. Will SignitureSolar honor the warranty if the system is set up with an array that has an aggregate Isc of greater than 18A?

Guys, I have checked this before and break the 18A rule myself on my home, but here it is: fully supported, we will 100% honor the warranty either way.
View attachment 73910
Let's start here, obviously you sold him the Growatts. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/v...l-specs-of-the-whole-system.11532/post-395140

Are you changing your stance and now suggesting to add secondary SCC's for the excessive watts as the post after that one indicates you now recommend adding more SCC's?

It looks like the issue on that thread you noted was the voltage, as it was one of the Growatt 12k units with 150v PV input. To be fair, I did not read the whole thread, as that unit has nothing in common with my Growatt SPF5000ES. It was noted above to not exceed the open circuit voltage.

It looks like the issue on that thread you noted was the voltage, as it was one of the Growatt 12k units with 150v PV input. To be fair, I did not read the whole thread, as that unit has nothing in common with my Growatt SPF5000ES. It was noted above to not exceed the open circuit voltage.
Incorrect. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/v...l-specs-of-the-whole-system.11532/post-395760

I followed his build the whole way. If you look at Growatt's response, you can see VMP was 102V which they stated was fine. https://postimg.cc/2LzBTpM2

I have 2 of them waiting for implementation that I would really like to know what my max input is, since it determines a LOT about the solar panels I will buy.

Thanks for any intormation!

Curt
how do I find a copy of this "v4" manual?

thx

Oh, thanks, I now see it in the Manual (pg 38). I was looking at the Datasheet. Perhaps this has to do with Firmware versions? I will call Growatt Tech Support now.

Growatt's Site

The response I got from Tech Support was this:

May I please have your DC side panel model and how many strings do you have? Thanks.

This to me means there is a new version of the SPF5000ES which must have 2 PV inputs (the previous SPF5000ES has only 1 PV input). I'm still waiting for a response as to whether a firmware update will upgrade the old 1 PV input version.

May I please have your DC side panel model and how many strings do you have? Thanks.

This to me means there is a new version of the SPF5000ES which must have 2 PV inputs (the previous SPF5000ES has only 1 PV input). I'm still waiting for a response as to whether a firmware update will upgrade the old 1 PV input version.
It seems insane to me to make fundamental changes to the product and keep the same model number. Even if their documentation was clear about the differences (which it isn't), it just begging for confusion and problems. Sadly, Growatt has a history of this. They made fundamental changes to the Grounding scheme on the 3K models and left the model numbers the same.

I don't think that they made a new model with 2 PV inputs. They just simply made some sort of other change that allowed the SPF5000 to accept up to 22A input. Once again, they didn't notify anyone, or make any kind of model version change or in any other way have told us how to identify this new unit. Growatt needs to Grow-UP and start taking product changes seriously.

I have Growatt SPF 5000 ES with 18 amp labelled on it. Is it safe to use it with 6 Risen 540 PV panels in series that have 18,18 ISC(A)? And are those panels provide enough voltage to power the invertor MPPT? They have only 29 Vmppt(v) at NMOT (800 watt/m2).

Attachments

• 20220601_162701.jpg
    20220601_162701.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 32
I have Growatt SPF 5000 ES with 18 amp labelled on it. Is it safe to use it with 6 Risen 540 PV panels in series that have 18,18 ISC(A)? And are those panels provide enough voltage to power the invertor MPPT? They have only 29 Vmppt(v) at NMOT (800 watt/m2).
You look at the open circuit voltage for adding up a series string going into a charge controller. So you are well within the 450v max input of what the Growatt can handle, and well above the minimum voltage to start using the power.

The Growatt can be over on Amps - really any unit can. It will only draw as many amps as it can use.

The Growatt can be over on Amps - really any unit can. It will only draw as many amps as it can use.
This is mostly true and there are a lot of people out there with over-paneled Growatts. Unfortunately, the Growatt documentation puts hard limits on the max PV power. When I contacted them about it they said it was a hard limit. Consequently, going above the limit puts you in a situation where it seemingly works but is unsupported.

Back