diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 5000ES Vs Growatt SPF 5000 HVM-WPV

Thingol

I am in the process of shopping for an off-grid inverter and was just wondering, what is the difference between the Growatt SPF 5000ES and the Growatt SPF 5000 HVM-WPV counterpart? I see the two are from different series and the datasheets' first page would appear to suggest that the ES line has more features. Is that indeed the case? Which one of the two inverters/inverter lines is more recent?

Crazy! I've been researching for over an hour to try to answer this question, for myself and for you! The only difference that I was able to find is that the owner's manual for the TL is one month newer that the ES. The specs look the same. Weight and dimensions are the same. Maybe just the exterior is different? I didn't look at the connections/ports, but should have. Maybe they are the same?

Crazy! I've been researching for over an hour to try to answer this question, for myself and for you! The only difference that I was able to find is that the owner's manual for the TL is one month newer that the ES. The specs look the same. Weight and dimensions are the same. Maybe just the exterior is different? I didn't look at the connections/ports, but should have. Maybe they are the same?
I think the ES model is the later one, and that the differences are on the first page of the full PDF datasheets at the bottom of each inverter page. For example, with the ES it is possible to scheduler charging and discharging time slots-could be very useful :cool:

I am in the process of shopping for an off-grid inverter and was just wondering, what is the difference between the Growatt SPF 5000ES and the Growatt SPF 5000 HVM-WPV counterpart? I see the two are from different series and the datasheets' first page would appear to suggest that the ES line has more features. Is that indeed the case? Which one of the two inverters/inverter lines is more recent?
Hi, I have been looking at these inverters as well, and what has made me decide for the ES series is that you can run it without having any batteries if you want to.
The other inverter always needs to be connected to a battery bank, from what I understood.

Hi, I have been looking at these inverters as well, and what has made me decide for the ES series is that you can run it without having any batteries if you want to.
The other inverter always needs to be connected to a battery bank, from what I understood.
I have the 5000ES model and have had in in use for a couple months now. Although they claim it will work without batteries, the performance would be horrible. The problem is the sun intensity varies minute to minute as clouds pass, one minute the inverter can be outputting 4KW and seconds later only 500-600 watts. Without a battery bank of some sort there is nothing to "fill in" during those short periods of low output and depending on your loads, the inverter would fault out. I have 340ah of 48V battery bank and it works very well. It would be pretty useless without a battery bank of some sort, even a real small one.

I have the 5000ES model and have had in in use for a couple months now. Although they claim it will work without batteries, the performance would be horrible. The problem is the sun intensity varies minute to minute as clouds pass, one minute the inverter can be outputting 4KW and seconds later only 500-600 watts. Without a battery bank of some sort there is nothing to "fill in" during those short periods of low output and depending on your loads, the inverter would fault out. I have 340ah of 48V battery bank and it works very well. It would be pretty useless without a battery bank of some sort, even a real small one.
I understand, - but this is not the inverters fault. So, yours is running perfectly huh? How is the noise?

Thank you for sharing your experience so far.
In hindsight, do you think it was worth the extra money getting the ES model, or do you think the HVM would have been good enought?

I understand, - but this is not the inverters fault. So, yours is running perfectly huh? How is the noise?
Its loud when the fans spool up. Mine is in a shop room in my pole barn, not in the house so noise isn't something that matters to me. Its a lot of power in a small package so cooling is important.

I read in the manual that we can set up sub priority (Program 01), by doing so shouldn't the utility grid "fill in" during periods when solar energy isn't enough to power the loads?

I'm waiting for batterys but had everything else ready so I hooked it all up. I love it so far. I'm grid assist as it were and have the auto transformer for my 120/240 sub panel with most 24/7 current draws ( lights, computers , refrigerater ) and still seeing $80 to 100 bucks the last 2 months in savings over last yrs bills. Now its not apples to apples comparison i know, but most days so far i can see hrs of solar dominance with minimal grid assist. Used 250 panels for 5.5k total and massive savings, and my hope is when I get my lishen 272's that I'll see another $20-$50 in savings a month ( hope :) )

I have just bought the SPF 3500 ES model, but am still relatively new to solar, but am trying to do it myself.
I only have 335W - 37,8V - 9,3A panels.
As the distance between my panels and Inverter is about 100 feet, I wanted to put as many panels as possible in series to keeps the Amps down.
Could someone please help me and advise me how many panels would be the maximum? The Vdc working range of the inverter is between 120 and 430.
I was thinking 10 panels as they sometime go to 42V in the summer, but would love confirmation from more knowledgeable people.
Thank you in advance.

I went 11s2p but mine were like 30.? volts each , seems like 9, 10, 11 max gets you under 430 volts total. I think I had to be below 18 amps as well, hence 2 parallel strings.

I went 11s2p but mine were like 30.? volts each , seems like 9, 10, 11 max gets you under 430 volts total. I think I had to be below 18 amps as well, hence 2 parallel strings.
Thank you for you reply.
It’s nice to get confirmation that I’m starting to understand this solar business a little. I’m a newby and need to figure everything out by myself. There are no solar shops near where I live unfortunately.

Hi again,
I decided to go for 10 panels, just to keep a safe margin. I have started installing the system, and have connected everything but the batteries. I think I have managed to install all the corect circuit breakers and fuses, except for the batteries.
I have 8 batteries, 4s2p of 115 Amp each to make 48V.
If anyone could give some advise which fuse and circuit breaker to use together with the SPF 3500 ES model, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

Not sure if you already built your system @Julian-Indaiatuba.

Advice valid for anyone else.
Pay attention to the total Voc of the string panel.
In the worse conditions (summer, high temperatures) you need to have the lowest Voc > low limit voltage of the MPPT (the smallest number of PV in series)
In the best conditions (winter, low temperatures) you need to have the highest VoC < high limit of the MPPT (the max number of PV in series)

There are calculations for these voltages and there are websites which assists you in this calculus
https://solardesignguide.com/calculating-string-size/

Aproximative calculus for Voc, don't believe what I say, do your calculations:
your panel 37,8V 25degC
at 59degC --- ~31V
at -15degC --- ~41,7V
so a string of 10p will be ~417V quite close to the upper limit.
It is true the higher voltage brings lower current and thinner wires BUT,
DC/DC conversion efficiency gets lower together with voltage difference increase between input and output of the DC converter (MPPT in this case).
400V -> 56V (max battery voltage) efficiency is lower than 240V -> 56V and more power will be dissipated on the first one.

You can still make some adjustments because you have 4500W PV power available on the SPF3500 datasheet. The Current will be no problem since it admits 80A and 2 strings will provide 20A.
4500W/335W = 13 panels total
you can do 6s2p and have: 4kwp, max 250V per string, possibility to buy half panel now and do upgrade later when other money comes.

I think the ES model is the later one, and that the differences are on the first page of the full PDF datasheets at the bottom of each inverter page. For example, with the ES it is possible to scheduler charging and discharging time slots-could be very useful :cool:
program 49 (user manual) says Utility Charging time slot.
program 14 sets charger priority (CGPr CSO/SNU/OSO)
program 21 give info that when battery is v.low, it will be charged from utility (matter not really clear)

Last edited:
the 5000es handles up to 18 amps and 450 volts
6000w total pv input

Last edited:
they are 220 output and im using a mini transformer to get 2 120 legs, perhaps some of the confusion might be entwined in that.

Not sure if you already built your system @Julian-Indaiatuba.

Advice valid for anyone else.
Pay attention to the total Voc of the string panel.
In the worse conditions (summer, high temperatures) you need to have the lowest Voc > low limit voltage of the MPPT (the smallest number of PV in series)
In the best conditions (winter, low temperatures) you need to have the highest VoC < high limit of the MPPT (the max number of PV in series)

There are calculations for these voltages and there are websites which assists you in this calculus
https://solardesignguide.com/calculating-string-size/

Aproximative calculus for Voc, don't believe what I say, do your calculations:
your panel 37,8V 25degC
at 59degC --- ~31V
at -15degC --- ~41,7V
so a string of 10p will be ~417V quite close to the upper limit.
It is true the higher voltage brings lower current and thinner wires BUT,
DC/DC conversion efficiency gets lower together with voltage difference increase between input and output of the DC converter (MPPT in this case).
400V -> 56V (max battery voltage) efficiency is lower than 240V -> 56V and more power will be dissipated on the first one.

You can still make some adjustments because you have 4500W PV power available on the SPF3500 datasheet. The Current will be no problem since it admits 80A and 2 strings will provide 20A.
4500W/335W = 13 panels total
you can do 6s2p and have: 4kwp, max 250V per string, possibility to buy half panel now and do upgrade later when other money comes.

program 49 (user manual) says Utility Charging time slot.
program 14 sets charger priority (CGPr CSO/SNU/OSO)
program 21 give info that when battery is v.low, it will be charged from utility (matter not really clear)
Thank you so much for your extensive reply.

It definitely has cleared a few things up for me. I have installed one string of 10 panels for now, but not connected it yet until I have calculated which fuses and switches I need to use. This is complicated for me, and I want to be sure I get it right.

I wil probably buy two more panels really soon and do what you suggested, 6s2p. The only problem with this is that I will probably have to buy new wire to deal with the extra amprage, as my charge controller is about 25 meters from my panels.
As I live exactly on the Tropic of Capricorn in Brazil, I don’t think I wil have problems with the Voc being to high, as the temperatures rarely go below 25 Celsius, I have never seen the panels go above 39 Celsius in the last year.
Where I live is perfect for solar energy I think, but unfortunately it isn’t being implemented much at all, and sellers and knowledgeable people are very scarce.
Do you know of any sites where I can calculate my fuse necessities?
Thanks again!

I remember I read these days many things about solar system calculations.

I cannot say where I found this or if it is correct but the rule of thumb for the fuses is 1.2 x nominal current for the string.
The fuses should be rated for 600Vdc.
Read more on https://sinovoltaics.com/learning-center/system-design/fuses-in-pv-systems/
or search for "choosing fuses for pv array/panel"

Last edited:
Back