diy solar

diy solar

Growatt spf Not Seeing PV In The Morning

xxxx

So you think this is just the battery settling? Will the eg4 software show its bms balancing the cells? Wonder if the laptop can be connected with the eg4 batteries while the Growatt remains active and connected?
I am pretty sure the software will show you the Balancing in action.
I only have this issue if I have two days in a row of bad weather and the Battery does not charge up to 100%. Once that happens the cells start to drift apart and when the next good PV day arrives it spends a good 2 extra hours trying to rebalance the battery.

I am pretty sure the software will show you the Balancing in action.
I only have this issue if I have two days in a row of bad weather and the Battery does not charge up to 100%. Once that happens the cells start to drift apart and when the next good PV day arrives it spends a good 2 extra hours trying to rebalance the battery.
But will the laptop connect with the batteries while the batteries are connected with the Growatt?

I'm certainly no expert but i assume one could be forgiven for not noticing a problem with charging to 58v when the spec sheet says 58v, at least until the forum educated me/us on the nuance/between the lines as to why we should charge to something lower?

It looks to me like the bms is either seeing the 60v cutoff and there is a voltage discrepancy somewhere, or one of the cells is hitting the 3.9v cutoff, and waiting until the bms balancing drops whichever back below the reconnect voltage, and then reconnects and accepts more charge? I mean, if the BMS is asking the Growatt for the same numbers written on the spec sheet, it's getting exactly what it asked for in the graph Kornbread shows.
You can be excused for not knowing that Growatt and Signature Solar are complete untrustworthy when it comes to documentation.
Even after 6 Months they still have documentation like the above one that says their batteries can be discharged at 100Amps while another set of Documents say 30Amps. In the real world go beyond 30 Amps and it will most likely Trip.

Notice also on the above cutout it say Charging Voltage Recommended 58V but then Underneath it says Recommended Bulk Charging 57V ???? WTF.
Anyway do what you want but as you can see from the LiFePo4 Charging chart once you go above 54.5V you are pretty much going right up against the Knee and shortening the life of the cell.

ChargeTable.jpg

Documentation ... um, yeah, that's a whole nuther can of worms.

Settings for the eg4 LiFePower4, I see everyone has their own special charge settings.

Documentation ... um, yeah, that's a whole nuther can of worms.

Settings for the eg4 LiFePower4, I see everyone has their own special charge settings.
If you can lower it, please lower it to 54.6V
Your going to find that the extra 1% your chasing after will last for about 1 minute even when a minor load is put on the battery.

Charge Curve.jpg

EG4 spec sheet

View attachment 104141
I'm certainly no expert but i assume one could be forgiven for not noticing a problem with charging to 58v when the spec sheet says 58v, at least until the forum educated me/us on the nuance/between the lines as to why we should charge to something lower?

It looks to me like the bms is either seeing the 60v cutoff and there is a voltage discrepancy somewhere, or one of the cells is hitting the 3.9v cutoff, and waiting until the bms balancing drops whichever back below the reconnect voltage, and then reconnects and accepts more charge? I mean, if the BMS is asking the Growatt for the same numbers written on the spec sheet, it's getting exactly what it asked for in the graph Kornbread shows.
That chart is contradictory.

I'd say the BMS should have stopped charging at 58V. Either the battery has something wrong with it or Sig Solar isn't programming this correctly. The BMS should control charging as it would report cell voltage and pack voltage.

That would be nice to know. This graph is with the unadulterated 'factory' settings when using communication between eg4 LiFePower4 batteries and a Growatt spfxxxxt aio. When communicating, which one is the master? Were these settings not agreed upon between the manufacturers as there had to be some cross-pollination for them to create, and then advertise this as a feature?

At what range does cell balancing occur with the LiFePower4?

At this point I'd start using my own settings and forget about comm between the GW and EG4.

As long as the Growatt and eg4 are talking, charge parameters are not adjustable. To change charge settings, communication between the two needs severed and USE, or US2, battery type settings used. Those parameters are adjustable. IIRC, one of those battery type charge profiles, regardless of settings, is more reliable than the other. One step forward and all ...

And yeah, I'm considering setting different charge parameters.

The chart I posted #15 is zoomed in and those peaks are generally around 15 minutes, could this just be the inverter lagging in response, or is it really trying to shove in the last couple watts?

But how does all this translate to the mppt not seeing the morning's frist pv input and starting up? The mornings generally start with ~70% charge in the batteries.

As long as the Growatt and eg4 are talking, charge parameters are not adjustable. To change charge settings, communication between the two needs severed and USE, or US2, battery type settings used. Those parameters are adjustable. IIRC, one of those battery type charge profiles, regardless of settings, is more reliable than the other. One step forward and all ...
I would remove the Closed loop as the settings the battery is sending the Inverter are just too high.

And yeah, I'm considering setting different charge parameters.

The chart I posted #15 is zoomed in and those peaks are generally around 15 minutes, could this just be the inverter lagging in response, or is it really trying to shove in the last couple watts?
What I think is happening is that the charger is trying to push power into the battery and the battery then gets saturated to 58V so the Inverter see's the 58V and stops charging, but the battery cannot hold that voltage because it is above saturation so it starts to bleed off power and the voltage quickly drops back down 54.3V and that triggers the Inverter to start charging again back up to 58V.
But how does all this translate to the mppt not seeing the morning's frist pv input and starting up? The mornings generally start with ~70% charge in the batteries.
Have not been following that problem.

Have not been following that problem.
Ha ... title of the thread.

Your reasoning sounds ... reasonable and Solar Assistant appears to have a decent battery monitoring page. Have a favorite thread with charge settings?

Ha ... title of the thread.

Your reasoning sounds ... reasonable and Solar Assistant appears to have a decent battery monitoring page. Have a favorite thread with charge settings?
I use Float and Absorption at 54.5V

ou can be excused for not knowing that Growatt and Signature Solar are complete untrustworthy when it comes to documentation.
Even after 6 Months they still have documentation like the above one that says their batteries can be discharged at 100Amps while another set of Documents say 30Amps. In the real world go beyond 30 Amps and it will most likely Trip.
Ahh! Now i understand, then. I know i've been having just a thrilling time trying to fill in all the blank spaces between the lines of what IS said in my Growatt spf5000es manuals. There is a whole bunch of behavior that just isn't explained at all. Enough that i've considered paralleling my units and just not telling them they are in parallel. Let one think the other is the grid, etc, just to get around some of the goofiness that I can't change through the menus. Also thought about cutting leads to the ac bypass relay.. haven't done any of that yet, still feeling things out and running experiments.

And damn, if i bought one of those batteries and couldn't get more than 30a continuous out of it i'd be getting my money back, either through the vendor, or paypal, or my credit card, etc etc. That's ludicrous underperformance compared to the specs. Not all that different proportionally to those $14 solar charge controllers that say they can do 60-100 amps when they melt at 23. Nice to know you can spend 100X more money and still be misled to the same extent. :oops:

And damn, if i bought one of those batteries and couldn't get more than 30a continuous out of it i'd be getting my money back, either through the vendor, or paypal, or my credit card, etc etc. That's ludicrous underperformance compared to the specs. Not all that different proportionally to those $14 solar charge controllers that say they can do 60-100 amps when they melt at 23. Nice to know you can spend 100X more money and still be misled to the same extent. :oops:
I agree with robby, and maybe disagree. There was a recent thread of a significant gauge wire melting due to a eg4 inverter shorting and the batteries dumping into the inverter. Probably way more than 30 amps per battery were needed to accomplish the feat, but ... 1) not all of the eg4 appear to have the short circuit protection issue, and 2) for some reason the batteries appear able to continuously output significantly more than 30amps per battery, as long as it's ramped up somewhat gradually, not instantaneously. After all the posts on just this forum, it's apparent SigSolar has a problem with the basic eg4. Quality control? Maybe. Surely, it would not be the first time a Chinese company quietly slipped some outliers into a shipping container bound for the place they love to hate.

Yes, Voltronic Power products manuals suk, and as far as I am concerned, their lack of proper documentation borders on the edge of criminal negligence.

Been tearing out part of a wall, pulling 2awg wire, and setting a breaker box since SigSolar got around to answering the question of the spfxxxt low freq inverter having internal transformer overload protections. Yep, 2awg is overkill, but it beats having to rewire if upgrading at a later date.

Anyhow, no issues with early morning pv starting since this first incident.

This sounds pretty close to what this @rykelo describes in his post (very last post in this thread):

Watch his video ( https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ez75oFd71MBuo2kw9 ) - he has to power-cycle his unit just like you, except he has to do it multiple times per day.

As you have said, this seems to be a recurring problem for several people on this forum, hopefully Growatt can help correct this issue once and for all!
Just got another one 3k 48v version does the same thing! Forgot to comment on something, so on the Growatt 3k 48v version, WIFI desktop US servers. While looking at the stats on the dashboard page, I noticed that energy was exported to the grid! Where do that come from, this model is off grid!

Last edited:
Just got another one 3k 48v version does the same thing! Forgot to comment on something, so on the Growatt 3k 48v version, WIFI desktop US servers. While looking at the stats on the dashboard page, I noticed that energy was exported to the grid! Where do that come from, this model is off grid!

Attachments

• 20220806_161410.jpg
    20220806_161410.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 6

Check out my post (post #8) from the below thread - mine reads the EXACT same as yours, and I'm completely off grid too! Must be a global glitch:

Hello All, I have been following a few threads about this topic for the last couple of weeks. After I built my system, all was working flawlessly...until the next morning when I had no PV input being received by the inverters. I read all these threads, changed the float setting value, etc. but nothing fixed the issue. The only solution was to reboot my whole system (switch off main breaker from battery to inverters, wait a minute or 2, then turn back on) each morning to get PV input to be picked up and start charging my system. I live in AZ, so there is ALWAYS some PV available in the morning, but it would never get picked up automatically.

After not finding a consistent solution to the issue, I reached out to Watts247 support (Ian), since I bought the inverters from them, and asked what to do. Ian knew exactly what I was talking about and told me I needed to update the firmware of the inverters and it would solve the problem. He sent me a text with a link to all of the files and instructions I would need for my specific inverters.

I ran the update on both inverters (took a little while to get the tool running...and it would not run for me unless PV was present). The next morning, I FINALLY HAD SOLAR without rebooting my system. Thank you to Watts247 support (Ian) for providing the solution!!

I ran the update on both inverters (took a little while to get the tool running...and it would not run for me unless PV was present). The next morning, I FINALLY HAD SOLAR without rebooting my system. Thank you to Watts247 support (Ian) for providing the solution!!

Thanks for the post - which specific unit do you have, and do you remember which firmware you upgraded from/to? It would be very helpful for those experiencing same/similar issues, thanks again!

Thanks for the post - which specific unit do you have, and do you remember which firmware you upgraded from/to? It would be very helpful for those experiencing same/similar issues, thanks again!
I have the Growatt SPF 3000 LVM 48v version. I have 2 of them in parallel outputting split phase. The name of the firmware file provided was: TMS320F28027_sk002.07_202112210950.bin

Ian from Watts247 asked me to provide the link here. But this firmware was provided to me because I told him I am using Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM model, the 48v version. That is when he sent me this link. It is not intended for all inverters. **Please only upgrade to this firmware if you are certain it is for your model!

https://watts247.com/manuals/gw/Firmware/24 and 48P firmware/21March2022-MPPT-TimeoutBugFix

Last edited:
Back