diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF5000ES ground/neutral bond (Europe 230V)

solarrig

Hello,
I need help with Growatt SPF5000ES ground/neutral bond. The more information i see/find, the more confused i become. It looks like:

a. ground/neutral bond is different in the USA vs Europe (please correct if i'm wrong), i live in EU.
b. Growatt under the same name "SPF5000ES" makes two different inverters. One with build in G/N bond for USA, other without G/N for EU. (please correct if i'm wrong).

I have two SPF5000ES (not connected yet), and willing to buy the 3rd one. Currently one item bought from Poland (EU), other bought directly from China.

First of all, is there any way by looking in to this inverter understand does it have G/N bond or no?
Second, should i do G/N bond or no? If yes, where? :) I live in Europe. As i understand in Europe there is no need to do that. But what if one (or both) my inverters already have that bond inside? Or maybe i wrong, maybe i need it?

I love electricity and play with it since childhood, but i'm not certified electrician and i never ever before had anything with G/N bond. As (if) USA vs EU have different rules already bit confusing, and if growatt makes two different models under the same name, everything becomes even more confused. My setup will be connected to the city grid on winters. But on summer i would like to turn OFF city grid and live on my own off grid.

Also what the worst could happen if i make a mistake here?

P.S. Also, i know, that if you in the forest with gasoline generator, there must one of wire grounded to the earth, so the other would become the live wire. But this is probably different story.

Thank you.

Hi, hopefully someone with the know how will comment on this, i purchased the Growatt SPF5000ES on eBay and don't know which one I got, is only after i ordered one from Signature solar that i found out there's 2 different versions (one for the US and other one for other countries that use only 230v) o would like to know how to check and what can be done to make them the same, ground/neutral
Thank you I'm advance for your reply

Hi, hopefully someone with the know how will comment on this, i purchased the Growatt SPF5000ES on eBay and don't know which one I got, is only after i ordered one from Signature solar that i found out there's 2 different versions (one for the US and other one for other countries that use only 230v) o would like to know how to check and what can be done to make them the same, ground/neutral
Thank you I'm advance for your reply

Looks like this forum is dead. I made few posts, nobody commenting, nobody reading.
Use facebook group "Growatt Users" instead.

it's actually quite easy to test whether your inverter has an internal G+N bond.
see this thread for more detail on how i did it: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/g...ronic-clone-hybrid-inverter.56245/post-733222
i also propose a solution there using a normally closed AC contactor for dynamically bonding G+N for inverters that don't do it automatically.
btw, i also live in a country where grid voltage is 230v and earthing system is TT as done in most parts of europe (afaik, might be wrong there).
if your inverter does do the G+N bonding when in battery/solar mode, just make sure there are no other bonds in the house wiring, and you're done.

Hello,
I need help with Growatt SPF5000ES ground/neutral bond. The more information i see/find, the more confused i become. It looks like:

a. ground/neutral bond is different in the USA vs Europe (please correct if i'm wrong), i live in EU.
b. Growatt under the same name "SPF5000ES" makes two different inverters. One with build in G/N bond for USA, other without G/N for EU. (please correct if i'm wrong).

I have two SPF5000ES (not connected yet), and willing to buy the 3rd one. Currently one item bought from Poland (EU), other bought directly from China.

First of all, is there any way by looking in to this inverter understand does it have G/N bond or no?
Second, should i do G/N bond or no? If yes, where? :) I live in Europe. As i understand in Europe there is no need to do that. But what if one (or both) my inverters already have that bond inside? Or maybe i wrong, maybe i need it?

I love electricity and play with it since childhood, but i'm not certified electrician and i never ever before had anything with G/N bond. As (if) USA vs EU have different rules already bit confusing, and if growatt makes two different models under the same name, everything becomes even more confused. My setup will be connected to the city grid on winters. But on summer i would like to turn OFF city grid and live on my own off grid.

Also what the worst could happen if i make a mistake here?

P.S. Also, i know, that if you in the forest with gasoline generator, there must one of wire grounded to the earth, so the other would become the live wire. But this is probably different story.

Thank you.
If you use multimeter continuity mode, you can check on N-G input and N-G AC output, Mine has N-G bond on the AC output. I'm living in Indonesia, Asia. I'm not sure if your unit's the same unit. I just got my unit 2 weeks ago, still setting up, i'll be using dry contact and contactors for grid power directly to load if the solar/battery fails.

Back