diy solar

diy solar

[SOLVED] Growatt SPF5000ES USB B port not working (?)

3clypse

Edit: Solution here -> https://diysolarforum.com/threads/solved-growatt-spf5000es-usb-b-port-not-working.43145/post-584869

Hi all!
I recently finish the setup of a minimal off-grid system in the countryside. In a nutshell:
- 1x Growatt SPF 5000 ES (firmware: 040 05 701 - 041 05 701)
- 2x Pylontech US2000C
- 4x 540w solar panel

Everything working good (in terms of charging and electricity usage), and now I'm trying to monitor this setup.
* The master Pylontech battery is connected to a Raspberry PI 3 with SolarAssistant and I'm getting the expected data (using a USB <-> RJ45 CAN wire). ?
* But, the inverter (in theory) should provide data from the USB B port (printer USB type), but it doesn't. ?

I tried with 2 different USB (USB B <-> USB A) wires with:
- Laptop with Windows10 + PVKEEPER 2.0 (the COM port appear, but no data is shown...) (suggestion from SolarAssistant)
- Laptop with Ubuntu + Python ModBus lib. Still getting a communication error (using 9600 baud) (DIYSOLAR thread Github issue)
- SolarAssistant in a Raspberry PI 3. Connection timing out.

I'm a bit lost now, given I'm thinking that maybe the USB port is simply broken... I have not other ideas in mind and the USB A port (normal USB port) is not even providing connection (apparently is only for the Growatt WiFi dongle)

Any idea? Thank you so much. Best regards :) ?

Last edited:
Hi all!
I recently finish the setup of a minimal off-grid system in the countryside. In a nutshell:
- 2x Pylontech US2000C
- 4x 540w solar panel

Everything working good (in terms of charging and electricity usage), and now I'm trying to monitor this setup.
* The master Pylontech battery is connected to a Raspberry PI 3 with SolarAssistant and I'm getting the expected data (using a USB <-> RJ45 CAN wire). ?
* But, the inverter (in theory) should provide data from the USB B port (printer USB type), but it doesn't. ?

- Laptop with Windows10 + PVKEEPER 2.0 (the COM port appear, but no data is shown...) (suggestion from SolarAssistant)
- Laptop with Ubuntu + Python ModBus lib. Still getting a communication error (using 9600 baud) (DIYSOLAR thread Github issue)

I'm a bit lost now, given I'm thinking that maybe the USB port is simply broken... I have not other ideas in mind and the USB A port (normal USB port) is not even providing connection (apparently is only for the Growatt WiFi dongle)

I had a random issue once. The clocks on the SA and inverter were not the same. Once corrected, it started reporting again. Not sure if this is your problem, but worth a shot. It took me 3 days to figure it out, on mine. (Same as yours)

I had a random issue once. The clocks on the SA and inverter were not the same. Once corrected, it started reporting again. Not sure if this is your problem, but worth a shot. It took me 3 days to figure it out, on mine. (Same as yours)
? Gonna check this today. Maybe the minutes are not exactly the same. I want to check with other USB drivers I found in this forum (to try with W10 + PVKeeper again).

Thank you.

Nah, nothing working. Clock synced by minutes also. Today testing:

- SolarAssistant using the RS232 <-> USB adapter cable. It was detected automatically, but the communication is timing out.
- Laptop with Ubuntu + the RS232 <-> USB adapter cable. /dev/ttyUSB0 assigned, but `screen` is not connecting. Neither with Python modbus (9600 baus).
- W10 + UART UART 232 ftdi driver (automatically downloaded). PVKEEPER 2.0 keeps trying to communicate. The COM port is apparently there, but nothing is displayed.

So... no luck with the RS232 port (BMS port in the inverter). Same exp as with the USB B port, so I guess the board is burned or corrupted, given fully rebooting the inverter is not solving the issue.

Thanks again for the ideas. Time to call my solar supplier for a board fix/replacement.

Nah, nothing working. Clock synced by minutes also. Today testing:

- SolarAssistant using the RS232 <-> USB adapter cable. It was detected automatically, but the communication is timing out.
- Laptop with Ubuntu + the RS232 <-> USB adapter cable. /dev/ttyUSB0 assigned, but `screen` is not connecting. Neither with Python modbus (9600 baus).
- W10 + UART UART 232 ftdi driver (automatically downloaded). PVKEEPER 2.0 keeps trying to communicate. The COM port is apparently there, but nothing is displayed.

So... no luck with the RS232 port (BMS port in the inverter). Same exp as with the USB B port, so I guess the board is burned or corrupted, given fully rebooting the inverter is not solving the issue.

Thanks again for the ideas. Time to call my solar supplier for a board fix/replacement.
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your supplier.

As wired as it may sound.. are you using the original usb cable from growatt?

I tried 10or more cables and nothing sorked until i got a original one.. no clue whats special with that one, looks like any other cable, but it works and the others not..

Also try a factory reset and see if that helps.
(Press Arrow up and down simultaneously and enter the reset code - 304 i think, but check on google first)

Well I will be a bon of a sitch.
The printer cable from the factory did work. I don't understand what they did.
I need to go a long distance to my desktop.

Thanks Harakiri37 for the heads up.

Sorry for my late reply. Thanks everyone. I have some news:
- My local solar supplier doesn't understand a single word in English, so I had to directly write by email to Growatt.

- I'm based in EU, so I tried sending an email to the support email that appears in the EU website. Somehow they didn't reply. The ghost support. So I checked and in The Netherlands they also have another (amazing and lovely) support.

- They requested lot of photos + screenshots + a long video with the proof of my issue. After that, they order 2 new boards to the factory supplier (China). In 2 weeks they arrived at home (Fedex, so I had to pay for the custom taxes, but is ok)

- Today I installed the boards (battery, solar and inverter turned off). Just replace them and turn all on. And... ALL WORKS!!

- The USB connection (normal printer USB cable + RPI3 with SolarAssistant), AND also the BMS connection with my Pylontech US2000C batteries!! (Inverter config 05 - LI // 36 - L52 if you ask).

So... I cannot be happier. The support from The Netherlands office made a great work. Even in August, they managed this issue in around 2 weeks.

Best regards.

Sorry for my late reply. Thanks everyone. I have some news:
- My local solar supplier doesn't understand a single word in English, so I had to directly write by email to Growatt.

- I'm based in EU, so I tried sending an email to the support email that appears in the EU website. Somehow they didn't reply. The ghost support. So I checked and in The Netherlands they also have another (amazing and lovely) support.

- They requested lot of photos + screenshots + a long video with the proof of my issue. After that, they order 2 new boards to the factory supplier (China). In 2 weeks they arrived at home (Fedex, so I had to pay for the custom taxes, but is ok)

- Today I installed the boards (battery, solar and inverter turned off). Just replace them and turn all on. And... ALL WORKS!!

- The USB connection (normal printer USB cable + RPI3 with SolarAssistant), AND also the BMS connection with my Pylontech US2000C batteries!! (Inverter config 05 - LI // 36 - L52 if you ask).

So... I cannot be happier. The support from The Netherlands office made a great work. Even in August, they managed this issue in around 2 weeks.

Best regards.
That's awesome

No times, when I added an extension to the factory's cable the COM disappears.
I emailed growatt and they forwarded me letter to
usaservice@ginverter.com
But I have not heard back from them.
It has worked for others. Are you sure that your extension has data and power wires? Some are only one or the other.

Hi all!
- 2x Pylontech US2000C
- 4x 540w solar panel

Had the same problem but was using a different USB cable. Soon as I used the USB supplied it works. No idea what the difference is??!!

i have the same problem here but I don't think is a problem with the comunication port of the inverters.

i have 2 inverters growatt spf5000es and 2 cables. I can't read from any of them with either the cables. time is aligned.

the shinephone dongle works ok but I need to remove it in order to read from the "squared" usb port. I believe there is a set up which enables one or the other.

any idea?

Last edited:
OK I tried a bit more this evening and could not get neither of my inverters to send any signal via USB-A port. I tried with the cables provided with the inverters and other calbes too. The port is detected ok by the OS but it does not comunicate (I wrote a little script to test that).

I removed the panel and look inside.
I found there a dip switch (1 to 5) all set to OFF (on is indicated), and I am wondering if this switch drives where the data are going to be sent (Dongle or USB-A). I took a picture and even though it is not super clear I believe it is readable enough. Is there anyone willing to remove the bottom cover of the inverter and take/share a picture of the DIP switch configuration?

Just a quick summary
2 SPF5000ES connected in parallel
20KWH batteries (connected to both inverters)
3.4KW installed PV in a single array installed to only one inverter (the host among the 2)

The shinePhone dongle works ok, no problem however I get data with 5, 10 or 20min delay.
Other then data logging I have no problem, the system works ok and it seem very reliable (no flickering of lights when it goes AC bypass, or while charging the batteris from grid or solar).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• ComBoardDipSwitch.png
    ComBoardDipSwitch.png
    389.1 KB · Views: 9
how is this wrong thread? I am trying to troubleshoot why my inverters do not send any signal via usb-a?

how is this wrong thread? I am trying to troubleshoot why my inverters do not send any signal via usb-a?
I'm assuming they posted in this thread by mistake. And deleted it. But since you can't completely remove it. They explained why the post still remains.

OK I tried a bit more this evening and could not get neither of my inverters to send any signal via USB-A port. I tried with the cables provided with the inverters and other calbes too. The port is detected ok by the OS but it does not comunicate (I wrote a little script to test that).

I removed the panel and look inside.
I found there a dip switch (1 to 5) all set to OFF (on is indicated), and I am wondering if this switch drives where the data are going to be sent (Dongle or USB-A). I took a picture and even though it is not super clear I believe it is readable enough. Is there anyone willing to remove the bottom cover of the inverter and take/share a picture of the DIP switch configuration?

Just a quick summary
2 SPF5000ES connected in parallel
20KWH batteries (connected to both inverters)
3.4KW installed PV in a single array installed to only one inverter (the host among the 2)

The shinePhone dongle works ok, no problem however I get data with 5, 10 or 20min delay.
Other then data logging I have no problem, the system works ok and it seem very reliable (no flickering of lights when it goes AC bypass, or while charging the batteris from grid or solar).

Any help would be much appreciated.
In my tests, the USB-A port was not giving any data. I assume that is there just for the Growatt USB-wifi dongle (I don't have it).
If you remove that USB dongle, do you get any data from the USB-B (square, printer USB) port?
Did you try with other USB cable? Did you try with a Windows laptop + https://watts247.com/manuals/gw/SoftwareCD/PVKeeperV2.0/ ?

Cheers.

Back