diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPH Series Inverter - Battery BMS protocol

mnm1501

HI All,
Trying to work out the Protocol required to get my batteries talking to my Growatt SPH5000 Inverter, I have found that the Pylontech US2000-3000 are compatible & am assuming it is CAN BUS that is the protocol (I have got the protocol doc).
Does anyone have the Pinout for the RJ45 on the Inverter, protocol doc, Baud Rate & any info on what I need to pass to the inverter to get it working.
I have 4 x Li-ION & Lifepo4 packs with DALY BMS's but am looking to use the DIYBMS4.0 to manage the batteries, I would like to aggregate the totals of the batts & pass that to the inverter, looking to use a ESP & CANBUS module to do this.
Any info or help would be appreciated :).
Thanks
Matt

Attachments

• CAN-Bus-protocol-PYLON-low-voltage-V1.2-20180408.pdf
    250.4 KB · Views: 520
I no longer need to do it, but yes, I got it running. I will upload it to Github and let you know. Give me 1-2 Days.

So did you manage to get this working with a growatt? I'm interested in trying to link up a batrium with growatt but information is somewhat lacking

So did you manage to get this working with a growatt? I'm interested in trying to link up a batrium with growatt but information is somewhat lacking
Im looking as well, to allow my batrium watchmon core and my growatts to communicate.

Hi Dutchcamper

Does your battery BMS has bluetooth support or another means of sending the data (CAN even if the protocol is different) -- if so what BMS and if you send some details, can give some direction

My Case
-- Had third party developed Battery (Not myself) which incidentally used yybms (China based) -- Got the details after ripping their mobile app and also got the entire information of including format of the data
-- Use GoodWe Inverter (Growatt is also from same factory i believe )
-- Developed unit details below

Hardware
-- Raspberry pi zerp W with header --- cost 14 USD
-- Wavershare CAN-RS485 -- Cost 16 USD or so in Amazon
-- MiroSD Card - i had one
-- 5v/5.1v, 2 amps microusb charging unit -- used old mobile phone charger

Software
-- Python based
-- bluepy
-- CAN Module
-- Custom code
-- Battery sends Bluetooth Low Energy data of voltage, current, soc etc ever 2 to 3 seconds -- custom parser to parse the data
-- CAN Message is sent ever 1 second : battery BLE message and CAN are handled async
-- Added small html/js based utlity to show SOC, Voltage and Current within the home network
-- Also added extra elements -- a pioled based display (it cost 22 USD not required) and sending data to google spread sheet every minute (growatt or other inverters will have this data themself)

Hi Dutchcamper

Does your battery BMS has bluetooth support or another means of sending the data (CAN even if the protocol is different) -- if so what BMS and if you send some details, can give some direction

My Case
-- Had third party developed Battery (Not myself) which incidentally used yybms (China based) -- Got the details after ripping their mobile app and also got the entire information of including format of the data

Hardware

Software
-- Python based
-- bluepy
-- CAN Module
-- Custom code
-- Battery sends Bluetooth Low Energy data of voltage, current, soc etc ever 2 to 3 seconds -- custom parser to parse the data
-- CAN Message is sent ever 1 second : battery BLE message and CAN are handled async
-- Added small html/js based utlity to show SOC, Voltage and Current within the home network
-- Also added extra elements -- a pioled based display (it cost 22 USD not required) and sending data to google spread sheet every minute (growatt or other inverters will have this data themself)
Yeah I think we are golden except for the "custom code" bit. I'm pretty sure my 12000T DVM does not have CAN (even though growatt says it does). It does have RS-485 but the pylontech protocol is not as clear as the CAN. I'm trying to work on a python script that talks RS-485 to the growatt but it's early days - i.e. I've confirmed that the Growatt is asking for some data but that's about it

Are there any Growatt SPH owners active here on this thread?

I’m interested to understand where to purchase these inverters and whether anyone has successfully used a Growatt SPH inverter for zero-export using CT sensors?

Small demo on video

Github link
PYLON_EMU

I have no current hardware to test it, but the virtual CAN port shows the expected values, it can be of help to some of you.
We are working on an emulator using Pylon parameters, we have managed to obtain the communication between Growatt and the battery systems using a RPI as an intermediate between BSM and inverter.

Does anybody know how invertor work with battery by CAN? Is it bidirectional protocol or battery just send updates every X second to invertor?

We are working on an emulator using Pylon parameters, we have managed to obtain the communication between Growatt and the battery systems using a RPI as an intermediate between BSM and inverter.
So is this that ur RPI systems sends every 1second CAN Messages to Inverter. Presume we don't need to worry about what inverter sends back. Please confirm

Hi Dutchcamper

My Case

Hardware

Software
-- Python based
-- bluepy
-- CAN Module
-- Custom code
Can you please share some information on how you did this?

hi everyone. im looking to purchase a SPH5000 but from what i can see the battery limitation is a bit annoying. would love to hear if anyone has gotten around this ...

Hello!
Do someone know is Nissan Leaf original BMS CAN protocol compatible with Growatt SPH?

Last edited:
did you manage to make an emulator between the two? as I am about to try and do the same thing

So is this that ur RPI systems sends every 1second CAN Messages to Inverter. Presume we don't need to worry about what inverter sends back. Please confirm
Can you please share more info please. With GoodWe was able to send the CAN message but don't see GoodWe picking up. So wanted how you did with Growatt so that we can learn and mimic it

Can you please share more info please. With GoodWe was able to send the CAN message but don't see GoodWe picking up. So wanted how you did with Growatt so that we can learn and mimic it
I have all the equipment to start trying to do this now, I believe that growatt actually communicates to the pylontech batteries over rs485 and not can-bus but I have the can hat module so I will be able to use rs485 and can, from reading a lot about people connecting actual pylontech batteries it's using the rs485 at 9600 and needs some dip switches changed and possibly some firmware updates on the inverter to get it to work. currently have my inverter to lead-acid but it doesn't always start charging the batteries unless they are below 50% as it thinks they are still full.

Back