diy solar

diy solar

Growatt stops the PV when sunny and when load is connected

Arne999

I have just started using the Growatt 3000 24V and today I run into another issue...

I have a 24V Lipofe 280Ah battery, Daly BMS (not connected to Growatt)

Middle of day, sun is shinging, grid is disconnected, the battery is far from full and the load is fairly low, 2-300W. The following happens.

0. PV pendles 500-1000W
1. PV =0W
2. I restart (on the 1/0 button) and the growatt starts to charge again
3. 1 hour later same thing the PV goes to 0W
4. Another restart seconds away from 3. and the PV goes to 1kW for another hour or so...

I have a Daly BMS 75A charging 150 Load and Im far away from these numbers and since the PV goes to 0W even if I have a load I assume the problem is the growatt.

I cant find any logic based on the settings to explain the behaviour. The battery voltage is lower than cutoff and a load is connected so why... PV=0???

27V and my battery was at 25.9 when I observed one of the events
Do you have the WiFi dongle that logs to an internet account? I have seen very helpful details in the log that are not available otherwise.

Ok but im not even near these values anyway (27V float is defaault setting in the Growatt).

But if I have a load the PV should not ever be 0W when the PV is avaliable or ? Feels like a very strange configuration of if that is the case.

I have the wifi installed with 5 minutes interval of data .... Cant find how to change this after the setup? Of what I can see from the log the PV goes to 0W without any apparent reason.

Isnt it strange that a reset, minutes after PV goes to zero starts the PV again at ~1kW for an hour ? if I would be close to any voltage limit this would not be possible.

I have two panels in series, (TSM-400 DE09.08 ) with 41.2V in VoC so 82.4V is what the converter gets. The limit is 105V. I do have long cables ~25meters so I was thinking that it might be some overvoltage issue but woldnt the growatt post an alarm or something in that case?

I have 4 parallell setups (so 8 panels in total, 3.2kW installed). I know that this is way more installed power than the Growatt can handle but this time of the year I dont expect it to be any problem. I also guess that if the PV can provide more power the the growatt can take care of it just controls the PV current to the growatt max.

Yesterday it was partly sunny and I did not record any value above 1.2kW from the panels.

Are there days when this does not happen? If so, maybe some clues exist.

Would you attach your log file from the WiFi?

I have two panels in series, (TSM-400 DE09.08 ) with 41.2V in VoC so 82.4V is what the converter gets. The limit is 105V. I do have long cables ~25meters so I was thinking that it might be some overvoltage issue but woldnt the growatt post an alarm or something in that case?

I have 4 parallell setups (so 8 panels in total, 3.2kW installed). I know that this is way more installed power than the Growatt can handle but this time of the year I dont expect it to be any problem. I also guess that if the PV can provide more power the the growatt can take care of it just controls the PV current to the growatt max.

Yesterday it was partly sunny and I did not record any value above 1.2kW from the panels.
Isc for these panels is about 12.25A.

12.25A x 4 parallel strings = 49A

Keep pushing it, let the magic smoke come out. Max solar charging amps at 24V nominal for the GW 24V SPF3000TL is 80A with a max pv array of 2000W. That means 25A going in max which is just above the hard limit for any GW or MPP unit usually 22A. The operating range of the MPPT reinforces this, 30V to 115V. 2000W divided by 115V = around 18A which is what most GW and MPP mppt's are operating range rated.

You need to add external SCC's instead of trying to push 3.2Kw into a unit made for 2000W max.

This is no fault of the GW, it is user error and could have damaged the unit.

Could you be tripping the BMS (charge over-current)?
I would agree this should be checked. Take the max charge down to 70amps or so and see if that clears is up.

Again ,post your logs. The charging amps are in the log and you can see if it hits 75 amps or not.

But Im not trying to push any 3.2kW into the unit. Installing rated 1.6kw (was my first intention) in Sweden in late september does not give me 1.6kW, it actually never ever gives me 1.6kW :) .

Thats why I overdimensioned the intalled potential power since the panels are fairly cheap. Anyway I just assumed that any converter has a limit in the control. If this is not the case its good to know and I will remove half and buy another converter but.

Dont find a logfile ? but here is a screenshot of yesterday

the first stop around 1200 took me a while to notice
The second stop right after 14:20. I managed to observe this and made a quick reset.
Based on this data the PV never went above 1kW (but I actually saw 1.xkW in the display but I guess i have the 5minutes interval between the samples....)

Should not the converter post an error message if there was any issue with to high current? I would really like a confirmation if to many panels can cause a problem. I would be suprised if the converter contol can control the PV current above its rating, its a simple software protection?

If the battery is full and no load is present the converter can control this without a problem (i hope,,,)

1664558203155.png

The log file will tell you details that you never see on the dashboard. See previous post, the log file can be found for your device's History Data.

Can I find the data in the shinephone app ?

I have logged in to

but it does not seam towork. The Datalogger is visible and online but everything is zero. Tried to add more "rights" under system set but just get the message "The role has no permisson to operate"

Can I find the data in the shinephone app ?

I have logged in to

but it does not seam towork. The Datalogger is visible and online but everything is zero. Tried to add more "rights" under system set but just get the message "The role has no permisson to operate"
I don't know about mobile app. I log onto the server portal on my PC browser (using the US server). Under my "Plant" are my two WiFi devices. Over to the right on each is the History Data link. I think the numbers all go to zero for "today" until the unit is on and working. Mine stay off most of the time as they are my emergency power system.

Several people have had different issues with odd behavior, which seems to be software related. I had trouble with AC charging not working when I thought it should. But the log showed that when the log said battery was 100% (even when battery was not fully charged) that it would not charge. As soon as the log showed the battery was 75% is started AC charging. Never in the log was any value between 75 and 100 reported. It just said, 100, 100, 100, 75, 75, etc. Anyway, charging amps and watts are recorded every view minutes. If you hit 75Amps and caused your Daly to shut off, it is likely you would see amps close to 75 in the log right before it shuts down.

I see my device, online but tere is no History data link. I have seen others having it (screenshots ) but it does not pop up for me?

Back