diy solar

diy solar

Growatt vs mpp solar all-in-one units?

Lstyles

Putting together off-grid system for Mexico. I was thinking I would go with 2 lvx6458s from mpp solar but see a lot of people like the growatt units (6k or 8k). They seem similarly priced so am wondering if there are advantages/disadvantages to one or the other? System will be 10-12kw solar array with about 30kw lithium battery. Totally off-grid in remote location so like the redundancy of the two split phase inverters in case one goes down I can at least run system off the other one while repairing the other.

You cannot parallel the larger 6kw or 12kw growatt inveters.

I prefer the MPP units due to some features and they seem to be more popular around here, meaning better support/troubleshooting. I'm also biased because I have 2x LV6548's.

Wow, I had not noticed that you cannot parallel the growatts. That’s kind of a deal breaker for me. How has your experience with the lv6548s been? Any problems setting things up?

Wow, I had not noticed that you cannot parallel the growatts. That’s kind of a deal breaker for me. How has your experience with the lv6548s been? Any problems setting things up?
A few here and there, but everything works out and I'm very happy with them

Where did you end up getting your lv6548s from?
highly advise you to het them through mpp solar direct ( alibaba) , or watts247.com

watts247.com is an authorized mpp solar reseller for the US, and they will be able to provide you with the best support ,in your time zone, should you need it

Thanks! I have been emailing with watts247 and they have been very responsive to my questions. It’s nice to have your recommendation to confirm my initial opinion.

By the way, I just noticed that I have been writing the wrong model number for what I am considering. I want the lvx6048s not the 6548s. As I understand it the 6048s have stand along split phase capability and 6548 you need to parallel two of them to get that.
I am also considering the new lvx6048wp which is due in early 2022. It looks like for a few more $$ it might be a little beefier and perhaps less likely to break down. I won’t need my all-in one unit until March/April at the earliest. Any other new units on the way?

not sure, usually the OEM for mpp solar releases the models a few months sooner , you can check their website out.
voltronics power

Why don't you go with the growatt Sf 5000? You can parallel several. Each one can handle 434 volts/18amps

I am not too savvy with adding extra electrical things so I think I would prefer to have split phase capability built into each unit. That also gives me redundancy if one unit goes down.

The transformer hooks into your panel (three wires) works whether you have one "all in one growatts" or several units. So if you had three growatts paralleled together and one goes down it will not affect the others because it is making the split phase in the outlet pannel itself and not the inverter/all in one unit

So the thinking would be that it’s more reliable to use the non-split phase inverters and just use an auto-transformer as there no electronics/moving parts like there would be if using units that have individual split phase capability?

Can I piggy back in this issue…. I’m also looking to set up a 13-15KW 48 system and I wondered - if you prefer the MPP LV6548 over the Growatt SPF5000ES? I was looking at 3 Growatt to make it easy but I also like how simple the LV6548 seem. I want the system off grid- But, I might also like to someday connect to grid to sell any potential excess back to the system??
I’m fairly new to all this but love the concept and watching y’all on YouTube and since I have a new farm I thought this is the perfect time to jump in.
Thanks for any input/guidance.

Growatt SPF3500 and 5000 plus some other off-grid 3 in 1 models can be paralleled . I am looking at a system with some redundancy, so a smaller unit paralleled to one or two others will enable installation of large PV arrays and great AC output potential. The advantage over a single larger unit is that if something breaks, multiple parallel units will still still produce power, although reduced. With a single large unit failing you are screwed.Until it gets fixed.
Another advantage is you can start small and grow the system by adding more parallel components as your budget allows.

Is it possible to parallel two SPF3500 and one SPF5000? Now I'm using two 3500 in parallel and I want more power on single phase and I was thinking about paralleling additional SPF5000.

Back