diy solar

diy solar

Growatt VS Victron

EddieM

Its time to buy something.

Going 24Volt

Looking at the Growatt VS a Victron setup.

By the time i add on the victron program interface and i can buy two Growatt systems VS the one Victron setup multiplus and Solar cotroler.

Is one so much better then the other or not??

What are the pros and cons of each one?

This will be installed in a truck.

Thanks

You might get more responses if you make it clear what specific items you are looking at and what your end goals are.

i dont think its a fair comparison. The victron is significantly more expensive, however has better certs. If your in a jurisdiction that requires those certs then there is no options.

If not then for me it boils down to cost benefit.... There are not nearly enough benefits on the Victron to justify its costs over Growatt. (and at the time I installed my growatts they did not offer a similar product)

A Growatt 24V 3000watt system
VS
Victron 100/50 controlar and
3000 Watt milti plus

Or maybe just the Victron 100/50 controlar and a 3000 watt inverter of some brand.

A Growatt 24V 3000watt system
VS
Victron 100/50 controlar and
3000 Watt milti plus

Or maybe just the Victron 100/50 controlar and a 3000 watt inverter of some brand.
TO be a fair comparison you need something that can charge batteries off the grid and also grid bypass without takeing the load offline. (UPS like switch)

TO be a fair comparison you need something that can charge batteries off the grid and also grid bypass without takeing the load offline. (UPS like switch)
The growatt has huybrid fuctionality, similar to the the Victron, unless I am reading something wrong.

I have a Victron setup in my 5th wheel (house), and am in the process of building out a small RV for Baja and other short trips.

My experience may be somewhat isolated, as I have many many fulltime RV friends with Victron setups, and only a couple with similar experience, but for me, although I appreciated the fact that I didn't have to pay for the replacements, their support/warranty was slow and painful. My 5000W inverter took a dump in the first few months, 2 charge controllers went down on me. In total, I was down for almost 6 of my first 12 months on the system.
I changed nothing on the system, just the failed components, and have been trouble free for almost 3 years. In talking with the service center, who did well, all things considered, told me they were having some pretty serious quality issues at the time though, so I am inclined to believe you wouldn't have issues, but I bought the super high end partially thinking I wouldn't have to worry about it. Had I gone with the cheapest thing on Amazon, I may or may not have been covered, but at least I could have been back up and running in a couple of days. (remember when Amazon prime was 2 days... ah I miss those days!)

Anyway, I have a few friends who have the Growatt in their rigs running for a few months now with no complaints, so I went ahead and ordered one of those this time.

Depends on who you buy from / get support from. I've had two replacements shipped to me within days with no questions asked and they didn't even want the defective stuff back. Extremely painless. (Victron, to be clear)

Going 24Volt

By the time i add on the victron program interface and i can buy two Growatt systems VS the one Victron setup multiplus and Solar cotroler.

Thanks
So what did you go with?

Going 24Volt

Thanks
So how about an update?

I have a Victron setup in my 5th wheel (house), and am in the process of building out a small RV for Baja and other short trips.

My experience may be somewhat isolated, as I have many many fulltime RV friends with Victron setups, and only a couple with similar experience, but for me, although I appreciated the fact that I didn't have to pay for the replacements, their support/warranty was slow and painful. My 5000W inverter took a dump in the first few months, 2 charge controllers went down on me. In total, I was down for almost 6 of my first 12 months on the system.
I changed nothing on the system, just the failed components, and have been trouble free for almost 3 years. In talking with the service center, who did well, all things considered, told me they were having some pretty serious quality issues at the time though, so I am inclined to believe you wouldn't have issues, but I bought the super high end partially thinking I wouldn't have to worry about it. Had I gone with the cheapest thing on Amazon, I may or may not have been covered, but at least I could have been back up and running in a couple of days. (remember when Amazon prime was 2 days... ah I miss those days!)

Anyway, I have a few friends who have the Growatt in their rigs running for a few months now with no complaints, so I went ahead and ordered one of those this time.
Did you go with Growwatt? And how is it now?

I responded to just about everyone in this search and let see if anyone give an update.

I want to go 48v and only because of cost of copper and 5he mini split I want 42 seer is 240v.

I'm 48v. But love my growatt spf6000t and my spf12000tdvm mpv. We run off our 12k 100% but the 6k is our backup as we are completely off grid.

Did you go with Growwatt? And how is it now?
Working like a champ. My only real irritation has been that the inverter needs 24v to work, so a couple of times I ran the luthium to cuttoff on my DC feed side, and then its dead. Instead of just needing to plug in or wait for the sun to come out, I have to jump start the batteries to get the inverter to wake up in order to charge. I installed a DC cutoff now that fixed that problem, but it was annoying. Been living off of the Growatt for 3 months in MX though and that is the only issues I have had.
If you enjoy geeking out on the numbers though, the growatt app leaves a bit to be desired compared to victron, but personally I prefer set it and forget it, so that doesn't bother me

I'm 48v with the Growatt SPF-5000-ES. Loving it.

Working like a champ. My only real irritation has been that the inverter needs 24v to work, so a couple of times I ran the luthium to cuttoff on my DC feed side, and then its dead. Instead of just needing to plug in or wait for the sun to come out, I have to jump start the batteries to get the inverter to wake up in order to charge. I installed a DC cutoff now that fixed that problem, but it was annoying. Been living off of the Growatt for 3 months in MX though and that is the only issues I have had.
If you enjoy geeking out on the numbers though, the growatt app leaves a bit to be desired compared to victron, but personally I prefer set it and forget it, so that doesn't bother me
Oh lord yes the growatt app is a pain. And isn't real-time.

Back